Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is how I would decribe - it sounds like the rear window a little bit open - I can feel by my ear membranes. Some kind of vibrating sound - I do not feel any transition of vibration to the wheels or steering feel.

It is happenning on 50-55 mph. Do not hear anything below and above.
It is like drumming noise... Maybe it is because of VCM - engine generates some resonance?

Anybody noticed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
A drumming noise along with something in the car or the whole car vibrating?

The good thing is it is happening between specific speeds.

It could be something as easy as a wheel weight falling off causing that wheel to vibrate the car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds very similar to what I experienced. I keep looking for an open window. The dealer Road Forced balanced and replaced three tires. Problem solved.

·
Registered
761 Posts
This is how I would decribe - it sounds like the rear window a little bit open - I can feel by my ear membranes. Some kind of vibrating sound - I do not feel any transition of vibration to the wheels or steering feel.

It is like drumming noise... Maybe it is because of VCM - engine generates some resonance?

Anybody noticed?
Apparantly a common occurance at hwy speeds due to the rear windows being open.
Can't remember if it was our owners manual or my Lex's that I read that.

C.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Definitely rear windows... even if cracked just a bit. If the front windows are also down, the buffeting goes away.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If I drive my Dodge Ram 1500 with just the rear windows down (even partially opened) it sounds like a helicopter is hovering just above my truck. This is documented in my trucks owners manual. I have not driven my CT with just the rear windows opened so I am not sure if my CT has the same effect.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A couple times I have noticed that my windows were just a *hair* cracked... which resulted in unpleasantries.

I finally deduced that they were cracked because I held the Unlock button on the fob a bit too long.

Not saying that this is what the OP is experiencing, but it could be a place to start.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparantly a common occurance at hwy speeds due to the rear windows being open.
Can't remember if it was our owners manual or my Lex's that I read that.

C.
With all due respect - do I look like a blonde?
:)
This is what I wrote - "sounds like the window is open", assuming I checked all windows and sunroof being closedall way up. Another thing - open window booming is not going away with the higher speed. In my case it does.

I like the idea with just wheel aligment needs to be done but, like I said, I do not feel any vibration on steering wheel or gas pedal.
Strange.

I'm going to dealership, but like everybody knows and based on my experience with Honda, many cases may remain unresolved....

I read many similar complains on Odyssey and Pilot forums - many blaiming VCM (ECM) having resonance...

·
Registered
111 Posts
As I mentioned earlier it spounds exactly like what I experienced. I felt it more in my head (and ears) then in the steering wheel. I really think (no proof) that the Active Sound Control was over compensating for the the vibration cause by the tire balance issue. When I travel by plane I use noise canceling headphones and sometimes you get the same feeling in your head.
There is something wrong. The car can, and should be, rock soild and quiet

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As I mentioned earlier it spounds exactly like what I experienced. I felt it more in my head (and ears) then in the steering wheel. I really think (no proof) that the Active Sound Control was over compensating for the the vibration cause by the tire balance issue. When I travel by plane I use noise canceling headphones and sometimes you get the same feeling in your head.
There is something wrong. The car can, and should be, rock soild and quiet
Yes, I'm 100% agreed that the wheel aligmnet is the first thing that needs to be done.
I still have plenty of time to get it for free (it is good up to 12K miles).
The problem is it is not that obvious and not all the time - for example my husband took it for today's morning 40 miles trip and he said everything was fine (altough we both agreed that something is wrong 2 days ago).
And how it is usually - once you will be on dealirship - the problem will be less obvious.

What about your case - was it easy to identify with the mechanic in the car?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I dropped the car off and said I had a slight vibration between 60 and 65. Not in the steering wheel as much as you could feel in the seat. I thought a rear tire was out of balance since you would feel a front tire issue in the streering wheel. The dealer re-balanced all four, then road tested. Problem still there so Honda agreed to replace 3 tires. I had 700 miles on the car. Regular balancing showed the ties Ok, but the Road Force balance that puts a load on the tires as they are balanced found the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news that it is not a common issue - in this case Honda does not know yet how to close the eyes on it. :)

I hope once it will become noticible all the time the dealer will perform wheel aligment (Road Force balance)

Thank you everybody.

·
Registered
78 Posts
IMHO - wheel weight fell off... H blaming it on something else... "Fixing" it by doing a wheel balance... Make themselves look like hero's...

Hope it takes care of the issue though!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts

Anybody noticed?
With all due respect - do I look like a blonde?
:)
This is what I wrote - "sounds like the window is open", assuming I checked all windows and sunroof being closedall way up. Another thing - open window booming is not going away with the higher speed. In my case it does.

I like the idea with just wheel aligment needs to be done but, like I said, I do not feel any vibration on steering wheel or gas pedal.
Strange.

I'm going to dealership, but like everybody knows and based on my experience with Honda, many cases may remain unresolved....

I read many similar complains on Odyssey and Pilot forums - many blaiming VCM (ECM) having resonance...
.......If you re-read your original post you'll see that you don't specificly say that the windows are up or down......It just sounded like they may have been down.

So, no it wasn't meant as a slam or that you are blonde or what have you.
It was meant as help, so take it as such.

With all due respect.:)

Have you thought that it still may be an air leak of some kind even though the windows appear to be all the way up? (either from the back windows or hatch being out of alignment).

C.

·
Registered
78 Posts
OOOOOOOOOOOH!

I know on many newer cars, if you open just one window you get a pulsating sound at higher speeds, but if you open a 2nd window, its one smooth sound.

For example. Open just the front drivers side window, and then open the rear window... you will get a thudding pulsating sound... you feel it in your ears... its a pulsating pressure in your head too.

This happens from the interior pressure flaps that are in the rear bumper area of the car... completely normal...

·
Registered
93 Posts
You know, I am starting to wonder if this issue has something to do with the "Active Noise Cancellation".
Sometimes I think I get it/feel it, other times I don't.....

What does anyone know of the noise reduction system in the CT's?

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
gmcc,

Road Force balance it is..
The guy in dealership was trying to play the funny number in the beginning - He said that RFB does not covered by warranty. (because I suggested that it is what needs to be done).

I replied that the car is under bumper-to-bumper warranty and please fix it, I do not care if it will be RFB or you need to ask the local woodoo to smoke on it.

In 5 hors they called and say that actually they've RFB and one tire is still out of order. (of course it was free)
We stopped at bridgestone dealership next day and he just chjanged one tire.
Problem solved.

Thank you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tires are not covered under the cars warranty, its a seperate warranty and easier to be fixed at the tire dealer since not all dealers can warranty tires. Most dealers get tires from a third party.

Wheel weights come off now and then. So when you do get new tires put on make sure that the place will reballance wheels for you. It shouldn't cost more than $12 to ballance a tire

1 - 20 of 22 Posts