Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for some input on upgrading from stock OEM 225/60/18 to one of the following 245/55/18’s VS 255/55/18’s on (2010 ex-l awd). I defiantly would like the wider stance of the 255’s but my concern is 2 fold...

1) will the 255’s clear in all aspects
2) will there be any negative repercussions regarding ( gear ratios, Transfer case, traction control, Etc etc)...

Here are how the dimensions play out VS OEM 225/60/18’s

245/55/18

Sidewall Height -0.0
Section Width - 0.79
Tire Height - 0.0
Tire Circum -0.0
Rev /Mile - 0.0
Mph remains same 65/65

255/55/18

Sidewall Height - 0.21
Section Width - 1.18
Tire Height - 0.42
Tire Circum - 1.32
Rev/Mile - minus 10.19
MPH change 65 OEM VS 66

Logically the 245,s present no issues & would be the sensible route but would prefer the additional width which would be 0.40 increase in addition to the addition fill of the wheel well by 0.42.....

Bottom line is the trade off worth the potential headaches if there are any or would it be more logical to go with the 245’s providing 0.79 additional width with no concern of upsetting other internals.... hope there’s feedback out there who have the same questions or concerns, would appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Also would u guys advise staying away from spacers nothing real crazy maybe 0.50 max to bring the 245’s stance out a bit?

Thanks again Hope to hear back👍

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went with 245 50 19 on a set of BBS wheels from Tire Rack about 3 years ago with absolutely no problems. I am on second set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. First went for almost 30,000 miles of very hard driving. Mostly Highway, concrete almost 60 mile commute daily and add 3 track days with an auto cross event to boot I thought that was great. I wanted a stiffer ride. I also have done cryo treated drilled rotors and R1 Ceramic pads. Shortened stop distances and lots less fade.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys looking for some input on upgrading from stock OEM 225/60/18 to one of the following 245/55/18’s VS 255/55/18’s on (2010 ex-l awd). I defiantly would like the wider stance of the 255’s but my concern is 2 fold...

2) will there be any negative repercussions regarding ( gear ratios, Transfer case, traction control, Etc etc)...

245/55/18

Sidewall Height -0.0
Section Width - 0.79
Tire Height - 0.0
Tire Circum -0.0
Rev /Mile - 0.0
Mph remains same 65/65

255/55/18

Sidewall Height - 0.21
Section Width - 1.18
Tire Height - 0.42
Tire Circum - 1.32
Rev/Mile - minus 10.19
MPH change 65 OEM VS 66

Logically the 245,s present no issues & would be the sensible route but would prefer the additional width which would be 0.40 increase in addition to the addition fill of the wheel well by 0.42.....

Bottom line is the trade off worth the potential headaches if there are any or would it be more logical to go with the 245’s providing 0.79 additional width with no concern of upsetting other internals.... hope there’s feedback out there who have the same questions or concerns, would appreciate your thoughts!!!!

Also would u guys advise staying away from spacers nothing real crazy maybe 0.50 max to bring the 245’s stance out a bit?

Great question,. I was thinking same but chickened out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Bart, thanks for the reply 1st off your CT looks great the 19’s are def the way to go, the BBS provide a clean look & complement your ride...nice choice.....I’m going to have to work with my OEM 18-7” wheels for the moment & put new tread on those but plan to upgrade to 19’s when I get some spare cash.... Found a set of LP Adventure LP7 wheels that Im prob gonna go with when the times right, I’ll add a pic to the post....I looked at the ratios on both the 245/55/18 vs 245/50/19 & there basically identical so I would assume U got somewhere around .80 increase in width compared to the 225/60/18 OEM’s with all other aspects remaining the same. Cosmetically did u like the results from a side profile? I know the front has a slightly wider stance than the back & I thought about rather than messing with altering circumferences by going to the 255/55/18 that I could possibly use a .25 or .50 spacer on the rear to bring the stance out to meet front appearance. Only concern is haven’t heard great things about the effects that spacers can have on wheel bearings etc. etc. Although it may not be enough to really effect much not sure.... If I get some positive feedback on this set up I will prob go this direction rather than the 255’s... def need to upgrade my breaks as there worn out & no better time to do it then now while replacing tires, sounds like your happy with your brake set up....I’m also getting ready to pull the trigger on the TL 20mm RSBar as I’ve heard nothing but positive feedback on all forums... if u get a chance & u have a side profile pic of your CT love to see it!!
Hey thanks again for any feedback👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Blu3...ya I just can’t seem to get a straight answer about the 255/55/18’s would love to run these seeing that they would have a wider & taller stance but just not sure if the positive out weighs the negatives... I get guys at reputable tire shops who say prob not a good idea bc it’s outside of recommended specs but on the other hand there’s those who don’t seem to have concerns about it and say they are running 255’s wout issues.... At end of the day I’m not interested in presenting costly problems for a slight height/width gain if it in fact is going to present any issues u know???
Now if the spacer idea in the rear is received well by others that would prob be my consideration since it achieves pretty much the same results minus the height gain & dosent present other issues... hopefully someone out there with 255/55/18 experience can shed some light👍

·
Premium Member
106 Posts

245/55/18

Sidewall Height -0.0
Section Width - 0.79
Tire Height - 0.0
Tire Circum -0.0
Rev /Mile - 0.0
Mph remains same 65/65

255/55/18

Sidewall Height - 0.21
Section Width - 1.18
Tire Height - 0.42
Tire Circum - 1.32
Rev/Mile - minus 10.19
MPH change 65 OEM VS 66

FWIW I just installed 245 50 R19's with no issues on my 2015 EX-L. Diameter is about the same as OEM (so speedo is accurate) nd no issues rubbing with wider tires. I can sent a photo if you wish, used 2019 Accord Sport wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Doug, ya it looks like based off the #s that the 245/50/19 vs 245/55/18 are basically a mirror image so both would work very well providing additional width without compromising any other ratios... I’m open to to any photos that provide new ideas please send.... thanks again for your input 👍

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Thanks Doug, ya it looks like based off the #s that the 245/50/19 vs 245/55/18 are basically a mirror image so both would work very well providing additional width without compromising any other ratios... I’m open to to any photos that provide new ideas please send.... thanks again for your input 👍
I haven't yet taken a 3/4 view, outside photo yet and it's raining today. But here are a couple of shots showing the wider tires. I also designed/built a simple tire rack for storing my winter (and, when I swap) my summer tires. It's a 1' X 4" (so, in real dimensions 3/4 inch by 3.5 inch) 10 foot length of red oak. I used screws, 2 per stud, to attach to the studs (16" on center) and then used stainless steel carriage bolts for the four mounting spots for the tires. (using wing nuts to attach to the carriage bolts)
. This allows me to minimize using of my floor space, which is at a premium.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I went with 245 50 19 on a set of BBS wheels from Tire Rack about 3 years ago with absolutely no problems. I am on second set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+. First went for almost 30,000 miles of very hard driving. Mostly Highway, concrete almost 60 mile commute daily and add 3 track days with an auto cross event to boot I thought that was great. I wanted a stiffer ride. I also have done cryo treated drilled rotors and R1 Ceramic pads. Shortened stop distances and lots less fade. View attachment 9588
Sharp wheel/tire set up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good looking wheels how do u like the bridgestones have they been up to your expectations? I know there’s a ton of great tires out there but I’m trying to stay within a budget & have been back & forth about which direction to go on tires. Trying to stay within about $100 per tire & know there’s not many options in that price range but have narrowed it down to 1or 2.....

Nankang as-25’s UHP 245/55/18
LEXANI LX UHP -207’s 255/55/18

They both seem to have strong reviews especially seeing that they are in that lower budget range... any pro’s or con’s that you know of with either of these or additional suggestions U might have?

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Good looking wheels how do u like the bridgestones have they been up to your expectations? I know there’s a ton of great tires out there but I’m trying to stay within a budget & have been back & forth about which direction to go on tires. Trying to stay within about $100 per tire & know there’s not many options in that price range but have narrowed it down to 1or 2.....

Nankang as-25’s UHP 245/55/18
LEXANI LX UHP -207’s 255/55/18

They both seem to have strong reviews especially seeing that they are in that lower budget range... any pro’s or con’s that you know of with either of these or additional suggestions U might have?
I really like Yokahamas, but when I finally got around to ordering them, Discount Tire said they were not longer available. I haven't driven a lot on the Bridgestones yet, due to quarantine, but I like the tread design and they seem to hug the road well. The ride qualify is terrific, so no complaints there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Blu3...ya I just can’t seem to get a straight answer about the 255/55/18’s would love to run these seeing that they would have a wider & taller stance but just not sure if the positive out weighs the negatives... I get guys at reputable tire shops who say prob not a good idea bc it’s outside of recommended specs but on the other hand there’s those who don’t seem to have concerns about it and say they are running 255’s wout issues.... At end of the day I’m not interested in presenting costly problems for a slight height/width gain if it in fact is going to present any issues u know???
Now if the spacer idea in the rear is received well by others that would prob be my consideration since it achieves pretty much the same results minus the height gain & dosent present other issues... hopefully someone out there with 255/55/18 experience can shed some light👍
Looking at tire rack 255/55/18 min rim width is 7 ideal 8 the 245 seems closer at ideal rim 7.5. I've tried running tires too big for a rim and I had uneven wear. Some tires have a wider more square tread that look wider. Some shops won't even look at tires that are too far from stock on stock rims. Discount tire didn't seem to care. My car cupped the tires pretty bad running 225 on rims for 205.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Makes complete since... I would ideally prefer to run 19’s with a comparable tire set up giving me what I’m looking for but in the meantime gonna stick w the OEM 18’s till I get some extra play money to throw down on the 19’s. New rubber is the main priority at this point seeing that tread depth is becoming nonexistent lol... 245/55/18 would be the logical route to go since I’m running 7” wheels & will prob go with the Nankang as-25 UHP’s.... Can get into these tires for under $100 a tire & everything I’ve seen supports running them... It’s a game of baby steps one thing at a time we’ll all eventually get there. Thanks guys for your feedback I’ll post some pics soon as I pull the trigger🔫👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey BigVeh, thanks for the pics this really helps in my discussion bc I’m still trying to convince myself in contrary to knowing if I go with 255’s could I be possibly overfilling my stock 18x7” rim.... Blu3 made a good point in saying he has run wider tires on narrow rims with a result of excelerated center wear of the tire, I understand this could be a problem. With this said I looked up the comparison of your set up vs what I would like to do & here is a pic dictating the ratios. Your 235/55/19s are basically a mirror image of the 255/55/18s outside of the additional width of the 255s The remaining ratios really have no significant impact versus your set up & the Rev/MPH actually maintains a slightly closer ratio to OEM set up.
So have you seen any adverse effects from running your 235s as I noticed in your pic with the wheel at full turn it appears your really close to contacting the wheel well. It could just be the illusion the pic depicts but curious if you are boarderline contact/rubbing? If so then I would have concerns with the 255s additional width causing contact Issues. Additionally has it thrown any codes for ABS, traction control, gear ratios, etc. etc. Just looking for any feedback that can prevent unwanted headaches bc I’ll just go with the 245/55/18s which are identical ratios to OEM other than a slight width increase that would present absolutely no problems. Although I would prefer the additional size increase from the 255s if there’s no additional concerns, maybe in this case bigger isnt always better lol!!
Hey thanks for an feedback you might be able to provide your tires look good👍

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey BigVeh, thanks for the pics this really helps in my discussion bc I’m still trying to convince myself in contrary to knowing if I go with 255’s could I be possibly overfilling my stock 18x7” rim.... Blu3 made a good point in saying he has run wider tires on narrow rims with a result of excelerated center wear of the tire, I understand this could be a problem. With this said I looked up the comparison of your set up vs what I would like to do & here is a pic dictating the ratios. Your 235/55/19s are basically a mirror image of the 255/55/18s outside of the additional width of the 255s The remaining ratios really have no significant impact versus your set up & the Rev/MPH actually maintains a slightly closer ratio to OEM set up.
So have you seen any adverse effects from running your 235s as I noticed in your pic with the wheel at full turn it appears your really close to contacting the wheel well. It could just be the illusion the pic depicts but curious if you are boarderline contact/rubbing? If so then I would have concerns with the 255s additional width causing contact Issues. Additionally has it thrown any codes for ABS, traction control, gear ratios, etc. etc. Just looking for any feedback that can prevent unwanted headaches bc I’ll just go with the 245/55/18s which are identical ratios to OEM other than a slight width increase that would present absolutely no problems. Although I would prefer the additional size increase from the 255s if there’s no additional concerns, maybe in this case bigger isnt always better lol!!
Hey thanks for an feedback you might be able to provide your tires look good👍 View attachment 9601
Hi Littleford, thank you!
It depends on the brand of tires.
There was one negative point when I used Michelin latitude tour hp it touched the front mudguard a bit. But when I replaced it with a Goodyear EfficientGrip SUV hurt the mudguard has ceased.
Moreover, their size was the same 235/55 R19. No problems with ABS traction control, gear ratios, etc.
Slightly increased fuel consumption, dynamics probably slowed down a bit. Another point is the car’s response to the track, the wider the tire, the greater the sensitivity, so I chose 235/55 R19.
I hope help you.
Sorry for my English.

·
Registered
2 Posts

245/55/18

Sidewall Height -0.0
Section Width - 0.79
Tire Height - 0.0
Tire Circum -0.0
Rev /Mile - 0.0
Mph remains same 65/65

255/55/18

Sidewall Height - 0.21
Section Width - 1.18
Tire Height - 0.42
Tire Circum - 1.32
Rev/Mile - minus 10.19
MPH change 65 OEM VS 66

I have been watching the posts regarding installing wider tires on the Crosstour. Anyone who has raced cars will tell you that the tire width and the rim width should be very near the same. It helps that the Crosstour uses tires with a tall sidewall.that is a bit more forgiving. The stock 225/60 18 tire on the stock 7 1/2" wide rim is right at the limit of a tire size that will work as a compromise CUV, daily driver with good ride and reasonable handling. Putting a 245/55 18 tire on the stock rim causes the tire to adopt a slightly convex shape which will wear the center rapidly compared to the edges. You can reduce this effect some by lowering the air pressure some. It can never be a great combination. There will be a small improvement in ride and perceived handling but the tires run hotter and tend to roll over when pushed hard. The ideal answer is to mount the 245's on 18x8 rims. This will allow the tires to put more of the tread surface on the ground with less sidewall roll. The car will handle better. Ride great. Fit perfectly in the wheel well and look really great!
I did this on my 2010 Crosstour AWD which I gave to my granddaughter when she moved to Pa. I now have a 2012 Crosstour 2 WD that I will do the same treatment. I just need to make up my mind on which wheels to get!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great info guys always thankful for feedback.... all points make absolute since guess I gotta convince myself to do the correct thing rather than what I would prefer to do... the obvious is to try and work with what u have and use the appropriate figment for what u have but that’s not always what we do trying to save a buck.... I need tread ASAP so I think I’ll press forward & just buy reasonable tires to get me by until I’m ready to pull trigger on a nice set of wider 19” wheels at which point I could run the larger tire ratios I’m looking for.... I know it’s hard to logically think sometimes when u want it now but think that’s the best approach.... I think I may compromise & go with the NANKANG as-25 UHP 245/55/18s to get buy until I find a 19” I want... these tires reviewed well especially seeing I can get into them for around $90 a tire...
I did just order a full set of E-Line drilled/slotted rotors/ ceramic pads for around $175 eBay the reviews seemed good increasing stopping distance & reducing the marshmallow OEM’s... look forward to there arrival... thanks again guys continue your feedback it’s always welcome 👍

1 - 20 of 24 Posts