Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2010 Crosstour V6 AWD this week. It has 214,000km, and I am not sure if the timing belt has been replaced at some point or not. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to inspect the timing belt? I've also just bought the S-VCM, so I'll see how that goes.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello,
I'd first try to see any service records that may be on file with Honda. You can create an account and enter the VIN# to access the service records on the Honda owners website.
A timing belt that was replaced at around 168k should still have the brand logo clearly visible. One that has 214k would be extremely faded or completely gone. The top timing covers can be removed to inspect.

Reactions: edubfromktown

·
Registered
17 Posts
@andrewct & @NailGrease -
I picked up my CT @ just under 200000miles/300000km - I can attest to the fact that 1. There is very little that remains of any identifying numbers or branding. 2. At least one Belt from the factory lasted to 200000 miles. No records found of any service for the timing belt. Further proof that the belt was original was the difficulty in removing the crankshaft pully bolt. Honda's factory installed crankshaft bolts are known for being the hardest to break. Fortunately they do make a tool for that, a heavy thick walled 19mm 3/4" socket specifically designed for Honda crankshaft bolts.

And for those, like myself, who are thoroughly confused by Miles/Kilometer conversion -
If the timing belt was changed at 100000 miles as the factory recommended when you inspect the belt at132000 miles (roughly) then the belt should look relatively pristine, if compared to a belt that is 132000miles old - a belt that is still in service at 132000miles is not gonna look the same as a 32000 mile belt.

Hope I made that muddy water look a look more like mud..
Peace and Peaches..

Reactions: NailGrease

·
Registered
139 Posts
@andrewct & @NailGrease -
I picked up my CT @ just under 200000miles/300000km - I can attest to the fact that 1. There is very little that remains of any identifying numbers or branding. 2. At least one Belt from the factory lasted to 200000 miles. No records found of any service for the timing belt. Further proof that the belt was original was the difficulty in removing the crankshaft pully bolt. Honda's factory installed crankshaft bolts are known for being the hardest to break. Fortunately they do make a tool for that, a heavy thick walled 19mm 3/4" socket specifically designed for Honda crankshaft bolts.

And for those, like myself, who are thoroughly confused by Miles/Kilometer conversion -
If the timing belt was changed at 100000 miles as the factory recommended when you inspect the belt at132000 miles (roughly) then the belt should look relatively pristine, if compared to a belt that is 132000miles old - a belt that is still in service at 132000miles is not gonna look the same as a 32000 mile belt.

Hope I made that muddy water look a look more like mud..
Peace and Peaches..
I used to bust those pully bolts with the pully holder, 2ft of extensions, 3ft breaker bar, a cheater pipe on top of that and a jack stand. I felt like.....

when it would bust loose. Now I have a Dewalt DCF899 and a Leslie Socket.

It kind of took the excitement out of it all. I think everyone should try the jackstand method at least once so as to be able to beat their chest in triumph. Lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts