Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Crosstour EX-L all wheel drive brakes are making a hollow 'donk' sound at low speeds when I press or left off the petal.

Anyone know what the issue may be?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
Tell us more. How many miles on the vehicle? How many miles since the last brake job? Can you record the sound? Is it coming from front or rear or perhaps from the dash area, like behind the speedometer? If I had to guess I would say the brake booster, but just guessing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
160k miles on the CT, rear brake pads replaced 35k miles ago, front pads unknown. The sound is coming from the car when I press down or release the brake petal at low speeds.

What is a brake booster and how often does it need to be replaced/why would it fail?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m experiencing the same thing at about 148k miles. Do you also get a loud click when shifting into D after reversing?
I’m wondering if there is something wearing out in or around the transfer case or front CV joints. My brakes work just fine.
Very interested to hear what people think on this one.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
160k miles on the CT, rear brake pads replaced 35k miles ago, front pads unknown. The sound is coming from the car when I press down or release the brake petal at low speeds.

What is a brake booster and how often does it need to be replaced/why would it fail?
Can you elaborate where the noise is coming from. Roll down your window and with your head partially out, often you can determine if it is front or rear of the driver. Could it sound like its coming from the engine compartment? Sometimes, with someone in the passenger seat and window down, they can listen to the right side of the car. Who replaced the front brake pads at 35k? Was it Honda OEM pads or some after market brake pads?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My Crosstours have always made a brake noise on releasing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you elaborate where the noise is coming from. Roll down your window and with your head partially out, often you can determine if it is front or rear of the driver. Could it sound like its coming from the engine compartment? Sometimes, with someone in the passenger seat and window down, they can listen to the right side of the car. Who replaced the front brake pads at 35k? Was it Honda OEM pads or some after market brake pads?
The issue is intermittent. I haven't yet figured out what conditions make it occur. Also, I misspoke earlier. Our CT has 148k miles, not 160k and rear Honda OEM pads were installed at 125k miles.

The sound seems to be coming from behind the dash/brake petal/somewhere in the engine compartment? I don't know. It's hard to tell.

I will be dropping our CT off at a local shop for a free brake inspection next week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts