Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody purchased the latest crosstour navigation disk ?

We recently did for our 2012 CT

The disk generates totally wrong information

For example , on a trip that is 95 % highway that takes 55 minutes. The latest disk wants to get off the first exit of the highway and travel local roads

We are tried all options and the results are mostly the same

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Two comments:

First, normally when this happens it means you have the GPS set to Shortest Possible Route as opposed to Fastest Possible Route.

Second, I'm not sure how many GPS units you have used, but pretty much any other GPS will work faster and more accurate than the factory GPS in your CT. Most ALL phones will do better. After a few months of using the GPS in my 2012 CT, I gave up and just started using my phone. You might try another GPS and see how you like it. I felt funny doing that because I spent extra money for the factory GPS, so I really wanted to use it, but it is pretty crappy.

I changed the thread title a bit as I don't want people thinking this question is about a 2020 CT (even though there is no such thing).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

My wife choose to buy the update over because she does like to use the phone when driving by herself

We have used all the options ( shortest and fastest) are not options. Rather the disk uses terms like all highway, no highway, easiest route, etc)

No matter what we chose the result is the same ( longest and worst)

·
Super Moderator
792 Posts
Sorry, but that is why many call the factory GPS "crappy". You might check out a Garmin or TomTom or some other brand GPS. Make sure to get one that has free updates. You don't want to be paying for updates every few years. Here at Best Buy for $129 you can get a GPS with a 5 inch screen, touch screen, 3D map, lifetime map updates, speed camera alerts, covers US and Canada, with a 1 year parts and labor warranty. Model #010-02036-06. And the biggest benefit is that you can move this from one car to another, unlike the Crosstour GPS. There are many more features available but with each feature you have to pay more. I believe this was on sale for Memorial day for $99.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been using Google and Apple Maps for years now. Here's why...
  1. The display of the CT's navigation is about as good as an original Nintendo. Visualization is much better on the phone.
  2. Entering an address is into the CT's nav painful and results for businesses have never been accurate. You might get a folder with a bazillion locations and you have to figure out which is the one you want. With the phone, you say where you want to go. No fumbling with the dash interface.
  3. The phone will route you around traffic and is always updating the route time estimates. And if traffic changes, you'll be notified that another route has been found or if you're route is still the fastest.
  4. Audio prompts come out over the speakers while I listen to Pandora or podcasts or over Bluetooth as a call.
  5. Maps are updated automatically. No spending $100+ every couple of years.
I'm sold on using Google Maps and Apple Maps. Waze gave me a problem once trying to find a slightly off-the-beaten-path address once, although I still like the crowd-sourced information about road hazards and police. The CT won't be doing that at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts