Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While my new 2013 Crosstour is at the dealership getting its factory hitch looked at, I was lent a 2012 Crosstour as a loaner. Some interesting differences between the two models.

The first thing I noticed is of course the grill and center dash area. Big differences for sure. My 2013 has more overall power, but the 2013 seems zippier, with a faster throttle. The 2012 also seems a little firmer with a little more road feel (both good and bad). The biggest difference though seems to be the steering. While my 2013 steering has a nice overall feel and weight, the 2012 seems to be a bit quicker and sporty feeling. The 2012 car feels lighter overall and more toss-able, the 2013 feels a little tighter and plush.

Anyone else that’s drive both models notice anything similar?

·
Registered
123 Posts
MentalMonkey, funny you mention. I did test drive the new 2013 Crosstour V6 EX-L this past weekend. I am not sure if it is because the car was new, but I did feel the Crosstour was more softly sprung. Secondary rebound damping was about the same. The potholes feels less pronounced. Driving down the same road to work, I found road noise was about the same (with radio was off, A/C vent was on speed 1, windows up).

As far as suspension and steering. I felt the steering to be the same ratio wise. Honda's website states a 15.2:1 steering ratio for 2013, which is unchanged from the 2010-2012 model. but I did notice that body roll was less pronounced (subjectively by half perhaps?). Maybe they added thicker stabilizer bars or changed their angle??. Not as good as a Accord Sedan or BMW 3-series, ....but less nonetheless.

The new V6 I drove felt quicker, partly due to Honda's "EarthDreams" powertrain, which includes DIRECT injection and 6 speed automatic. The engine also seems more eager to rev quickly. No sure if it is because the gears are more closely spaced. The engine note when it revs is also a bit more subdued (maybe because its a new engine). The torque curve seem to kick in sooner (maybe by 500rpms sooner) than did previously, so I felt more torque kick in sooner and longer duration. The transmission was also quicker to downshift, too. At 70 mph on a flat grade road, the engine was turning 1900rpm. On my 2010 Crosstour, the engine turns 2000 rpm going 60mph. So about a 10% improvement in fuel economy. The paddle shifters are new, which made driving more enjoyable. The "Sport" mode, also held gears no matter how hard or long I revved the engine.

I have to give Honda credit. They did a good job engineering wise with the redesign.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m definitely happy with my new 2013, Honda seems to have stepped up their game. I really like the overall suspense balance between flat handling and smoothness. There is however a slight perceivable loss in driving dynamics in the 2013 from the 2012 I borrowed. Somehow, the 2012 felt a little more connected to the road. FriedRice, your right about the steering ratio staying the same 15.2:1. Did the 2012 have hydraulic steering that went to electric in the 2013?

The 2013 is most assuredly faster overall then the 2013 with not only the slight increase HP, but with the fatter torque curve, however at slower speeds the 2013 felt like it had more responsive throttle. Might me the change from 4.53 rear ratio to 4.25 (V6 AWD).

Anyways, just some observation on the 2012 to 2013. Anyone else have any experiences?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you please post pictures of the trailer hitch on the '13. I have read that it stick out like some aftermarket hitches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts