Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried 5W30 in their CT yet? I read of one owner switching to 5W20 and he was happy but I am more curious about 5W30 synthetic as this is a 3.5L V6 so 5W30 should almost be default as 0W20 seems so thin for that engine.
IF you have switched away from 0W20, I would like to know your impressions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's not time for my first oil change yet, I'm only at 80% life, I have looked for 0W20, and the only place besides the dealer that carries that weight is Wal-Mart, Mobil1 synthetic 0W20. So, If I don't want to pay that much for synthetic I may be forced to buy 5W 20 or 30, blended probably.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I believe the V6 Itec was first available in the US in a 2006 Pilot. (Available in Japan in 2003). In 2006 the Pilot recommended 5-20 oil. Not sure what changed since then. Sometime car makers reduce oil wieghts to wringe out that extra MPG, sometimes they do it due to reduced tollerences in the engine. Local Walmart (In Maryland) has both Valvoline and Mobile 1 0-20. Oil has changed and gone are the days of the 3000 mile oil changes (great marketing job by Jiffy lube). I use Mobile 1 in everything and go 5000 miles on the older cars and follow the reminders on everything else. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
... I am more curious about 5W30 synthetic as this is a 3.5L V6 so 5W30 should almost be default as 0W20 seems so thin for that engine.
Engine builder/manufacturers know what is the best lubricant for their products. Do you know something that they don't? Engine displacement (3.5L) or cylinder arrangement (V6) has nothing to do with the required oil viscosity. It is much more about ring and bearing clearances and the general internal tolerance values set by the engine designers. What do you hope to accomplish by switching to a heavier oil? I suggest that running a heavier viscosity oil than recommended could produce one or more of the following results:
[] reduced fuel mileage
[] reduced engine life
[] voided warranty

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don 't agree or disagree with COBRATOO but as an engineer, I am questioning, or better put, I am curious about, Honda's decision to switch viscosity, as pointed out by GMCC. Warranty will not be voided by switching viscosity but fuel economy may be, but by how much and at that what cost (shorter or longer engine life, smoother/harsher operation, etc)?
From what I have read, the switch occurred only to improve the corporate average fuel economy unless key elements have been addressed with regard to the engine that I am not privy too.
My main concern stems from the notion that if you put a thin oil such as 5W20 or 0W20 into i.e., a boxer engine (subaru or porsche) that engine will chew up that oil and many Subaru boxers are only 2.5L H4 design, producing only 170 Hp with very similar amount of torque (turbo ones produce more as do the 3.6L H6 ones) but still, we are only dealing with 2.5L engines. So when I see 0W20 oil, synthetic or dyno, in a V6, and I do not undermine Honda's engineering, I just wish to know, is this an attempt at lowering fuel consumption? if so, at what cost? Or is this a genuine message from Honda saying, "we have perfected this engine so much so that you can use the same oil as some 3 or 4 cylinder engines which offer substantially less output".

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any car or boat forum I have visited always has lengthy threads about oil. With the investment you have in the engine of your car, I don't know why people try to save money on oil. I believe synthetics provide the best protection. With oil changes every 7500 miles or more, I don't mind spending a few extra dollers for synthetic.
Now as far as the weight of the oil, I am not sure if I want to go against the Honda engineers but here is an interesting article to read.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm

·
Registered
237 Posts
So, do you use mobil 1 synthetic & filter, or do you use the Amsoil brands? What is the difference? (besides price)

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use Mobil 1 in everything (except the boat because Mercury Marine said not to use synthetic). Other name brand synthetics are probably just as good. WalMart also carries Valvoline 0-20.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...here is an interesting article to read.
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles/5w20oil.htm
Great find and thank you. I have used AMSOIL in my daily driver and have not noticed any difference compared to MOBILE 1, which I too am partial to. I did hear from those who track their cars that AMSOIL, being a pure synthetic, does have benefits in that environment but but I did not want to get into a heated debate as I wanted to know what data they had to justify that claim.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wouldn't use anyhting but the weight oil listed for the vehicle.

the "ECO" system wont work properly to start, which will decrease your mileage.

I am not a fan of mobile 1... If you want a synthetic oil... Check out Motul 300V... THATS an oil...

·
Premium Member
327 Posts
I wouldn't use anyhting but the weight oil listed for the vehicle.

the "ECO" system wont work properly to start, which will decrease your mileage.

I am not a fan of mobile 1... If you want a synthetic oil... Check out Motul 300V... THATS an oil...
I agree good call JMJ 0w20 is what it takes anything differant things may change (fuel econ,and drivability)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree good call JMJ 0w20 is what it takes anything differant things may change (fuel econ,and drivability)
If I remember correctly (God only knows at my age), the manual only says you "can" use synthetic. That doesn't sound like a requirment. What is Honda trying to say?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I remember correctly (God only knows at my age), the manual only says you "can" use synthetic. That doesn't sound like a requirment. What is Honda trying to say?

You can use Synthetic all you want... The manual does say Synthetic is not required...

Nothing is wrong with using conventional oil...

If you realize a benefit to justify the extra costs of synthetic that is up to you... although, with the oil change intervals in this car you may makeup the extra costs...

Using Synthetic is fine... Just don't use a heavier weight oil (like 5w30) just because it is a more common weight and you can find it in Walmart and Target for less... (in all honesty, I really think that is why the subject of this heavier weight oil has been brought up, because its easier to find that weight for less)...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone tried 5W30 in their CT yet? I read of one owner switching to 5W20 and he was happy but I am more curious about 5W30 synthetic as this is a 3.5L V6 so 5W30 should almost be default as 0W20 seems so thin for that engine.
IF you have switched away from 0W20, I would like to know your impressions.
I was burning lots of oil with Mobil 1 0w20 synthetic. 1/2 qt every 1,000. At about 10,000 I changed to 5w20 Mobil 1 synthetic. At 15,000 I changed back to 0w20 Mobil 1 synthetic.

At some point while using the 5w20 the rings finally seated, around 12,000 miles I think.

20,000 miles and 1 year old this month. Everything is perfect now.

CaptDave

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can use Synthetic all you want... The manual does say Synthetic is not required...

Nothing is wrong with using conventional oil...

If you realize a benefit to justify the extra costs of synthetic that is up to you... although, with the oil change intervals in this car you may makeup the extra costs...

Using Synthetic is fine... Just don't use a heavier weight oil (like 5w30) just because it is a more common weight and you can find it in Walmart and Target for less... (in all honesty, I really think that is why the subject of this heavier weight oil has been brought up, because its easier to find that weight for less)...
I think the translation for "you can use synthetic" is......Look CT buyers, synthetic oil is not required, but our dealers have asked us to tell you that you "can" use it in hopes that you will, since they make more money selling the synthetic.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got our first oil change yesterday after our first Maint. Reminder ( 8,200 miles - 15%). The service manager and I had the synthetic oil discussion and he stated that Honda had changed the specs (the manual was no longer correct) and that they now say synthetic is needed ( I did not buy that, but who am I to argue). I told him OK, go ahead and use it. When we picked up the car, the bill said they had used Honda 5W20 Synthetic Blend.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got our first oil change yesterday after our first Maint. Reminder ( 8,200 miles - 15%). The service manager and I had the synthetic oil discussion and he stated that Honda had changed the specs (the manual was no longer correct) and that they now say synthetic is needed ( I did not buy that, but who am I to argue). I told him OK, go ahead and use it. When we picked up the car, the bill said they had used Honda 5W20 Synthetic Blend.
Could you name the dealership. I live in the Tampa area and want to make sure I don't use that facility. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts