Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently installed the 2016 navigation update CD in my 2011 Crosstour. When I checked my address book entries they had vanished. There is no method to back-up the address books so entries are lost. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Honda Navigation Center Response

Thank you for contacting Honda Navigation Center. We do apologize for the inconvenience but this update may delete your navigation favorites after the installation.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Ouch...

I'm not a fan of using the Navi system to find and go places, but more of a general directional guide if I get lost... as well as seeing the bends in the road that's coming up (whereas the WAZE or Google Maps app is great for going places, but isn't great at showing me the next bend on the highway / night time mountain roads)

Thank you for contacting Honda Navigation Center. We do apologize for the inconvenience but this update may delete your navigation favorites after the installation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
terrible business model

So let me get this straight. I paid a couple thousand dollars to get the package that comes with navigation, and I have to pay more than $100 per year to keep my maps up to date, and it deletes the contents of my address book when installing an update. Sounds like the salesman left out all of those fun facts when selling me the car. My phone only cost me a few hundred dollars, and it gets map updates for free without deleting my contacts. I also have more than a hundred apps on my phone that all update for free. Seems like Honda is taking advantage of its customers because they know we can't opt for a different map provider. We are stuck with the maps they put in the vehicle, and extort us for updates.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Seems like Honda is taking advantage of its customers because they know we can't opt for a different map provider. We are stuck with the maps they put in the vehicle, and extort us for updates.
ummmm.. it is common knowledge that every OEM does that... not just Honda.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ummmm.. it is common knowledge that every OEM does that... not just Honda.
And don't forget that the "free" navigation app on your phone is actually costing you your privacy in terms of whatever you allow them to mine from you data-wise. By comparison, I think I just got the 2016 Nav update offer in the mail for a discounted $99 or so--but it's "off the grid" nav assistance, so to speak.

In my opinion, where they really get you is when you spent $2000 extra on a brand new Crosstour to add that capability in the first place. If my 2013 Crosstour with 75k miles cost me $20k (EXL-v6-NAV) last fall, which roughly-but-not-exactly proportions my Nav cost also around 55% of new and comes out to about $1100, then I feel like I'll get my value with the Nav update every 3 years or so when I finally part ways around the 240k mark (depending on how maintenance goes in those days...)

I think that's what you really have to look at, the overall equation considering what you paid and your usage. Heck, if you don't hardly use the OEM nav, don't update the discs! Since I'm in outside sales in the Dallas area, Google Maps is my primary go-to navigation tool so I can avoid traffic as much as possible. However, much of my territory is far enough out from the Metroplex that cell coverage isn't good, which means I can't rely on the technology and the OEM solution is a solid backup, especially with some traffic data on this version.

·
Registered
476 Posts
or just don't order the Navi from Honda.... Install a Garmin GPS or just use your phone. They both have better features than the Honda Navi system. With th Garmin not only are the map updates free, if the GPS itself becomes "Outdated" you can just buy the latest greatest model and still be hundreds of dollars ahead of the game...

948679_10151487326418509_2772643_o by William Shivers, on Flickr

I have since upgraded to a larger screened Garmin 2798 LMT Nuvi

·
Registered
322 Posts
And this is where my Nokia Windows phone rocks....

My Nav in the phone is the same great Nokia system that is found in many high end cars. Updates included... traffic included... and has the ability to run off line without data....

My app selection may suck but my Nav is great... my camera is top notch.... I don't need the other stuff...

Unfortunately Microsoft is killing Nokia hardware and I am sure that shortly they will be gone....

·
Registered
4 Posts
More problems than just updating information on Nav system, when it acts up as my 2010 is doing you lose control of the radio, such as the ability to balance and fade speakers and tone. Poor system but I had the same issue with my 04 infinity. Now it is hard to buy a vehicle without a nav system. More toys more problems. Thank god I kept my 87 Dodge van.

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Ouch...

I'm not a fan of using the Navi system to find and go places, but more of a general directional guide if I get lost... as well as seeing the bends in the road that's coming up (whereas the WAZE or Google Maps app is great for going places, but isn't great at showing me the next bend on the highway / night time mountain roads)
I am definitely a fan of the onboard Navi DVD (running a 3+ year old update) mostly when I am driving somewhere with zero mobile phone reception...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am definitely a fan of the onboard Navi DVD (running a 3+ year old update) mostly when I am driving somewhere with zero mobile phone reception...

Also why I like my Garmin 2798 LMT Nuvi, except that I get Map Updates for the life of the Unit at no extra charge... (And Current Traffic) :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
terrible business model

So let me get this straight. I paid a couple thousand dollars to get the package that comes with navigation, and I have to pay more than $100 per year to keep my maps up to date, and it deletes the contents of my address book when installing an update. Sounds like the salesman left out all of those fun facts when selling me the car. My phone only cost me a few hundred dollars, and it gets map updates for free without deleting my contacts. I also have more than a hundred apps on my phone that all update for free. Seems like Honda is taking advantage of its customers because they know we can't opt for a different map provider. We are stuck with the maps they put in the vehicle, and extort us for updates.
I want to share my experience with Honda vehicles. I have always owned Honda and Acura vehicles. They were not the best cars but they are reliable and not a lot to complain about. But Honda is not the same as it used to be. I find the sales and finance are very crooked. We were tricked to buy the a service package for oil change after buying a new 2013 Honda Crosstour. Finance rep told us that we could bring our car in every 3000 miles for an oil change, and we would get a 15000 and 30000 mile service. But when I brought our Honda in for service, service refused to do it because they would only change the vehicle oil until it was at 15% oil life which usually at 7000 miles or more. Regarding the 15000 and 3000 mile-service, there were no such thing. Honda will only perform whatever service when their computer says it is needed. So we paid a lot for nothing. My recommendation for anyone who buys a Honda is, DO NOT BUY ANY SERVICE PACKAGE FROM HONDA AFTER YOUR VEHICLE PERCHASE. You don't need anything because your new vehicle is already under warranty and your vehicle should not have any problem for the first 5 years. You will not save any money like they tell you. It is just a way they make more money on your vehicle purchase.
Be careful when you bring your car in for service at a Honda dealership because some crooked ones will overcharge if you don't check around. I made that mistake a few years ago when I brought my Acura MDX in to replace an O2 Oxygen sensors at Honda World in Westminster, CA. It was the same dealership I had bought my Honda Crosstour and been bringing it in for service for years because it was closer to my house. After I had dropped off my car and gone home, the service rep called and gave me a quote that is very low, so I agreed to the service. When I came in to pick up my car the bill was over 1000 dollars for a service that would only cost 400 dollars at other Honda dealerships. I had no choice but to pay to pick up my car. Now I realized why the service rep would not give me a quote when I was still at the dealership, claiming that it would take a few hours for them run diagnostic test and she told me that they would drive me home to wait while my car was in their shop.
I was not going to let it go so I filed a claim with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR). BAR launched an investigation and found that Honda World was in violation. Honda World said they would RETRAIN the service rep that was involved (Big deal. What a big laugh.) and agreed to refund the overcharged amount. I got my refund check the day before Thanks Giving, how coincident. After this incident, I never brought my car to this dealership for service again. I wonder how many more people have been ripped off by this dealership without knowing. I recommend that people should file their complaints with the Bureau of Automotive Repair if they have reasonable cause that they are being ripped by their automotive service providers. There is nothing to lose. By the way, I am getting a new car. I don't know exactly what I am getting, yet, but I know for sure it will not a Honda product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts