1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have you asked the manufacturer of these things?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sent an email but they have not responded yet... Maybe because of the holiday weekend...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Possibly. I have to wonder if the wiring would match up properly, or if they would even work at all. These things don't look all that well made to me, and the low-budget website doesn't make me feel any more confident about the seller or the product. Heck, the copyright says it all: "Copyright © 2007 Your store name here All Rights Reserved."

You are braver than I am if you buy from this place.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL if I can be honest I did not look past the mirrors. They're aftermarket replicas of the JDM Inspire (Accord) mirrors. Ordering these mirrors from Japan will probably run about 500 bucks, but they will be from Honda...

(This car needs to be finished lol...)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yeah, Honda parts would definitely be more expensive, but it might be worth it. Not sure, though, but that website you linked to in your original post just seems too shady. I do like the idea, and wish that the Crosstour had mirrors like these.

I added Muth Mirrors to my Goldwing and love them. They add embedded (behind the mirror) turn signals. I also want to add these to the Crosstour, but last I checked they were not available. See here: http://www.muthco.com/

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It seems like Muth focuses on truck mirrors... I will do some homework on the mirrors and see if I can find authentic Honda mirrors... If I am able to find a person and we can get enough people to commit, we also might be able to do a group purchase and get some kind of discount...

·
Registered
241 Posts
http://www.autosignalparts.com/honda-accord-signal-side-mirror-cover-pair-sae-0809.html

I was looking at these mirrors and they can auto fold when you turn the car off and also for extra they can tilt down (which our CTs already do)... Since our CTs already tilt down to park, would installing these mean we would lose the function, requiring to buy the piece?
I looked at website you posted and step reads:
2.The side mirror open when you turn-on the engine. Easy Installation!

The side mirror open? Made in China I guess? Would be nice though.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The JDM Inspire headlights will run between 350 and 450 bucks... They look absolutely awesome... Honda has the most ridiculous upgrades for their cars over in Japan... You think it they make it available lol...

Here's a sexy sample of the JDM ones... The immediate difference is noticeable lol (From the other forum lol)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
LMAO you're right... I hope that was just a green screen and they didn't actually bring one over here lol...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just looked on the Honda Japanese website (well at the pics) and the mirrors fold in and tilt down when put in reverse... Should be a straight swap if you don't want them to fold in when you turn off the car

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hey guys, don't forget, this car isn't available in Japan, no such thing as JDM parts for a CT, its a N. American vehicle only at this point. If someone claims to be selling you a JDM part, they're lying.

I've seen "JDM" parts for sale for my mustang, which has NEVER been built for japan, so there is no way in hell there is a Japanese Direct Market part for it.

"JDM" started getting tossed around a lot after "The Slow and the Curious" came out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Lol you're absolutely right... JDM doesn't mean much to sellers anymore... I have completely stopped looking into the mirrors in the OP. The pics I posted are from the Honda Inspire, which our Accord in Japan. But the US accord sedan mirrors are exactly the same as the mirrors on our CT. These would fit perfectly since they have the same mount... Not only do they fold in when put in park, but they tilt down when put in reverse. I tried asking some questions about the mirrors on the other forum but went completely ignored (answered other ppls questions but not what I asked). Looks like I'll have to investigate elsewhere...

·
Registered
621 Posts
Assuming that these mirrors fit the inspire... and the inspire is the accord.. and the accord's mirrors are the same as the Crosstour's.. then I think there is high potential here.

My only question would be if the wiring harness / carputer is equiped to handle Folding / Turn Signal functions.

(I have personally had experience with car manufactures that either 1) don't include any functionality potential above the trim level or 2) include *all* wiring harnesses and functionality across the board, so upgrades are just plug-and-play. This is my first Honda so I don't know where they fall into this spectrum yet. )

I was thinking today that I would see what the harness looks like going to each mirror... but I certainly don't have any time to do this in the near future.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to put everyone's mind at ease in regards to whether the mirrors would fit or not, many people have done the mod to their Accord sedans here in the states and it is literally a direct swap. In terms of adding the LED turn signal feature I believe there is a video for the sedan (I will post in a few). The CT should not be much different.

The most important part to this actually fitting would be the base that mounts to the door. Even if the mounts don't match up (which I'm sure we won't have to worry about), the rest of the mirror can mount up to the base already on the CT. I did some research through the Honda Parts Catalog and I looked up the mirrors for both 2010 CT trims and 2010 Accord sedan.

Here's what the catalog shows for the right mirror assembly for the Accord:
76208-TA5-A11 008 001 MIRROR ASSY., R. (R1400) (R.C.)(HEATED)
Now here's the CT EX-L:
76208-TP6-A21 008 001 MIRROR ASSY., R. DOOR (R.C.)(HEATED)(MEMORY)
Now here's the CT EX:
76208-TP6-A11 008 001 MIRROR ASSY., R. DOOR (R.C.)(HEATED)
The mirror size for all 3 mirrors is R1400...

I could not find the Parts Catalog for the 2011 Accord sedan on the website I used but I do know that the EX-L models do bring the memory functions for driver 1 and driver 2. I do not know if the memory applies to the seats and mirrors like in the CT (could be just the seats).

Xaque, I know you know how to interpret the part numbers what do you think? From what I see the difference seems to be cause of the memory function, the parts numbers are different lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here's what the catalog shows for the right mirror assembly for the
Accord: 76208-TA5-A11 008 001
MIRROR ASSY., R. (R1400) (R.C.)(HEATED)

CT EX-L: 76208-TP6-A21 008 001
MIRROR ASSY., R. DOOR (R.C.)(HEATED)(MEMORY)

CT EX: 76208-TP6-A11 008 001
MIRROR ASSY., R. DOOR (R.C.)(HEATED)

The mirror size for all 3 mirrors is R1400...

Xaque, I know you know how to interpret the part numbers what do you think?
Here is what I've learned about Honda part numbers:
(This was posted by someone else in reference to their motorcycle division, but it appears the same general rules apply)

he first 5 digits are the product class-all oil filters start with 15410, kickstarters 28300,etc. there may be minor variations here but this generally holds true.

Middle 3 numbers/letters are called the product code. this is the bike that the part was ORIGINALLY developed for. KZ3 is a CR250. KZ4 is CR125. CRF450 is MEB. Original CR125 elsinore is 360. You get the idea.

The final 3 digits/letters pertain to the version of the part and who they sorced it from when they have multiple suppliers of the same basic part. The first run of any given part is often "000", where as they will often update a part to make it better, and it's suffex will change to "001"

These are the cliff notes...
That all said... there isn't much that the part numbers are telling me (perhaps someone else can chime in).

Basically, unless part numbers are exactly the same, I never trust to decipher them. I've always been more of a "hands-on" type of person.

Remember, even though the Crosstour is based on the Accord, and shares much of the same items, it's isn't the same... they are two completely different cars and there are many differences (whether is be the size/geometry of components, or even just the materials used).

Here are my thoughts:

Step 1: Does the part fit? In this case, do the mirror mounting points match up?

This is the biggest hurdle for taking parts across product lines... the rest after this is all well within the modding realm... just a question of how involved you want to get.

Step 2: Are there electrical components? And if so, are there connectors? As a general rule, electrical components are often shared across product lines as much as possible to cut down on expense / complication.

If the part comes from the same generation, and the connectors are the same, it's more likely than not going to mate up fine.

(This goes for "simple" components, mirrors, lamps, etc... more complicated things that have a microprocessor component should be assumed to be non-compatible until proven otherwise.)

(And sometimes, even if the connectors are different, if it's a "simple" component, harnesses and connectors can be modded to work.)

If we have established that the mirrors in question will match up that's the first big hurdle.

As far as Step 2 goes, here is what I expect us to discover:

I'm expecting that the signal for a Fold-In or Turn Signal action wont being available at the mirror. As far as I know, the Crosstour wasn't designed to accomodate these functions, and thus, there wouldn't be any way for it to be activated at the mirror location.

Now, I could be *way* off here... perhaps Honda was anticipating these options in other markets and incorporated the function in the original design... but again, not knowing how Honda builds their cars, I wont know until I (or someone else) cracks that door open and sees what's coming through that mirror harness.

Beyond that, because I'm not expecting the functionality to be there in the vehicle harness, I'm anticipating that the harness plug will be different. Not a big problem, a little harness splicing and wiring isn't a *big* problem... but just one more thing that requires work.

But again, depending on how Honda designs its parts, there is a possibility that the harness plugs will be exactly the same... just without the extra pins/leads for the additional functionality.

Alright, so I've rambled a lot here... but here is the take-away.

I don't think we can be 100% sure until we can see the harness at the mirror, and the harness at the door (and onto that, someone probing the door harness to see what signals it is sending).

*But*

If the mirror mounts up fine... getting those turn lamp and park signals to the door is completely within the realm of possibility... I've wired up for more complicated actions in cars.

There... I hope that was clear.

:p

All in all, I don't care about the folding mirrors... but hot damn do I want some of 'em turn signals!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts