Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Interesting article. I was wondering why Honda did not come out with a 4 cylinder engine prior? 192 Horsepower is nothing to sneeze at, but I would have rather seen a 4 cylinder turbocharged version with a horsepower output of beyond our CT’s current 6 cylinder 271 horses. It appears that the 4 cylinder will only be used in the FWD (Front Wheel Drive) versions, which are obviously lighter and requires less engine power.

Seems turbo charging gets popular about every 15 or 20 years and then goes away for a while. In 1962 the Oldsmobile Cutlass and Corvair Monza had turbo’s, then around 1979, the Buick Regal, Saab 99, Ford Mustang, Pontiac Firebird, and others received turbo’s. Currently you have the Hyundai Sonata, and a few others. Many of my trade journals tell me that the Audi A5 will have a turbo, Cadillac ATS for 2013 will have a turbo, even Subaru and BMW too. I guess it’s been enough time and the turbo’s are returning once again!

If you could not have guessed, I’m a big turbo advocate. When I was 16, I turbocharged my 1971 Camaro Z-28. I also had a factory turbo Mustang. I had lots of fun with those cars!! Great gas mileage and lots of power, especially when you turn up the boost.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Many of my trade journals tell me that the Audi A5 will have a turbo, Cadillac ATS for 2013 will have a turbo, even Subaru and BMW too. I guess it’s been enough time and the turbo’s are returning once again!

Many cars already have utilize a TC. The BMW 3-Series, Cadillac SRX, new 2013 Cadillacs will utilize them, Acura's RDX already had it, Audi utilizes it on just about every model, same with VW.

Above all others, the main problem with turbocharging is that it's expensive! You don't see it on average-priced family cars unless other cost cutting has taken place, or the price of the car is above others in the segment.

They are coming back as a direct source of meting new emissions agreements for the upcoming years, as well as increasing the power while decrease fuel waste. You will see turbocharging come out faster from companies who have engines that pollute more than companies that already deliver efficient engines, say Honda or Toyota.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I like the power we have, and I couldn't imagine only having a 4-banger to try to merge onto the interstate. That is a HUGE difference in power considering the weight of the car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I agree with you RyansQuick6. It won't perform like the six, but will answer the objections that some of the consumers and reviewers have had. I still would have purchased the six as well because I wanted to have something with some extra punch from the Accord that we had.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello good people, I'm a 5 day old newbie with a "snatched from the showroom" 2012 Crystal Black Pearl CT EX-L with the 4 cylinder engine. I especially love the fact that they kept the dual exhaust outlets. I had a 2011 Accord EX-L with the 4, and the CT feels more powerful to me. I have to always stay mindful of my speed with it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hello good people, I'm a 5 day old newbie with a "snatched from the showroom" 2012 Crystal Black Pearl CT EX-L with the 4 cylinder engine. I especially love the fact that they kept the dual exhaust outlets. I had a 2011 Accord EX-L with the 4, and the CT feels more powerful to me. I have to always stay mindful of my speed with it.
Thank you for chiming in and welcome to the group! Nice to hear some impressions on the 4cyl and will be very interested to hear reports on your mileage (the built in trip computer has pretty good MPG tracking).

It's not a bad 4cyl at all - it's pretty big displacement 23xx ccs (I want to say) and it has an extremely flat, almost plateau like, torque curve, almost all the way to redline. This is very much unlike the majority of Honda's 4cyl engines because the overall proportions of bore & stroke on the 2.4 are oversquare vs. the more traditional (for Honda) undersquare (think S2000, high revving, high RPM, low low torque). So you get the unusual outcome of a rather high HP and torquey 4cyl. . .

Also my V6 4wd EX-L has about 400lbs of dry weight over the 4cyl 2wd EX-L, that's about a 10% weight reduction. . .I wonder if I could even come close to shaving off 400lbs if I really really tried, jeez it would involve some expense for sure! And there's not a heck of a lot of sound deadening in our cars either (one of the first things you usually tear out to save weight), it really relies more on the electronic noise cancelling I think (which is a cool, an effective technique the more I think about it).

Welcome to the group, it's a pretty friendly bunch of guys that can almost without a doubt answer any question you could ever think of.

-ace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts