Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got creative over the last past few days and taught my 10yo son the art of cutting and turning some wrenches. The Roof Rack and the Trailer Hitch were surprisingly easy; just a lot of little steps. Both sets of instructions were clear and very concise.

Attachments

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very nice!

How much time do you think it took you to do the hitch/wiring harness?

I intend to install one, but I'm on the fence whether it's worth it to just pay someone else to deal with the hassle.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the nod Xaque!

It took me about six hours, but that included setting my garage up and putting it back together when I was done. I also wanted to let my kid work the air ratchet and spin a few nuts on, so that slowed me down a bit; worth it nonetheless though. It's definately worth the savings to do it yourself. Pull the instructions from HandA.com or the Benardi website and read them twice; make sure you can do everything that's required. The only thing that required strength was separating the exhaust grommets, and that was after greasing them a bit too. One thing that made it especially easy was there were only two bolt sizes; all of one size and just two of the other. I should have taken more pictures, but the Honda instructions are spot-on.

On a side note for anyone who happens to read this...

I took a chance by asking one of the parts guys at a local dealership if he would work with me when it comes to buying OEM stuff. He recognizes I can go the internet route and save a butt-load so he has come down quite a bit, which goes for fluids and filters too. That, and there's no shipping to be had. Gotta pay taxes though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i took the roof rack off of mine but I am liking yours. I am thinking of putting it back on as you don't see many with the RR

·
Registered
594 Posts
Looks real good man... Ur ready to go anywhere now lol... I wanted to get a roof rack as well i just don't know if i should get the OEM roof rack or try the THULE roof rack with the front spoiler that's supposed to eliminate wind noise... How is the wind noise with the moon open?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks real good man... Ur ready to go anywhere now lol... I wanted to get a roof rack as well i just don't know if i should get the OEM roof rack or try the THULE roof rack with the front spoiler that's supposed to eliminate wind noise... How is the wind noise with the moon open?
I've probably used the moon roof ten times at the most, so I'm not the best source of information there. In a previous post, I opined the idea of the Thule product being the better option for just about any car, as opposed to spending the money on one rack for just the one car. In my case, I loved the way it looked with the OEM rack; still do. If you didn't know, as I didn't until I installed the roof rack, Honda includes molding covers to use in place of the roof rack when the bars are not installed on the car.

To date, I do not detect any abnormal noise from the rack and no less MPG. I'd have to think that spoiler may make a difference since you're adding an approx extra 2 1/2 feet of real estate to move through the wind, as opposed to the aerodynamic 1 foot extra that the OEM racks account for (wild a$$, but confident guesses there).

·
Registered
621 Posts
To date, I do not detect any abnormal noise from the rack and no less MPG. I'd have to think that spoiler may make a difference since you're adding an approx extra 2 1/2 feet of real estate to move through the wind, as opposed to the aerodynamic 1 foot extra that the OEM racks account for (wild a$$, but confident guesses there).
Interesting. I must say that I *HATE* the amount of wind noise that my RR creates. I can't drive without the sunroof open above 30mph because of the noise. At highway speeds I have to close the shade just to cut down on the noise.

(And this is definitely additional noise from the RR... and not just wind noise in general.)

Also, if I had known about this brand before I went OEM, and I may bought them instead.

They are a foreign company and Yakima bought them out.

It even appears that they have ones that will interface with the OEM vehicle mounts like our CT has.... so you very well may get that OEM look (instead of the clamps that run down.

http://www.yakima.com/whispbar/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts