Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone

I bought a 2010 Accord Crosstour about a year and a half ago. 107k Miles on it. It was inspected wholesale. I was under the impression the dealer probably did the minimum to sell it so I was not expecting very much. At 121k miles I started to notice an extremely slight spudder/skip when the vehicle was at idle. over a few days that turned into a misfire and the engine light was on. I took it to my mechanic and he said the spark plugs looked awful and there was a misfire on cylinder 3. At that point he changed all the plugs and the oil. I also had the transmission fluid changed. I figured the dealer never changed the spark plugs.

Right now its at 140k miles. Today I noticed it doing the same small spudder/skip at idle and I am worried its the spark plugs being fouled up again. After reading about this issue with so many owners I am concerned. It seems like there is no fix for this. Should I just keep a set of spark plugs in my trunk? Any advice or tips from others who have had this issue?

I have an 82 mile round trip to work everyday. It is all highway on cruise control except for about 3 miles. So far I love the car and I hope to keep it. Unfortunately I am not thrilled about changing spark plugs every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Biscuits,
The factory spec calls for iridium sparkplugs in this engine. They cost more - under $10 on ebay - but they are very long lived and in my opinion (which is probably worth what you paid for it) they are well worth their cost. They should last at least 100k miles. Sorry, I don't know the factory spec'd number, but it should be in your owner's manual. Another low cost source is rockauto.com. Good luck. Dennis.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Always use the OEM plugs. If you have a v6 disable your vcm with an S-VCM or VCMuzzler module. Are you noticing any oil consumption?

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
The low-hanging fruit is making sure that you used iridium plugs. They should last 100,000 miles. I haven't experienced any of the issues you described with 78,000 miles. The VTC does, sometimes, make it feel like a shudder when the engine switches to/from 3 to 6 cylinders. I've never found this offensive or bothersome but some drivers do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, this sounds like the exact problem we had with my wife's 2011 Crosstour a couple years ago. I can't remember every specific detail, but I'll try my best. Excuse me if I get part of the technicals wrong here. We bought the car from the local Honda dealership used when it was a little over a year old with less than 20k miles on it. It's been a great car, and goes like hell in the snow here in the cold Nebraska winters. A couple years ago when the car had about 165k on it (she drives it A LOT of highway miles for her job) it started misfiring badly one day, with all kinds of lights popping up on the dash. We drove it back to the Honda dealership where we bought it, as we knew they had a top notch reputable shop. The car had always burned a little oil, which seemed unusual to me for a Honda, as we have owned several over the years. The shop told me the problem was the two outside cylinders (#1 & #3?) on the bank the VCM shuts down had oil fouled plugs. There is a Honda service bulletin to fix this. They have to partially disassemble the engine and put new oil rings on those cylinders to fix the problem. I thought it would cost me a fortune. Guess what? The entire service bulletin was warrantied - it didn't cost us a dime! I'm the 2nd owner with that many miles on it and it was still warrantied. They even gave my wife a car to drive (a BRAND NEW Accord with all of 7 miles on it!) for the two days they took to perform the engine work. I was shocked they had it done so fast. I talked to the mechanic that did the work and he said he had performed many of these service bulletins in the previous year. Ever since they did the engine work, we have had ZERO problems with it. Oh, and it doesn't burn ANY oil now, either. So, take your car to a reputable Honda dealership shop and have them look at it. They may fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am at 150K. Just had my second Coil Plug as Honda calls it fail. Replaced my spark plugs at the 105k as I was supposed too. No mention of replacing the Coil Plug. Guess what??? REPLACE your Coil Plug as well. They are not a forever part.
SUPER easy to do at home too. When one goes bad, it ruins the plug as well adding to the repair bill.

Searching around, I was gobsmacked at the Coil Plug cost variances. Dealers with online part sales portals list the MSRP of the Coil Plug as $99. They then discount them to around $65. My local dealer wanted $125! You can get them at the local autoparts store. However, none around me carry the OE Manufacturer (Hitachi) version in store. Part stores were $50-$60. You can order the Hitachi version for delivery in a few days. Or, I found the Hitachi one at Rock Auto for $35

In the end I ponied up for the make/model AutoZone had in stock so I could get my car back on the road.

Changing these is slightly more complicated than say changing the battery. Replacing these ahead of time, saves you the added expense of replacing a fouled spark plug. For me, when they fail, it is never in the driveway right after starting the CT. It is always 30-40min away from home. And then it was a scramble to find who had them in stock.

Though I have already replaced 2, I plan to order a set of 6 matched Hitachi ones from Rock Auto and replace all of mine together. Most everyone says to replace all 6 not just 1. With 2 original factory ones having failed within 60 days, yup, I'll just do them all! I'll keep the two replaced ones on hand as spares.

2012 CT EX-L 4WD

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Replacing them all is the right way to do it. I'm turning 95K on my other Honda and the coil-on-plugs are already on order. My local dealer's online price is $57 for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
at 95K I still have my original plugs. There seems to be the slightest rough idle. getting plugs changes and I am going to wait and see if the dealer recommends replacing the coil plug.

·
Registered
52 Posts
at 95K I still have my original plugs. There seems to be the slightest rough idle. getting plugs changes and I am going to wait and see if the dealer recommends replacing the coil plug.
I'd replace plugs. I only replace coils if needed. My 2012 with 245k miles still has all 6 original coil packs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts