Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...any owners have a issue with the lift gate not opening fast enough during cold weather? Twice I have opened mine up and have hit my forehead thinking it had opened up all the way. I am in Virginia where it does not get too cold but the hydraulic lifts should be able to handle the cold weather. Thanks

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am in MD and haven't had any issues with opening my 2010 hatch in the cold...

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2013 CT lives in Fargo, ND where it really gets a tad chilly. The rear hatch is a head knocker in cold weather, but I am talking -10 or so. Just push it up by hand to full up position. Wish they would put a power lift on them.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When it gets cold out, nothing can happen fast enough to get me into a warm car. Really like the heated seats the few days I get a chance to use them in FL.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, I know what you mean about the cold weather making it a bit of a hassle when opening the tailgate. Like others have said, I usually just try to push it all the way up to prevent it from falling back down and hitting me.. which has happened a few times.

Also, when there is snow on the tailgate, it puts more pressure making it ALOT heavier so pay attention to that. Don't want you to get hurt if it falls back down!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
If I put a dent in my tailgate with my head, will my comprehensive insurance cover the repair cost?

I'm not worried about the head repairs. The VA covers that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2011 doesn't open quite all the way with a little help when its really cold 10F or below. I figured I would just watch it and if it gets worse I will look at replacing the gas shocks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello all...any owners have a issue with the lift gate not opening fast enough during cold weather? Twice I have opened mine up and have hit my forehead thinking it had opened up all the way. I am in Virginia where it does not get too cold but the hydraulic lifts should be able to handle the cold weather. Thanks
I don't know if your CT has the cargo covers or not, but one solution you might try is to replace the OEM NON-cargo cover lift struts, which are rated at 545 Newtons of force, with the replacement struts that come in the cargo cover kit, which are rated at 580 Newtons of force. Here's the part at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support/sachs-lift-support/honda/crosstour-ex-l/2013/6-cylinders-3-5l-mfi-sohc/281131_670863_19977/

The additional 35N of force may not handle much in the way of snow on the hatchback, but it should help a little otherwise. . . I wonder if there's a replacement strut with an even higher force rating that will fit our CT's?

BTW--the Sachs Stabilus part from Autozone SG326022 IS the OEM part that Honda codes as the A01 part #. I sorted this out when I bought a cargo cover for my 2013 CT and looked around to make sure I had the upgraded struts so that hopefully I won't run into the same situation. . . Guess I'll see this winter!

·
Registered
476 Posts

I have this problem 100% of time, cold weather, Hot weather, in between weather... Doesn't matter, hit myself square in the forehead with the metal lip of the liftgate.... if I'm not careful.... :confused:

Oh yeah, I'm 6'5"... :rolleyes:

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if your CT has the cargo covers or not, but one solution you might try is to replace the OEM NON-cargo cover lift struts, which are rated at 545 Newtons of force, with the replacement struts that come in the cargo cover kit, which are rated at 580 Newtons of force. Here's the part at Autozone:

http://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/lift-support/sachs-lift-support/honda/crosstour-ex-l/2013/6-cylinders-3-5l-mfi-sohc/281131_670863_19977/

The additional 35N of force may not handle much in the way of snow on the hatchback, but it should help a little otherwise. . . I wonder if there's a replacement strut with an even higher force rating that will fit our CT's?

BTW--the Sachs Stabilus part from Autozone SG326022 IS the OEM part that Honda codes as the A01 part #. I sorted this out when I bought a cargo cover for my 2013 CT and looked around to make sure I had the upgraded struts so that hopefully I won't run into the same situation. . . Guess I'll see this winter!
Hello, I’m curious how this change worked for you. My hatch has always been a problem in the cold and last week, in my warm garage My hatch slammed closed. The hydrolics are completely shot and I need to replace them. Any reviews post change in size would be helpful!

thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I’m curious how this change worked for you. My hatch has always been a problem in the cold and last week, in my warm garage My hatch slammed closed. The hydrolics are completely shot and I need to replace them. Any reviews post change in size would be helpful!

thanks!
Hello salesrep, thank you! I’ll give that a try. I don’t have the cargo cover. I’ll ask if there is a stronger one too. I have auto stores near by so I can stop in and ask.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts