Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just today I got a 2012 Honda Crosstour EX-L without navigation, absolutely loving it so far. The only thing is I cannot seem to get music to play from my phone (using Spotify) no matter what I do. I’ve paired it to Bluetooth using the handsfreelink thing and I cannot figure out how to play music through that, if that is even possible. When I try to use the usb input in the center storage area between the seats it connects as an iPod and it plays on my phone silently but won’t go through to the car speakers. The same situation happened when I tried with an actual AUX cord. The only thing that comes up on the screen is “no song”. I double checked each time to make sure the volume was up in the car and on my phone. I can’t find anything online about this and I’m just wondering if anyone experienced the same scenario & had a solution? Not sure if there’s something I’m missing!

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
AUX/USB Question

Hi Marissa and welcome. These are awesome cars and I know you will enjoy driving, modifying and working on yours.

Honda made a number of radio changes between 2010 and now; sometimes within a model group and sometimes among all the models. For example, the system in my wife's 2015 CR-V is a new/more advanced system than the one in my 2015 CrossTour. I guess they thought that, since they were doing away with the CT, no need to upgrade the radio. However, I have a power/volume knob an she doesn't. (This is a huge issue for Honda, and they've now gone back to a power/volume knob).

First things first; I assume that:

Music plays fine on your phone without headphones.
When you plug in headphones, it plays through your headphones just fine.
That your AUX cord is a working cord.

Here's how I'd start:(You may have already done this but it's how I'd begin)

With your system "on" (car running) tune to an FM station and make sure music plays at a volume that works.
Turn the volume on your phone up all the way, and start a song through the phone speaker.
Plug the AUX cord into he phone (that should stop the phone speaker)
Choose "AUX" on the display
Plug the AUX cord into your console

Try that, and let us know how things turn out. There are some pretty good problem solvers on this forum and we'll see if we can help you figure it out.

·
Registered
85 Posts
no bluetooth for music

you cannot play music over bluetooth in that year/model. i have the same car and found it frustrating when i first purchased mine as well. i currently use a bluetooth adapter that plugs into the AUX (headphone) jack.

Doug has some good advice. check to make sure your AUX jack is working on both your phone and car. Let us know if you find a resolution or have further questions

Welcome to the club!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I assume you mean you are plugging in a USB cord to your iPod.

In that case there's something you have to know:
You MUST have at least 1 song in your iTunes library.

When you plug in the USB it laods a list of songs in iTunes on your device and sends it to the car - if that lis tis blank then it will not play sound of control any audio from the phone or ipod.

So you can't use Spotify or Google Music or Pandora or anything else unless you have 1 song in your iTunes music library.

Once at least 1 song is on there it'll pick the first song alphabetically and try to play every-time you plug in the car.

I made a 40 minute long "silent" mp3 and called it "AAAAAAAAAAAA" jsut for that reason.

Once you have a song the car will recognize your device and you'll be able to play songs from other apps.

It's not intuitive - and it doesn't really make sense, but it is the answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I havent tried to play music yet but its getting closer, I need a computer and a MP3 player lol but what ive read and heard is there is a sequence that needs to be followed.

First plug in your AUX cord, Second puch your AUX button, then plug in your MP3 player and it should recognize it.
Like I said I havent tried this yet but that will be the route I go, then to the users manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I assume you mean you are plugging in a USB cord to your iPod.

In that case there's something you have to know:
You MUST have at least 1 song in your iTunes library.

When you plug in the USB it laods a list of songs in iTunes on your device and sends it to the car - if that lis tis blank then it will not play sound of control any audio from the phone or ipod.

So you can't use Spotify or Google Music or Pandora or anything else unless you have 1 song in your iTunes music library.

Once at least 1 song is on there it'll pick the first song alphabetically and try to play every-time you plug in the car.

I made a 40 minute long "silent" mp3 and called it "AAAAAAAAAAAA" jsut for that reason.

Once you have a song the car will recognize your device and you'll be able to play songs from other apps.

It's not intuitive - and it doesn't really make sense, but it is the answer.
I tried this with my 2012 Crosstour and it worked perfectly!! I bought a .69 cent song on the iTunes store and the iPhone was recognized immediately. Spotify works fine and the dash and steering wheel controls work for all functions. (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts