Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year ago my VSA and AVS lights came on. I brought to a shop and he told him it was two sensors needed to be replaced. The codes were 121-11 and 66-13. He told me it wasn't a big deal and I could continue driving it with no safety issues.

About a month ago the break warning light came on. The brakes felt spongy and I lost confidence in them. I went on alot of forums and tried the following steps:
Checked fuses, replaced master cylinder, new pads around, bled system, confirmed brake booster is not leaking.
I just finished installing the new master and it feels better, but the light came back on. The confusion for me sometimes it doesn't come on after an hour drive, sometimes it is on in seconds, more often however, it comes on when I am sitting in the driveway in park.

I read on this site there is an ABS module that can cause this issue, but that thread seemed to be all the issues arise at once and mine were spread out. Any other things to try? Suggestions?

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Sean,

I had exactly the same issue with my 2011 FWD V6. The error code read 121-11 and 66-13. My ABS, break, and AVS lights kept coming on - not necessarily all three, but random combinations of them.

It is not the sensor issue. It is the ABS module being broken. The solution is to buy a used ABS module and replace the whole thing. The cheapest one sold on Ebay is 300 dollars ish. I was cheap so waited until I could score one from a local junk yard for 100. And had a local repair store to install it for me for 300. The installation of the ABS module is fairly easy and DIY-able. However, you need to bleed and replace the brake fluid after installing the ABS module. That took time and I don't want to mess with braking system.

So I got it fixed for 400. Now the codes are gone and lights never come on again (knock on wood). You should be able to solve yours by going through the same process. Best luck!

Joe

· Registered
4 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention. It is totally safe to drive. I drove with the three lights on for over 1 year, debating whether I should spend a big amount to fix the issue that does not affect normal driving.

Even the brake light is on, brakes still functions properly. I guess it just means the ABS part of breaking system is not on.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Joey, thank you for the response. I took some advice of yours and I did purchase a used ABS control module. I just installed it. I bled the system. I left the car run for 10 minutes before taking it out and the lights all came back on. I now trying to determine if there's a sensor somewhere else that's gone haywire. The car didn't move so it shouldn't have been a wheel sensor.

Losing my mind

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi Sean,

So sorry to hear that. Given that my error codes are exactly the same as yours, I still believe it is the abs module problem, not the sensors.

I bought ABS part but had the repair done by a shop. So I can think a couple of possibilities why yours was not fixed. First, the shop did mention reprogramming. I don't know if that was necessary. But the shop suggested it was a step needed. Second, you have to make sure the number on your old abs and the used replacement are exactly the same. Mine is TP6A0. I got one with the same number. If the number does not match, it won't work.

I suggest towing your car to a repair store and have them take a look at it.

Best luck!

· Registered
1 Posts
Hi Sean,

I had exactly the same issue with my 2011 FWD V6. The error code read 121-11 and 66-13. My ABS, break, and AVS lights kept coming on - not necessarily all three, but random combinations of them.

It is not the sensor issue. It is the ABS module being broken. The solution is to buy a used ABS module and replace the whole thing. The cheapest one sold on Ebay is 300 dollars ish. I was cheap so waited until I could score one from a local junk yard for 100. And had a local repair store to install it for me for 300. The installation of the ABS module is fairly easy and DIY-able. However, you need to bleed and replace the brake fluid after installing the ABS module. That took time and I don't want to mess with braking system.

So I got it fixed for 400. Now the codes are gone and lights never come on again (knock on wood). You should be able to solve yours by going through the same process. Best luck!

Joe
Hi Sean,

Joe
Hi - I have the same issue with my 2012 Crosstour with 125k miles. The ABS and traction lights have been on for a couple months. my mechanic said he’s getting a code that the VSA modulator went bad. He suggested seeing if it needed a software update from the dealer. No luck - and the dealer tells me a replacement will cost $2700! The part alone is $2200, and back ordered for an unknown amount of time.

My mechanic, who is a good guy, said he can’t find any from his suppliers either. He even asked his local salvage yard and all say they won’t sell a used VSA modulator because of liability issues. But it sounds like some people on these forums have bought used, either online or directly from junkyards. I don’t know cars well enough to go scavenge one myself, but I can’t afford Honda’s price either.

I can keep driving without traction control and ABS (traction control in my 1985 Delta 88 was 50 lbs of kitty litter in the trunk) but I do drive quite a bit in snow and ice, so it’s not ideal. Any advice on figuring out the exact model number VSA I need? Supposedly Accords and Crosstour have the same engine. And any advice on a reliable online vendor? If my dad were still alive, he’d have scavenged one from the junkyard already, but I don’t know cars well enough to try that.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts