Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Crosstour v6 2wd auto.
Anyone have the hi oil consumption issue and have the ecm update performed, then instructed to file a claim with honda because your engine is about to die??? If so where are the threads dealing with this???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here is forum thread at bottom of my post. I went through all this about a year ago. Replaced plugs at about 100 K and The new software. I also installed s-vcm and have not had any other issues.

Urgent: V6 engine misfire lawsuit - How Common is this problem?

Urgent: V6 engine misfire lawsuit - How Common is this...

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
Here is forum thread at bottom of my post. I went through all this about a year ago. Replaced plugs at about 100 K and The new software. I also installed s-vcm and have not had any other issues.

Urgent: V6 engine misfire lawsuit - How Common is this problem?

Urgent: V6 engine misfire lawsuit - How Common is this...
Similar story here except that my car remains stock (no s-vcm).

The motor has >100k on it now and oil consumption is not too bad (less than 1 qt down after 5-6k miles).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same thing happen with my 2010 EX-L 2wd. Honda ended up covering all of the parts and some/most of the labor. I had 2 or 3 cylinders re-sleeved and replaced and the head re-done. Took almost 2 weeks at the dealership and my out of pocket was $450 I believe. It stinks that this happened but it's the cheapest 'sort of kind of' engine rebuild you'll ever get. I believe the car had 120K on it when we did it. It runs very strong now, no issues at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got this car right after the warranty extension expired. Honda will not do anything after that. I spent hours talking to corporate with multiple different managers, and they will not do anything. Also, you have to actively have codes and oil soaked plugs at the time before the warranty expires, which on 2010 CT is already expired. Having only oil consumption and soaked plugs will not do it.

I have oil soaked plugs and use about 1qt of oil every 2K mi depending on Eco Mode usage. The more I use Eco Mode, the higher the oil usage. In an average oil change at around 6K I use 3qt’s of oil, which is crazy considering the engine only holds 4.5qts of oil.

I am about to get one of the S-VCM modules and see if that helps. It sucks going on long trips and having to carry oil and frequently check it. If not, it’s very easy to have no oil showing on the dipstick.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I was fortunate that this happened to me while I was still under warranty with my 2010 EX-L. When the check engine light came on and started blinking, the car went into limp mode. I had it flat-bedded to the dealer. They changed a couple of plugs and did some reprogramming, and stuff. They told me if the CEL came on again, they'd have to perform major engine work.

A couple of weeks later, the CEL came on again (just the CEL – no limp mode) and back to the dealer it went. They rebuilt the short block, replaced, rings, and replaced the rest of the plugs. This all happened at about 78k miles, so I had them do the timing belt and water pump while they had everything apart. Saved me a couple of hundred bucks, since they were already in there.

Since then I've done nothing else to the engine. No VCM muzzler or antying. I'm now at just shy of 200k miles and, knock on wood, all has been good. Just maintenance.

I wish you the best of luck with Honda. I'm not sure you have any leverage, but as the saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

·
Registered
62 Posts
S-VCM saved my 2012 Crosstour(s). Just turned 250k miles this week with no end in sight. If you think you don't need a VCM disabling device now, you will wish you did later. The visual evidence of burned oil deposits on the outside of cylinder #4 tell the story of what's happening on the inside.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is this the part needed to avoid problems?? If yes, is this a good brand, and a good price?? They also are asking "short pig tail" or "long pig tail" and I'm not at all sure which to get. Sorry, my engine know hows are in American Muscle Cars from the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know too much about these new-ish imports.

I have a 2012 Crosstour with the 2.4L engine front wheel drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had about the same problem with my 2012 V6-L at around 65K. Started it up to head home one afternoon and it was running really rough. Limped home, checked the codes, and set up an appointment with my Honda dealer. It was a warranty repair; they did the re-sleeving and head work; provided loaner car; all covered. This happened in late 2018 and I just made it in the warranty period. After the 'rebuild', I purchased the S-VCM and haven't looked back. Engine responds quicker without dealing with VCM and MPG wasn't noticeably affected -- in my case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is this the part needed to avoid problems?? If yes, is this a good brand, and a good price?? They also are asking "short pig tail" or "long pig tail" and I'm not at all sure which to get. Sorry, my engine know hows are in American Muscle Cars from the 1960's and 1970's. I don't know too much about these new-ish imports.

I have a 2012 Crosstour with the 2.4L engine front wheel drive.
Your 4 cylinder is VCM free. No Muzzler needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts