Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 drive train issue

Sitting still and turning the wheel to the right you can hear a clunk - Turning the wheel to the left not so much.

Checked both front wheel bearings for looseness and seemed ok.

Driving the car deceleration you hear a clunk then goes away

driving the car straight sometimes you hear a repetitive clunk clicking then will disappear.

Turning left or right no noticeable noise or clunking or clicking

Thinking from past experience that it should be a short shaft CV joint bearings worn out

Not 100% convinced yet only and would like to verify 100% before buying this very expensive item.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
762 Posts
Since this happens standing still, what I would do is to find a second person to lie under the vehicle as you cause it to make this noise. They should be able to identify the worn part very quickly. Obviousy, be very careful with someone under your car!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Since this happens standing still, what I would do is to find a second person to lie under the vehicle as you cause it to make this noise. They should be able to identify the worn part very quickly. Obviousy, be very careful with someone under your car!!
Make sure they look at the lower ball joint to see if the boot is torn perhaps or bulging from the ball coming out of the joint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sometimes we miss the most obvious and go down a rabbit hole -- removed left tire and inspected again with tire removed only thing I found was one semi tight wheel nut. Go and do the right side and WTF two lug nuts are gone and three are loose, Get two new lug nuts and torque all wheels to specs.

Dealer ship did a oil,transmission, differential fluid service and wheel rotation. Next time I will ask to see the tech torque my wheel nuts, It could have ended up way bad as I travel on turnpike to work 80 MPH. Test drive know click, thump, or anything!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check the Rack

Rack & Pinion is a possibility. Check the rack ends inner and outer. They are ball type joints. Also check the rack mounting bushings.

Note: The steering wheel does not need to be moved much, just a degree or two to take out any slack and apply pressure, then back the other direction.

You may be able to do this on the ground or put the car up on ramps. You can have your hand on the rack end while someone turns the wheel back & forth. It should not clunk. If it does you need to determine which one. Just be careful that your arm doesn't get trapped and hurt. Then watch the rack while the steering wheel is moved. If it moves then the bushings need to be replaced.

Hope this helps

FSG

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow Mash1020... missing lug nuts are scary. The Acura TSX my wife drives was purchased used and came with lifetime oil change from dealer where original owner purchased it. They overinflated one of her tires to ~60 psi one time!

FormerSuzuikGuy has a good point as well. The rack & pinion unit in my 2010 was warranty replaced (big-H paid 80%) years back based on somewhat similar symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts