Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my CT last October, so I never got to use the A/C, until last week. It's been in the 80's and humid, so I set my A/C auto temp to 75, thinking that would be a comfortable setting (my home A/C is set to 78, which is fine). Well, it was not. The air coming out of the vents was barely cool; it felt like a fan. So, I started cranking the temp down. It wasn't until I hit 68 that I noticed a difference, and settled on 66 as the optimum comfort level. This doesn't seem right to me. If I set my home A/C to 66, I'd freeze to death! Is my A/C not working as it should?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got my CT last October, so I never got to use the A/C, until last week. It's been in the 80's and humid, so I set my A/C auto temp to 75, thinking that would be a comfortable setting (my home A/C is set to 78, which is fine). Well, it was not. The air coming out of the vents was barely cool; it felt like a fan. So, I started cranking the temp down. It wasn't until I hit 68 that I noticed a difference, and settled on 66 as the optimum comfort level. This doesn't seem right to me. If I set my home A/C to 66, I'd freeze to death! Is my A/C not working as it should?
I think something is wrong. Living in Florida, our temps have been in the 90's I set my CT air at 74 degrees and its more than comfortable.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ours stays on 72 and it's more than fine, and it's been 91* and 90% humifity here for the last couple weeks

·
Registered
60 Posts
just a thought .. maybe you forgot to press and turn "On" A/C

·
Registered
111 Posts
Something is not right. In the "auto"mode the set point should be achieved. When needed the system will use the recirculate mode for rapid cooling and then go to outside air. You should not have to turn on or off any thing else. If you are not getting cold air after using the auto mode try to control it manually. Hit the a/c button (auto will shut off) then hit the recirculate button, turn down the temp and crank up the fan. If it doesn't get cold, then it is and a/c issue, if it does it is a control issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Is it possible you don't have the dual-zones synch'ed up? Maybe the drivers side of the car is 66 and the passenger side of the car is a higher temp setting.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Sun Roof....Open or closed?
I have notied if I leave the sun roof open it takes the AC as long time to catch up. It takes me about 30 minutes to get home and if the temp outside is above 80 and I left my sun roof open the AC is working the whole way home

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sun roof closed. Dual zones synch by default. I will have to make an appointment with the dealer. Thanks, folks.

·
Registered
622 Posts
A day late from Captain Obvious here, yep, it has a problem.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agreed that there is a problem.... My auto-climate works great....in fact, I never have to open a window or touch anything and I'm impressed how the temperature holds constant to what I have set. I'm also impressed at how quickly and quietly the car cools/heats to the desired temp.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Something is not right. In the "auto"mode the set point should be achieved. When needed the system will use the recirculate mode for rapid cooling and then go to outside air. You should not have to turn on or off any thing else. If you are not getting cold air after using the auto mode try to control it manually. Hit the a/c button (auto will shut off) then hit the recirculate button, turn down the temp and crank up the fan. If it doesn't get cold, then it is and a/c issue, if it does it is a control issue.
It gets cold, for sure, but only after I crank it down to at least 66. I was thinking maybe it was low on Freon (or whatever they use these days). I'll see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same issue

I have exactly the same issue as drumslinger started this thread with: my a/c is useless until it is set to 66 degrees (I found the same set point). This is my first Honda and I also bought it last fall. I just assumed that Honda air-conditioning was terrible.

·
Registered
184 Posts
With the Texas heat these past few months hitting the 100's+ ... I only know of two modes... Off and FULL BLAST!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Oh yeah... Also.. I forgot to mention that having the recycle mode on, increases the A/C's efficency considerably.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I can honestly say that I have not experienced any problems with the AC.

I will say that sometimes it feels like the AUTO setting isn't as cold as it *cold* be, but it seems to be set at a temperature that finds a balance between cooling the car quickly but not turning the passengers into popsicles.

(also, if the interior temp is above a certain point, the RECIRC will come on automatically until the temp cools down a considerable amount)

I think my biggest complaint is that sometimes it's too cold (such as when I turn into the sun and it adjusts the temp accordingly)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, dealer did a thorough check and test and found...you guessed it...nothing wrong. He said it was functioning normally. He read 38-42 degrees at the vents. He said the computer decides the mixture of warm air to cold and adjusts as needed. He said at 72, there is a mixture of warm and cool. The only way to get all cold air was to put it on Lo. He said the black leather absorbed the sun's heat and re-radiated it, which makes the A/C work harder. Also, the temp sensor is located on the center stack, near the driver's foot, so that could contribute to the issue. Anyway...66 is where I keep it on most hot days, and I am comfortable.

·
Registered
184 Posts
OK, dealer did a thorough check and test and found...you guessed it...nothing wrong. He said it was functioning normally. He read 38-42 degrees at the vents. He said the computer decides the mixture of warm air to cold and adjusts as needed. He said at 72, there is a mixture of warm and cool. The only way to get all cold air was to put it on Lo. He said the black leather absorbed the sun's heat and re-radiated it, which makes the A/C work harder. Also, the temp sensor is located on the center stack, near the driver's foot, so that could contribute to the issue. Anyway...66 is where I keep it on most hot days, and I am comfortable.
WOW! 66? You northerners have some mighty thick blood. I too have black leather and I admit the cabin gets a bit intolerable in the summer, but I still do 68 for the first 8 -10 min. then I dial it up to 72. Keeping that in mind, my BF tells me that *I* have it set way too cold. :rolleyes:

I guess my point is that everyone probably exeriences the climate control differently ... dependant on the individuals' physiology. And having the temp sensor near the driver's foot is at an odd location, but that's probably the most ambient, or neutral location they can find where it's least affected by direct temperature influences.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Since this post started I have been keeping an eye out on the AC. I think it works OK, not great but OK. I have noticed if it is really humid outside the light recicr stays on longer if my CT has been parked in the sun all day. I have a 30 min drive home each day mostly highway and the recirc light stays on the whole time. In the morning the light will come on but go out after about 5 minutes. It has been very humid and in the 90's here in the Sunflower State. My guess is this pretty normal for all modern auto AC. Car makers are trying to balance between gas milage and comfort. I remember in my 92 Chevy Truck if I cranked that AC down I could store meat in the cab of the truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts