Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep hearing different things about this motor.. whats the lowdown on its durability and dependability

I have seen many with very high miles

Your experience is welcomed
Thanks!
Peter

·
Registered
21 Posts
Guess it’s all about who u ask & by all means I’m no expert or seasoned mechanic but from my research all I know is that the VCM technology is garbage I own a 2010 ex-l awd ( hope that doesn’t offend anyone). But the bottom line is that the MPG savings affiliated with the VCM theory by all means is not worth the potential outlier damage & cost associated with its so called gains. PRO: VCM in a nutshell shuts down offset cylinders during ECO phases of exceleration or deceleration to save fuel. CON: The benefits do not outweigh potential damage associated such as ( motor mount failure/ piston ring failure/ plug-coil failure due to bypass of excess oil into the combustion chamber). Not sure if I’m missing anything but I welcome any positive criticism if I’m misinforming.... With this noted not all is lost, as I would highly advise installing a VCM Tunner 2 which can Be purchased for a mer $125 that simply bypasses this function allowing the 3.5L to perform on all cylinders under all circumstances which is how the engine should perform. Not only does it increase performance it eliminates these Costly issues. Not sure what yr CT u have or the mileage but the sooner you address this issue the happier your 3.5 will be which actually is a well performing engine that will provide many yrs of use.
As you may have already figured out there is also a shudder issue that many on this site can attest too. Throughout my problem solving Process for this underlying issue I would first highly recommend religiously changing your TMFluid every 15k from what I’ve been told by a cert Honda tech. If the problem proceeds then it can be a deeper problem associated with your tourque converter. There is a program upgrade that is also suppose toHelp address this issue that can be performed at hour local dealer for about $50 I’ll post the coding that was done on mine for your reference.
Last but not least there is a weak link in the CV1/2 axels that can also produce this shudder problem, they are prone to warp under stress which effectively causes this shudder to occur while exceleration during turning. I personally have not experienced this issue under these circumstances which leads me to believe my particular problem lies with the tourque converter bc I experience shudder problems only while during exceleration primarily at the 40MPH range & even more so at the 70MPH mark.
I had a Honda tech look at my CV axels & they appeared to by ok which leans me towards a tourque converter problem In my case.
Keep in mind I’m pushing 140k on my CT but I must say it’s a pleasure to drive & if you didn’t know it would think the car was only had 50k on it... it’s that solid!!!
So hope all this helps & if U take the initiative to address these few down falls of the design then it’s a fantastic ride... Good luck 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts