Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm not sure this is the correct forum topic to post this, so if it isn't I am hopeful the moderator will move it for me.

I'm a new CT owner, and new to the CT Forums. I purchased a new 2010 CT three weeks ago, currently has 787 miles, it is an EX-L and has 4WD. The dealer I purchased it from is 80 miles from where I live, so I don't just jump up and go ask the dealer questions when I have a problem with my Honda's (This is my fourth Honda purchase, my wife and I love Honda cars). Yes, I live in a rual area of NM, my options are limited and we have to plan our trips out of town to make the most of them.

Last week we began hearing a knock in our front end. The sound is similiar to that in a gear box when there is slack and the gears hit. At first I thought it might be the breaks; however, the knock sound is heard when we accelerate, and when we slow down regardless of whether or not the breaks are applied.

I am sure the knock is from the front of the car. I listened outside the car as it was backed up and moved forward and I believe that the knock is not from the breaks, but more under the engine. Since the knock was first apparent, it seems to be louder, but I admit it could be that I am more aware of it now and could be impartial because of that.

I am going to the dealer next week to have them look at it, but I was hoping someone on this forum would have an idea of what could be causing this so I could be more helpful to the dealer when talking to them about it. Your help is welcomed. Richard

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey Richard .. Congrats on the CT -- it's one fine ride, and welcome to the forum.

I suspect that knock is transmission related and altho I don't get a noise at the same time as you do, I get a knock sound when engaging the tranny into drive while rolling downhill slightly and turning. (such as at the foot of my driveway) I've had other Hondas that do this so I'm not worried about it.
I'm sure the dealer will shed more light on it for you but I'd bet he relates it to the trans. G/L with that. It's a shame you have to travel so far for service and I'm surprised that there's no Honda dealer in Carlsbad.
You anywhere near Albuquerque? I have a friend there who tells me it snows there on occasion so your 4WD will come in handy on those bad winter days.

Up here in southern Ontario we can get a fair amount of snow so I know my 4WD will help me get thru winters.

Enjoy, and let us know what you find out about the "knock".

Colin.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like you are describing the traditional Accord clunky transmission noise. I would check it out either way though, as it could be something in the AWD system. I have a buddy that swears his transmission is going to fall out (Honda CRV) as his makes a similar noise, but nothing ever fails. It has been doing it since day one as well.

Dave

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Richard .. Congrats on the CT -- it's one fine ride, and welcome to the forum.

I suspect that knock is transmission related and altho I don't get a noise at the same time as you do, I get a knock sound when engaging the tranny into drive while rolling downhill slightly and turning. (such as at the foot of my driveway) I've had other Hondas that do this so I'm not worried about it.
I'm sure the dealer will shed more light on it for you but I'd bet he relates it to the trans. G/L with that. It's a shame you have to travel so far for service and I'm surprised that there's no Honda dealer in Carlsbad.
You anywhere near Albuquerque? I have a friend there who tells me it snows there on occasion so your 4WD will come in handy on those bad winter days.

Up here in southern Ontario we can get a fair amount of snow so I know my 4WD will help me get thru winters.

Enjoy, and let us know what you find out about the "knock".

Colin.
Thanks for your reply. We do have a honda dealer in Carlsbad, but they are not authorized to perform warranty work. This dealership is actually part of the one that I purchased the car from.

We are a long way from Albuquerque, its 4 1/2 hours north of us. We use to get snow, lots of it, but the climate has changed over the years, so now we get nothing more than a dusting. El Paso, TX is actually closer, but that is not a safe place to go to, and has not been for many years. You're not assured your car will be waiting on you when you come out of a store after shopping, and its just dirty down there.

Anyway, I don't think this problem is just a clunky transmission, as Davd Blain suggests, (but I appreciate the input), and even if it is, I'm not willing to live with it. It doesn't sound normal. I agree that it sounds like it is a transmission issue, and might be related to the AWD.

Thanks everyone. Looks like this is an uncommon issue, I was not able to find any other threads on it in this Forum. Richard

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks for your reply. We do have a honda dealer in Carlsbad, but they are not authorized to perform warranty work. This dealership is actually part of the one that I purchased the car from.

We are a long way from Albuquerque, its 4 1/2 hours north of us. We use to get snow, lots of it, but the climate has changed over the years, so now we get nothing more than a dusting. El Paso, TX is actually closer, but that is not a safe place to go to, and has not been for many years. You're not assured your car will be waiting on you when you come out of a store after shopping, and its just dirty down there.

Anyway, I don't think this problem is just a clunky transmission, as Davd Blain suggests, (but I appreciate the input), and even if it is, I'm not willing to live with it. It doesn't sound normal. I agree that it sounds like it is a transmission issue, and might be related to the AWD.

Thanks everyone. Looks like this is an uncommon issue, I was not able to find any other threads on it in this Forum. Richard
Sounds strange, Richard.....Please let us know what the dealer says about it.
G/L
Colin

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get the "knock" fixed today. I drove up to Roswell, NM to the dealer and took the mechanic for a short drive in their lot. It was easy to get the knock to sound off. However, it took longer to fix it. The mechanic was able to duplicate the sound on the lift, but was not able to identify its source. He had to call Honda Tech Support, but after 4 hours I got the car back all fixed.

The knock was caused by two tie rods that were loose, one worse than the other. No damage, nor replaced parts, just had to tighten them up. I was very pleased that the transmission was not the problem.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Get the "knock" fixed today. I drove up to Roswell, NM to the dealer and took the mechanic for a short drive in their lot. It was easy to get the knock to sound off. However, it took longer to fix it. The mechanic was able to duplicate the sound on the lift, but was not able to identify its source. He had to call Honda Tech Support, but after 4 hours I got the car back all fixed.

The knock was caused by two tie rods that were loose, one worse than the other. No damage, nor replaced parts, just had to tighten them up. I was very pleased that the transmission was not the problem.
Wow, that's a surprise. 2 tie rods loose. I just might have a look at mine sometime and see if it came along the same line :eek:

Thanks for letting us know Richard.

C.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts