Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to install HID's in my low-beam headlights. Just wondering what wattage people are going with.

·
Registered
4 Posts
35w is the standard OEM ballast wattage used by all car manufacturers. A 55w ballast will make whatever HID bulb you choose slightly brighter but will reduce the overall life span of the bulb. I personally have a 35w ballast and it looks fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Drewkow is right. 55w will give you more light output typically, 20-25% more light. The downside is you will have a decreased lifespan of the bulb and ballast, which will last typically only 3-5 years versus 5-7 years @ 35 watt. But if you are a mechanically inclined person, 3-5 years is still a long time to pass by before working anything on your car. :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Main concerns when upgrading to 55w is the OEM wiring harness, and the ability to carry increased loads over time.

There are dozens of stories across the internet who have done this and melted/burned their looms.

Don't chase after an imperceptible 20% increase in brightness at the expense of burning your car to the ground. Not worth it.:eek:

gr

1 - 5 of 5 Posts