Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought it on Dec. 31 2009. It replaced my Toyota Camry Wagon V6 and serves the same function... hauling shiny iron and heavy lead to shooting ranges.

My wife knows me pretty well, so when she came out in the garage the night it came home and found me prying-off the shiny bits with a spatula and a heat gun, she barely blinked an eye.

The name HONDA does not appear anywhere on it, thus a lot of people give it even stranger looks than they might since it was badged, or so I'm guessing.

The extension cord shown is a factory engine block heater. Well worth the money up here in the frozen North. Idiotically simple to install, just a screw cap- gone are the days of having to knock out a freeze plug with a big screwdriver and 3# sledge.

In front of the radiator is seen 1/4" hardware cloth secured with cable ties. Cheaper than a radiator repair.

The LED Light Bar is a VISION-X that is wired to the hi-beam/running light circuit, drawing maybe .2 Amps. When I flick it on, the reflections off of any street sign is blinding. Deer are clearly lit up 400+ feet away.

Mounting the LED bar, due to the lack of structural steel up front was a minor engineering nightmare and miracle. That's a sheet of Lexan across the front of it.

What a great car the Crosstour has been in this first 13 months. 15,000 miles in and it's a workhorse. No one has ever sat in the rear seat, it's always been folded down.

Why they made this very subdued silver-grey car with gaudy silver trim, I still can't figure that one out. The self adhesive material black self adhesive plastic I purchased in sheets from Kinko's sign making department. It's been bulletproof in a lot of other exterior projects including hulls of sailboats.

Just waiting for the headlight cover protectors to get made by my neighbors at WeatherTech MacNeil but I'm not holding my breath.

That, and a brush guard.... in black, please.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'm curious about the light bar. Is it a "driving" beam or more of a flood beam? I wouldn't mind adding something like that to my truck for the little backwoods excursions, but it would have to be aimable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm curious about the light bar. Is it a "driving" beam or more of a flood beam? I wouldn't mind adding something like that to my truck for the little backwoods excursions, but it would have to be aimable.
Vision-X seems to be the market leader in these critters, I'm sure they were first used by NASA, but the Police buy them at insanely high prices. I got this one off of eBay for fairly cheap- it was originally a white shell model being liquidated by a marine dealer.

They come in two styles, the beam is either a flood pattern or a "euro" which is lensed and aimed as a trapezoidal beam. there are references to spot patterns, but I have never seen one for sale. I have a portable battery powered 12v model for hand-held use, and it has a very intense spot pattern.

I have seen some very nice knock-offs that are breaking the price strangle-hold on these unique lights by Vision-X and their curious pricing tier structure for distributors/dealers. I turned my pal on to these- he owns a huge forklift company and he attempted to deal with them on 50+ units. Their dealer prices left him no room for profit and their distributor buy-in was $5,000+ of a package array of models.

Watch for them on eBay. Occasionally the larger ones come through reasonably, but they don't last long... this was a "buy it now" and I bought both that the guy had. The other one is on our MR2.

http://www.visionxusa.com/index.html is their link. I was wrong in the first post about the amperage, but still less than 10 amps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cool, I like a lot of the stuff they have. I'm suprised your state allows you to buy stuff like that, I figured they had bled the working people dry with that new 66% tax increase lol

·
Registered
123 Posts
How do you do the debadging without damaging the paint finish? Is it pretty straightforward?
The reason I ask specifically is the dealer's big awful chrome gaudy ad that I'm hauling around. I want to get that thing off ASAP.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I did it with an old hair dryer that I keep in the garage. Nothing fancy. Just let it get real hot.

Then I gently lifted/pried it with my long, thin bladed pocket knife and a very light touch.

The H badge on the glass was easy to pry off. The logo on the painted lid itself, I just lifted it slowly as I heated it.

A lot of people use heat and then "saw" it off with dental floss. That works, too.

You can clean the glass with a flat razor blade, a rub of ether (better starting fluid brands) made all the residue disappear.

I didn't feel like disassembling the 307 fasteners that hold the front grille assembly on, so that particular H got popped off with the help of two thin, flat bladed screwdrivers. I filled the very small 1/8" holes with matching plastic material.

The steering wheel center H simply got covered with a Mugen emblem I picked up from Japan on eBay... same with the wheel cover centers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mugen_Motorsports

The word Honda simply does not appear on this mystery beast. I get a lot of questions. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts