Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so our CT Navi system doesn't get traffic (which I've found is like 50% of the usefulness of a navi for me and my driving).

Seemingly. . .the CT navi has very similar appearance and operation to many other Honda/Acura vehicles that *do* have traffic, vehicles that take the exact same navigation DVDs as ours and everything.

We have the XM antenna, and the DVD drive, has anyone ever checked parts across models and see what it would take to put this back in somehow?

Best Navigation Voice Fail Yet: "Finding nearest hydrogen station. . ."

·
Registered
621 Posts
Very excellent question.

The newer Nav units supposedly have higher resolution screens as well.

I am intrigued to see what it would take to swap systems out as well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frustratingly, I was about 80% (and 65min) into a comprehensive write up including p/ns of Crosstour vs. Odyssey vs. RDX vs. TL vs. TSX and I hit the key-combo to try to go back to the beginning of the line I was typing and fix something but instead it went back a page and everything I wrote was gone. . .oh the humanity!

Now the cliff notes version! Yes the new systems have a higher res, sharper screen, and the OS looks better especially in street names (little to no jagginess) and the menus look sophisticated. It also runs about 50% faster due to being HD based instead of DVD. It allows for the questionably useful feature of in-car CD ripping, and I also couldn't immediately figure out how future map updates were done.

In the Acura parts catalog the new systems (some sourced from Pioneer, some from Alpine, all with identical controls and OS) run $5500-$8500 not including display, rear camera, etc! For comparison, CT navigation "brain" that sits in the trunk and has the DVD reader lists for something like $2200.

The new screens are better, but will not blow your socks off. If you remember the difference between the iphone 3gs and the 4 and thought the "Retina display" was impressive, you will be underwhelmed with the small step forward the Honda/Acura displays have taken.

The Acura models get their weather and traffic via XM monthly subscription (approx $4-6 @ mo.) and the system is smart enough to actually re-route you instead of just advise traffic ahead in previous years. XM gets its info from Navteq, an aggregation of various traffic sensors, etc. One important thing to remember w/ any Navteq derived system is there will often be a bit of a lag (esp if it's a "new" traffic incident) and it pretty much only covers highways and very major thoroughfares.

The new rearview camera also has some cool tricks, you can pick from a few different angles instead of just the mega wide fisheye (which I blame for me backing into something awhile back!). It appears to do this with just one camera, would love to know how.

The new Honda navs (debuted in the 2011 Odyssey and now in the 2012 Pilot, maybe others too) seem to be very similar to the Acura ones in terms of being HD based, being pretty expensive, nicer looking menus, no jaggy street names, etc. However I noticed they do not rely on XM to provide traffic. The Honda model navs use the free FM radio traffic updates (supplied over an RDS data channel. . .I don't have stats on it's accuracy or speed vs. Navteq but would assume they are similar).

The closest "plug and play" swap for us would be with the late model Acura p/n 39546-STK-A02 brain for our p/n 39546-TP6-A02. The Acura model uses the vehicle's XM system to display traffic but I want to say (please correct me if I'm wrong) that it won't re-route you based on traffic. Additionally, since those p/ns seem very similar, maybe it's a cheap & quick mod instead of a swap out? At the end of the day you're still left with a DVD based system, mediocre screen, and traffic info you have to pay extra for (and possibly won't even help you re-route you).

Unfortunately, I think even a middle of the road TomTom or Navigon would be faster and have beautiful graphics. . .and probably free FM traffic too.

For my money, Google maps on Android & iPhone has the most responsive and up to date traffic information available. I've never seen an estimate of how many phones are out there with the "share this info w/ google maps" enabled, but it's got to be millions, which I would be willing to bet is exponentially more data points than Navteq or FM traffic have to work with. For almost a year Google maps even tracks side streets off of main roads now. . like almost any street with a stop light in my town shows up with a current traffic status!

However, at least for iphone, Google Maps isn't a turn-by-turn solution, so I only use it to get a basic idea. . .then I either use the in car system or fire up the Navigon app on my phone (better graphics, has Naviteq traffic, and speed & red-light camera alert).

All that said, the OEM unit gets the job done and I'm a sucker for OEM fit & finish and integration with the rest of the cabin tech.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Aceman,

Thank you very much for writing down those cliff notes! It's nice to hear some info regarding the Acura systems and how they relate to our CTs.

If it was going to be an easy swap (which it can sometimes be with these things) I was going to go for it... but it it's much more involved, and considerably more expensive, I may just have to live with the system I have.

(I've owned different manufacturers over the years... some of which require heavy modification to change something simple... others only require picking a new part up (say a switch) and plugging it into a harness that is already there... or a quick computer reprogram to enable a feature. I'm still trying to figure out where Honda falls into this spectrum.)

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No prob, glad to contribute a little research to the community. Like you said the parts interchange in any given make is often one of the most interesting and useful source of mods & upgrades . . .someone has to research this stuff, why not a crazy loon like me? :)

Oh, almost forgot the best thing I saw all day at the autoshow. Just across from Acura was Fiat. . .previously I wasn't a fan, but that tide is turning!

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Now that's a nice chassis :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Frustratingly, I was about 80% (and 65min) into a comprehensive write up including p/ns of Crosstour vs. Odyssey vs. RDX vs. TL vs. TSX and I hit the key-combo to try to go back to the beginning of the line I was typing and fix something but instead it went back a page and everything I wrote was gone. . .oh the humanity!

Now the cliff notes version! Yes the new systems have a higher res, sharper screen, and the OS looks better especially in street names (little to no jagginess) and the menus look sophisticated. It also runs about 50% faster due to being HD based instead of DVD. It allows for the questionably useful feature of in-car CD ripping, and I also couldn't immediately figure out how future map updates were done.

In the Acura parts catalog the new systems (some sourced from Pioneer, some from Alpine, all with identical controls and OS) run $5500-$8500 not including display, rear camera, etc! For comparison, CT navigation "brain" that sits in the trunk and has the DVD reader lists for something like $2200.

The new screens are better, but will not blow your socks off. If you remember the difference between the iphone 3gs and the 4 and thought the "Retina display" was impressive, you will be underwhelmed with the small step forward the Honda/Acura displays have taken.

The Acura models get their weather and traffic via XM monthly subscription (approx $4-6 @ mo.) and the system is smart enough to actually re-route you instead of just advise traffic ahead in previous years. XM gets its info from Navteq, an aggregation of various traffic sensors, etc. One important thing to remember w/ any Navteq derived system is there will often be a bit of a lag (esp if it's a "new" traffic incident) and it pretty much only covers highways and very major thoroughfares.

The new rearview camera also has some cool tricks, you can pick from a few different angles instead of just the mega wide fisheye (which I blame for me backing into something awhile back!). It appears to do this with just one camera, would love to know how.

The new Honda navs (debuted in the 2011 Odyssey and now in the 2012 Pilot, maybe others too) seem to be very similar to the Acura ones in terms of being HD based, being pretty expensive, nicer looking menus, no jaggy street names, etc. However I noticed they do not rely on XM to provide traffic. The Honda model navs use the free FM radio traffic updates (supplied over an RDS data channel. . .I don't have stats on it's accuracy or speed vs. Navteq but would assume they are similar).

The closest "plug and play" swap for us would be with the late model Acura p/n 39546-STK-A02 brain for our p/n 39546-TP6-A02. The Acura model uses the vehicle's XM system to display traffic but I want to say (please correct me if I'm wrong) that it won't re-route you based on traffic. Additionally, since those p/ns seem very similar, maybe it's a cheap & quick mod instead of a swap out? At the end of the day you're still left with a DVD based system, mediocre screen, and traffic info you have to pay extra for (and possibly won't even help you re-route you).

Unfortunately, I think even a middle of the road TomTom or Navigon would be faster and have beautiful graphics. . .and probably free FM traffic too.

For my money, Google maps on Android & iPhone has the most responsive and up to date traffic information available. I've never seen an estimate of how many phones are out there with the "share this info w/ google maps" enabled, but it's got to be millions, which I would be willing to bet is exponentially more data points than Navteq or FM traffic have to work with. For almost a year Google maps even tracks side streets off of main roads now. . like almost any street with a stop light in my town shows up with a current traffic status!

However, at least for iphone, Google Maps isn't a turn-by-turn solution, so I only use it to get a basic idea. . .then I either use the in car system or fire up the Navigon app on my phone (better graphics, has Naviteq traffic, and speed & red-light camera alert).

All that said, the OEM unit gets the job done and I'm a sucker for OEM fit & finish and integration with the rest of the cabin tech.
hey dude thanks for your post you explained it very well that everyone can understand it easily and you have great knowledge about it

·
Registered
96 Posts
My 2011 Acura TSX SportWagon w/Tech would re-route you around traffic jams, but as noted above, only responded to traffic on major freeways and information could be 15-30 min after the fact.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What about live weather or other types of graphical info?

Does anyone know whether there is a way to superimpose other types of data / images such as live weather on top of, or should I say as part of the Nav screen?

For example, XM offers aviation weather as a subscription (I own a receiver) and the FAA offers free weather with the appropriate receiver. With those services you get live, or nearly live weather graphics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts