Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been drooling over this car for 5 yrs now and finally bought a 2012 EX-L, V6, AWD. 53,000 miles on it. Ive had it 6 weeks and am super excited! Now here's the problem...

I have noticed a subtle jerking, or lunging, when driving at a consistent speed, usually within the 45-80mph range. It does it with or without cruise control, and it occurs fairly frequently. I spend a lot of time on the road and had expected a smoother ride. It is irritating to me when Im driving.

Nothing changes in the control panel, no engine lights, etc. The ECO light goes on and off, which is normal, and theres really no correlation, that I've noticed. I find it difficult to believe they would design a car with VCM if it was going to compromise the ride with obnoxious lunging, shifting itself in and out of eco mode.

I haven't taken it in yet to be checked. Thought I would put it out there first and ask if this is typical behavior for this car before I go on a goose chase and/ or spend a lot of cash. It's not something I noticed when I test drove it. Is this normal for this car, or what do you think it could be? Something in the fuel delivery possibly?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Could be a problem with the fuel delivery system, or even the transmission, get it checked out, sometimes with used cars its a lottery since you have little to no idea if the previous owner was good to her or not

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems too. So, I took it in. The first time I sat there 4 hours while they test drove it, and took snapshots, etc. The mechanic could actually feel what I was describing. Initially, they said it could be the torque converter, but then after a third look and two mechanics in the car, they thought it was something to do with a miscommunication between speed and the throttle position and PCM. Meaning throttle position did not match throttle body. They spent a fair amount of time on the phone with Honda and asked if they could have the car for a day to run some tests that Honda wanted them to do. AND guess what, at the end of the day they called me and told me Honda decided that it was running normally. He also said they had another 2012 Crosstour in for something, ran the same tests on it, and said
the snapshots and the behavior of the two cars were identical. They went ahead and changed the transmission fluid and differential fluid thinking maybe there could be some debris in there. Can't say that it really helped any.

My plan now is to take it to my dealer in town, a different dealer. Ill just tell them that the engine seems to engage and disengage at steady high speeds and see what they say. If they say it's normal too, then not much else I can do I guess. I still find it hard to believe that this is the way the car is intended to run. Not impressed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2010 ex l does the same thing.
I think it is the engine going into eco mode and converter locking and unlocking.

Also seems to go up into lock up very early and causes a droning at light throttle.

Don't know if there is any kind of ecm reflash that can cure this! Any one had a computer reflash?

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Get on the highway... go 60mph... let go of the gas, then tap your cruise control on.... Is this the "lunging" you're talking about?

In the scenario above, you're starting at 60mph in Eco (3 Cyl) mode. let go of gas, the RPM starts to drop, and then you tap on the cruise control, and it switches to 6 Cyl. while at the same time increase RPM...

It doesn't really bother me, and you can in theory drive more carefully to avoid it...

Like slowly accelerating while in the shift ranges, or manually gas up to speed before turning on the cruise control, etc.

I don't think there's any mechanical problem here... but the gear shifts on the highway to accelerate after you let off the gas does jump a bit.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 2009 accord and 2014 crosstour and they both have the Eco mode. I remember when I bought the accord, I felt a little jerk every time the Eco went on and off and I was worried and disappointed of this but you'll get use to it. I honestly never think about it anymore.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar issue when cruising on the highway the car felt like power loss was happening on and off. I just did a fluid changes in trans. diff, and transfer case. All issues seemed to have disappeared. I had been wondering if the previous owner had not been doing service, and this kind of confirms my suspicion as I saw how dirty the fluid was when I changed them.

·
Super Moderator
333 Posts
Not sure if this might be relevant for someone in this thread... I had to have my entire rack and pinion steering replaced ~60k (due to other issues like grinding noise during cold start and I could detect some mild steering inconsistency).

It appears as though this has been a significantly larger issue on other Honda platforms. The reason I researched it thoroughly is that big H wasn't going to cover a dime of the dealer "recommended" repairs initially- they came to their senses with a bit of "encouragement"...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2012 EX-L 4wd w 22k that I purchased 5 months ago that does the same thing. On three separate occasions driving on the highway my CT also had the ABS and traction control light come on. Every time when it just started raining.
Brought it to the service dept at the dealer twice already and they have no idea how to fix the problem and can't find anything wrong.
Within the first month when I got the car I had the front drivers side strut and bearing replaced, thinking it might be a bad speed sensor when the dealership replaced the bearing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
surging and droning

I know that ECO mode switching can cause erratic driving issues and have eliminated for the most part the VCM by following the instructions on Pilot Forums and installing a 68 ohm resistor in the engine coolant sensor which tricks the ECM into thinking the coolant temp is lower than it is and stops the VCM kicking in.
Now my ECO no longer kicks in and out but I still get shudders when trans changes gears under light throttle. It seems more a trans issue to me. The droning noise feels as if the converter is locking up prematurely.

Any one else with transmission shudders?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know that ECO mode switching can cause erratic driving issues and have eliminated for the most part the VCM by following the instructions on Pilot Forums and installing a 68 ohm resistor in the engine coolant sensor which tricks the ECM into thinking the coolant temp is lower than it is and stops the VCM kicking in.
Now my ECO no longer kicks in and out but I still get shudders when trans changes gears under light throttle. It seems more a trans issue to me. The droning noise feels as if the converter is locking up prematurely.

Any one else with transmission shudders?
I like the notion of the resistor to trick the sensor. As a new-to-me owner of a 2012, I have not yet picked up on the tranny shudders, but I would appreciate a post to say where the coolant sensor can be found.
I believe, from limited resistor knowledge, that it would not matter which way round the resistor was, and neither would it matter which wire was interrupted but any help as to where the sensor is, would be gratefully received.
This said, have you experienced any spin-off issues resulting from the resistor ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2013 Honda Crosstour ex-l awd v6 3.5l.

issue:
Car does a kick down on rpms and back up at 40-45mph (happens more often like it’s not finding a gear) or at 60-65mph .it goes up and down by 500rpms. Usually when at a steady pace of 1200rpms at 40mph or a steady pace of 60mph at 2000rpms. I went to manual and it didn't have a problem shifting but rpms stayed high for the cars usual drive. 2000rpm-2200 at 65.is high for my Normalit's 1800 at that speed. No noises or fluid leaks. Last transmission service was at 10,000 miles ago at a Honda dealer in San Antonio. When this happens you feel the car jerk like you do if a strong wind hits you in a bigger vehicle.

at 40mph at steady pace rpms are at 1200 then jump up to 2000 and back to 1200. No speed gain or anything.

At 60mph at steady pace it will do the same thing. But drops down in rpms. It’s at 2000rpm and drops to 1500. Eco light does not turnoff and on when this is happening.
no fluid leaking, just put a new battery in and recharged the ac at firestone. Because my original issues were this all in one day..
“Ac not cooling on and off, sulfur smell, mpg dropping, and rpms going up and down by 500rpms”...
I replaced battery and did an ac recharge. Didn’t have the kick back for two days. Then it started again.
I have it at Honda now. But no check engine light.
Another thing is a did notice that the fan sounds louder.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2013 Honda Crosstour ex-l awd v6 3.5l.

issue:
Car does a kick down on rpms and back up at 40-45mph (happens more often like it’s not finding a gear) or at 60-65mph .it goes up and down by 500rpms. Usually when at a steady pace of 1200rpms at 40mph or a steady pace of 60mph at 2000rpms. I went to manual and it didn't have a problem shifting but rpms stayed high for the cars usual drive. 2000rpm-2200 at 65.is high for my Normalit's 1800 at that speed. No noises or fluid leaks. Last transmission service was at 10,000 miles ago at a Honda dealer in San Antonio. When this happens you feel the car jerk like you do if a strong wind hits you in a bigger vehicle.

at 40mph at steady pace rpms are at 1200 then jump up to 2000 and back to 1200. No speed gain or anything.

At 60mph at steady pace it will do the same thing. But drops down in rpms. It’s at 2000rpm and drops to 1500. Eco light does not turnoff and on when this is happening.
no fluid leaking, just put a new battery in and recharged the ac at firestone. Because my original issues were this all in one day..
“Ac not cooling on and off, sulfur smell, mpg dropping, and rpms going up and down by 500rpms”...
I replaced battery and did an ac recharge. Didn’t have the kick back for two days. Then it started again.
I have it at Honda now. But no check engine light.
Another thing is a did notice that the fan sounds louder.
What's your milage?
What solved a lot of my strange acting transmission symptoms was disabling the VCM. Are you familiar with its operation and the benefits of disabling it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good ole 182k miles 🤓. No I am not familiar. I did take it to Honda today and they couldn’t figure it out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good ole 182k miles 🤓. No I am not familiar. I did take it to Honda today and they couldn’t figure it out.
Has this vehicle always been in Texas, on unsalted roads? I ask because corrosion can have an effect on the 3 grounding cables. Battery to frame, engine to frame, transmission to frame.
At 180k miles, my Crosstour had the big oil leak near the dip stick. This leak can drip oil into the alternator, killing it. Thankfully, I caught it in time and saved my alternator.
Has the transmission filter ever been changed?

If you would like to drive your Crosstour another 100k miles, I highly recommend disabling the VCM. It cost about $95. I use S-VCM. Here's the link. The VCM works by deactivating certain cylinders when decelerating or when in cruise. This is for more fuel economy. But the side effect of not having all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time is fouled spark plugs, dirty injectors/valves, engine oil loss and catalytic converter issues. S-VCM (and other brands) work by tricking the computer that the engine is not warmed up, so the VCM operation never comes on. Takes about 5-10 minutes to install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it’s a Texas car. No rust any where. No oil leaks or leaks of any kind. I’m a stickler when maintaining my vehicles. I’m leaving towards the torque converter starting to go out. But I did the flush and I’m trying to not jinx it. Lol 😂

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes it’s a Texas car. No rust any where. No oil leaks or leaks of any kind. I’m a stickler when maintaining my vehicles. I’m leaving towards the torque converter starting to go out. But I did the flush and I’m trying to not jinx it. Lol 😂
👍
Hop over to Piloteers.org sometime. Everyone is a V6 owner. VCM disabling is common to most who at first thought they had transmission problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts