Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had my 2011 CT for four years. The alternator has failed multiple times. Has anyone had this problem or know what could be causing the issue.
Hello, is there any evidence of oil leaking into the body of the alternator? Were they remanufactured or new. My 2012 failed and it took two to get a good one. They were from advanced auto parts. OEM alternators are quite expensive. Check that you have no bad connections burnt pins etc…..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had my 2011 CT for four years. The alternator has failed multiple times. Has anyone had this problem or know what could be causing the issue.
Have you changed anything to the electrical system, such as a stereo system?
Sometimes a short develops within the battery especially from heavy shock, which can cause a charging system failure. how old is the battery?
Have you had the electrical system checked for a short circuit?

·
Registered
200 Posts
As mentioned about oil possibly being the cause. There is a known issue on V6 models, of oil dripping down into the alternator from the vtec solenoid assembly, just above the dipstick. This will cause alternator failure. The 2 gaskets need to be replaced at least once in the vehicles life.
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Rectangle Gesture

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, is there any evidence of oil leaking into the body of the alternator? Were they remanufactured or new. My 2012 failed and it took two to get a good one. They were from advanced auto parts. OEM alternators are quite expensive. Check that you have no bad connections burnt pins etc…..
I'll check to see if there's oil getting on it. All new from O'Reilly. Thank you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sometimes a short develops within the battery especially from heavy shock, which can cause a charging system failure. how old is the battery?
I have not changed anything electronically.
I've not changed anything electrical in the car. The battery is new. My dome lights stopped working around the same time I started having problems with the alternator. I may need to have a electrical system check. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As mentioned about oil possibly being the cause. There is a known issue on V6 models, of oil dripping down into the alternator from the vtec solenoid assembly, just above the dipstick. This will cause alternator failure. The 2 gaskets need to be replaced at least once in the vehicles life.
View attachment 9970
View attachment 9971
Thanks this seems to be the most probable issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went through this, replaced alternator and spool valve solenoid from Amazon. (Do not get this or the gasket. The screen is not correct which throws code.) Ended up getting dorman complete spool valve. Also cut a piece of tin and mounted over alternator in case of future leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.