Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is funny story.....

I went back to dealer for another oil change. Got a coupon for $40.00 with 0w-20 oil change and tire rotation. Service advisor didn't say anything, so we all assume it will be 0 weight oil. When I picked up my car, now service advisor told me, since it's 2010 crosstour, 0 weight oil is optional. So they used 5w-20 oil and gave me $20 deal. I was like [email protected]##@[email protected]%$, then why in the past no service advisor said that? and they just always used zero weight, and charged me with high prices???

On the manual, it only stated "recommended". So I assume service advisor is right. I guess cheap oil change from now on. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
The manual states:

Recommended Engine Oil
Oil is a major contributor to your engine’s performance and longevity. Always use a premium-grade 0W-20 detergent oil displaying the API Certification Seal. This seal indicates the oil is energy conserving, and that it meets the American Petroleum Institute’s latest requirements.

This is from page 333 in my owner’s manual (2012 CT).

Not sure what your manual states, but you can see mine reads: Always use a premium-grade 0W-20..... It does not state you can use a 5w20 or anything else. For that matter on page 334, it ONLY shows the 0W20 against the ambient temperature chart.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, after few days, I am sure .........

No matter Accord Crosstour or Crosstour, it has to use 0W engine oil. That's the standard from Honda.

So, the dealer called me back, and apologized of wrong paper works. They now claimed they did fill with zero weight oil, not 5w-20. It just the paper shown the wrong info.

If you were me, do you believe in that?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would get it in writing that they made the "error". Just in case later down the road you have issues. That or take a sample of your oil to have tested so you would know if you had 0w or 5w. As a last resort if you feel unsure about it all. Go somewhere else and have them change the oil again to a 0w-20 oil.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I would get it in writing that they made the "error". Just in case later down the road you have issues. That or take a sample of your oil to have tested so you would know if you had 0w or 5w. As a last resort if you feel unsure about it all. Go somewhere else and have them change the oil again to a 0w-20 oil.
I agree, get it in writing. I think your fine and no damage will be caused but.......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Something to think about here.

2010 Accord V6 specifies 5W20 from the factory. The Crosstour has the identical engine.
For 2011 Honda changed the spec to Ow20 for all Accords and still no changes to the engine.

The change over to 0W20 was for fuel economy reasons.

Honda has approved OW20 for use in the following vehicles:

CRV 2002 to present.
Accord 2003 to present.
Element All Years.
Odyssey 2002 to present.

Personaly i wouldn't stress over one oil change with the "wrong" oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts