Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a head's up to you guys out there that may notice a little smoke from the tailpipes after initial startup. Our 2012 EX-L 4WD started smoking a bit (after a couple of weeks). We took it into the shop and they said they couldn't figure it out but not to worry about it, just keep an eye on the oil level. They couldn't find a leak or anything. We had left the car overnight - got it back and the next day, the service manager called and asked us to bring it back because a similar case was occuring to a CT in AZ. He said what fixed it was replacing the spark plugs, which they were going to try on ours. They kept if for about three days, we went back to get it, but they didn't say what they did. Upon looking at the repair order, we saw that they spent about $6,000 and replaced the front cylinder head! Crazy, huh? Regardless, I'm a little disappointed that the engine has been "opened up". I hope everything's ok now.
Hope this doesn't happen to you!

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Zoinks! Sorry to hear that but in the grand scheme of things, better to open it up and fix then let it fester over time. Defects are incredibly uncommon these days with all the tight manufacturing tolerances but some small percentage will still occur : /

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
Can you tell me a bit more information about your vehicle:

Did you purchase your CT new?
How many miles on the odometer now?
Are you using regular oil or synthetic oil? What brand? What weight?
Who has been doing your oil changes? Dealership? Jiffy Lube?
What mileage did you change the first oil at?
What mileage did you change the second, third, etc.?
Have you or anyone else ever added any oil additives? Sometimes some independent garage and quick changes places try and sell you oil additives.
Does it smoke only on the first start after sitting 7 or 8 hours that you see about 3 to 5 seconds of white bluish smoke and then it goes away?
Do you live in a cold or hot climate?

My arm chair diagnosis is that your valve seals have hardened up and oil is leaking past the seals. This can foul the plugs and would also a bit later tend to clog the oxygen sensors too. This will eventually cause your CEL (Check Engine Light) to come on. Let me know the answers to the above.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No oil change - it is brand new with about 1500 miles. It smoked usually after sitting (either overnight or several hours). Synthetic was in it off the line. No check engine light, warm climate (Knoxville, TN), no additives - all factory fresh. They first thought it would be the plugs, but ended up replacing the cylinder head.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
One more question: Anything unusual with engine break in over the 1500 miles? Any extended idling? High Speeds? Excessive vehicle load (Even carrying 4 passengers)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
One more question: Anything unusual with engine break in over the 1500 miles? Any extended idling? High Speeds? Excessive vehicle load (Even carrying 4 passengers)?
Honestly none of that should really matter. The way these engines are manufactured now a lot of car companies don't even have a break-in period anymore. And its a brand new motor so hardened valve seals wouldn't really be possible. Plain and simple this gentleman just had a rare manufacturing issue. On rare occasions it does happen. Now that they have it fixed it should be good as new and he shouldn't have anymore issues with it. My CT came from the factory with a valve tick. I noticed it when I got home with the car and parked it in my garage where it was quiet enough to hear it. I took it back to Honda and they pulled the valve covers and readjusted the valve lashing and its been perfect ever since...that was almost 15,000 mi ago.

·
Super Moderator
805 Posts
DaninMN – You’re right that some car manufacturers do not have a break in period anymore. But some do. If you look on page 282 of your owner’s manual you will see that Honda does recommend a specific “Break-in Period” to help assure your vehicle’s future reliability and performance. They specifically recommend:
1) Avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration
2) Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time
3) Avoid hard braking
4) Do not tow a trailer
My point in asking the OP if there was anything unusual with engine break in over the 1500 miles? Extended idling? High Speeds? Excessive vehicle load? Pretty much fit with what Honda recommended in the owner’s manual.

Often like you mentioned, a rare manufacturing problem will show up; be it a valve tick noise or smoke issue like above. I have just seen too often that some vehicle owners decide to break in their vehicle in a manner that can cause damage. I’ve seen everything from Speed Racer break in to driving the car like a grandma (No offense to grandma’s) to everything in-between. I just wanted to eliminate the possibility of customer error.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far so good...

Well, it's been a month since the CT came out of the shop - it's working great - no smoke, no nothing. I'm very glad - the guys at the dealership were very accomodating - thanks West Side Honda / Knoxville, TN!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts