Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is a great forum!
We love our CT, and its about the 6th honda we have owned.
Unfortunately my 2011 CT suddenly lost power on the way home and the check engine light came on. I have read other threads that discussed a firmware fix.
But I was told by the dealer that they received a code that indicated a rocker control valve failure. Apparently the engine was locked in 3 cyl mode?
It got me wondering how the system works. I would have thought that if a solenoid failed you would most likely get locked in 6 cyl mode? It seems that the solenoid would want to be on when you went to 3 cyl, not off?
Is there a honda tech out there that can explain how this system works? Do I have it backwards or is it plausible that the locking pin is stuck?
BTW, they are replacing the valve today, but it did take 2 days to get the part.
Thanks much!!!!

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Hi Ironbeast and welcome to the forum (First Post). In checking the list of TSB’s for your Honda, I’m was not able to find anything about a ‘rocker control valve’. Just so you know, anyone can check TSB’s, Recalls, Defect investigations, and more at the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic & Safety Administration) website for FREE. Go to this website: http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/

I like the Consumer Complaints section as it allows consumers to complain about specific problems with their vehicle. This way you can see if your speedometer malfunction is just you or if perhaps 200 others had this same problem. This in part is how a recall is started. The NHTSA will review and investigate the complaints regularly and if there is a safety issue that they have received enough complaints on, they can force the manufacturer to issue a recall. I always advise people to file their complaints on the NHTSA board.

Keep us posted as to how the repairs came out. A picture or two of your dog or cat, oops, I mean your CT would be nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got the crosstour back today. Turns out they had to replace the "rear spool valve" . This is the valve that directs oil pressure to the rocker control mechanism that engages and disengages the valves on the rear bank to activate the VCM. This involved removing the intake plenumn and rear valve cover. Kind of involved. With only 15K on the car I never thought I'd be doing that!

But all seems to be correct now and the CT is back!

I tried multiple searches to find any reference to a problem with this system and could not find any. So I guess the good news its a rarey which is why they didn't even stock the part.

After 5 hondas with 200K+ on each I had my first glitch!

·
Registered
93 Posts
P Code ?

Hey man, welcome to the forum! Please excuse this self-serving question, but do you recall the code they pulled? I have to think it’s one of Honda’s many proprietary OBD codes. I took a look at the code list and couldn’t find anything; that’s not to say I didn’t overlook it however. With manufacturer specific codes on the rise, it seems they are getting creative; burying one issue under the coded title of another. And of course, there’s no OBD spirited checks and balances since no one manufacturing group cares what the other is doing (OBD).

Again… That “P” code would be appreciated; maybe a phone call to the dealership for, “your future reference.” J

Also, you said this was your first glitch? Lucky devil, you.

Jay

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not a tech -- but I do spend alot of time TALKING with our Honda techs in my shop.
Although this is not the same as your case -- i WAS made aware of a somewhat common VCM issue, where a code will be thrown (can't remember which one) and engine power will decrease until addressed.

Essentially -- the fix is to replace all or some of of the VCM cyl. spark plugs, that somehow get fouled due to a VCM issue.
Myself and another resident gear head surmised that that failure of the VCM to work properly in certain circumstances could lead to an overly rich condition in the cyl during VCM operation (or cyl. shutdown) and foul one or more plugs.

Not sure if this is a TSB yet....but it is not entirely uncommon, apparently, for ALL 3.5l VCM engines.

fyi.

gr

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi all, this is a great forum!
We love our CT, and its about the 6th honda we have owned.
Unfortunately my 2011 CT suddenly lost power on the way home and the check engine light came on. I have read other threads that discussed a firmware fix.
But I was told by the dealer that they received a code that indicated a rocker control valve failure. Apparently the engine was locked in 3 cyl mode?
It got me wondering how the system works. I would have thought that if a solenoid failed you would most likely get locked in 6 cyl mode? It seems that the solenoid would want to be on when you went to 3 cyl, not off?
Is there a honda tech out there that can explain how this system works? Do I have it backwards or is it plausible that the locking pin is stuck?
BTW, they are replacing the valve today, but it did take 2 days to get the part.
Thanks much!!!!
Ironbeast:
Out of curiosity....how many miles on your CT, and what OIL are you using??

gr

1 - 7 of 7 Posts