Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, we were finally able to find a low mileage V6 4WD Crosstour just before the pandemic shutdown and we love it. There was an issue with the starter/flywheel that seemed to have cursed some models. After dealing with the hit or miss starting for a while, I found a recall for the issue for Crosstours produced before April 2015. Ours was produced in May 2015 and our local Honda dealer ran the VIN and said we weren't covered in the recall, SO nearly $900.00 later we have a new starter, repositioned flywheel and no more starting issues!
Love the car but we would like to see if there is any course of action we can take for reimbursement for this issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and please excuse the rambling message.

Thanks and stay safe,
Kevin Lane

·
Super Moderator
363 Posts
Sorry to hear you were cursed with the same issue. I was unsuccessful getting the Honda district manager in my area to cover anything on my 2013.

I took a different approach and insisted that instead of forking over $900 straight away, remove and inspect the starter. If there is no damage, rotate flywheel and reassemble.

That approach was successful (nearly two months with no more random grinding on start). I got out the dealership door for
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear you were cursed with the same issue. I was unsuccessful getting the Honda district manager in my area to cover anything on my 2013.

I took a different approach and insisted that instead of forking over $900 straight away, remove and inspect the starter. If there is no damage, rotate flywheel and reassemble.

That approach was successful (nearly two months with no more random grinding on start). I got out the dealership door for
Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Thanks edubfromktown, I wish I had thought of that. It only makes sense that the starter probably was not bad,just re-index the flywheel, who knew? Overall,we love the car so I guess this was kind of a small price to pay.
Thanks for your insight, take care and stay safe.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yup, had the same problem on a 2013 EX-V6. Got it done in conjunction with the timing belt and water pump. An expensive repair but you have to ask yourself, $2000 vs. $32000 for a new car. Run (and starts) like new again....happily! I would have hoped Honda would have been big enough to say "we screwed up" but I know of many others with the same engine and no problems at all. Because of the randomness of the problem, they are hoping we all foot the bill. Now, if you had been on a railroad track with a train coming and the car did not start........maybe there would have been a recall.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've owned my 2013 CT for just 5 weeks and the starter issue was there from day one. First cause was the battery, an aftermarket version which was woefully undersized for the car. Once that was addressed, the starter issue continued. Obviously a separate problem. I found the Service Bulletin 16-002 issued in 2016 which described my car's symptoms exactly. A trip to the local Honda dealer and I'm waiting to hear if my third party warranty will cover the repair. Sure hope so. And I agree, it should have been a recall, not just a TSB covered under warranty only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts