Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As members of the forum will know, I have been a major advocate of the CT since I bought mine in October of last year (2010 EXL-AWD). I have been especially vocal perhaps because this is my first ever Honda (been a Lexus/Toyota guy for many years).

Well, I just had my first "service" (rationale for use of " " will become evident). Throughout my pre-sales negotiation I was constantly bombarded about what a great, award winning service department was part of this large dealership in Southern New Hampshire as well as how my first "service" was/would be free.

I just had my first service (oil and filter change plus tire rotation) at 8K miles in spite of the fact that the car was telling me I had 20% life left to my oil...it just seemed like it was time. I arranged the service on-line and noted in the comments section that it was my first service and that I had been told it would be free.

Upon arrival I was told the oil change would be free but the tire rotation would be $13.00....no big deal except I had been told the "service" would be free with no mention about paying anything. I asked the service rep about this (btw, I am always very courteous to these people as they are typically the low person on the totem pole). The lady was very nice but then said what no service rep should ever say "I'm sorry, but I only work here, I don't make the rules". Needless to say I was put off but kept my mouth shut and went to the "lounge". It's now 8:10am and I immediately discover that their only source of coffee is out of order...took talking to three people to learn this. Oh well, I'll just watch TV...nope, big screen TV is also "out of order".

One hour later I am called from the lounge, given my keys and bill and told the car is ready. Not five words about what they did, what they found, what they did/did not check during this "first service". All in all a basically crummy experience. Needless to say I will not return to them for service.

I know, I know...no coffee and no TV is no big deal and certainly $13.00 to rotate the tires isn't going to break the bank and the fact that the service rep took no responsibility for my "satisfaction" is not a killer either...but in combination it resulted in a terrible experience early on a Monday morning. Service is often about expectation setting and fulfilling...they set a certain expectation and failed miserably to meet it.:(

Still love my CT but I have lost respect for the dealership and my impression of Honda has slipped a bit too. Did get a follow-up call from the dealership by an overly eager lady who assumed immediately that I had had a great service visit and only called to verify such....before we ended the call she was thoroughly disabused of that notion (courteously again)...no survey follow-up from Honda, of course.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't had a any service yet on the CT but my first service on my '08 Ridgeline @ my dealer in was a total 180 for yours. Had to pay for the rotation of the tires. But they told me exactly what was done, every fluid that was checked, what they topped off. Had cookies, coffee, wifi, big screen TV and my car salesman came over just to check and make sure everything was OK. I agree with you I would look to another dealer for the rest of your service.

Just curious what type of mileage have you be getting on your CT?

Gary

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry to hear that, wildwilly... Just out of curiosity, was this Grappone?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1st service experience

the service experience I described was at Autofair Honda in Manchester...is Grappone better?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1st service experience

Gary....I have been seeing 24mpg (overall)...got better than that on a long trip to Florida though

·
Registered
622 Posts
You've got it Wild Willy, vote on the experience with your feet. And keep an eye out, you may just get a 'How did we do' from Honda.

Glad everything with the car is ok though. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Please modify your OP to say waht the name of the dealer was and it's location and Contact information. It makes it much easier to find if people are running a search on good and bad dealers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
We service our Odyssey at Peter's Honda of Nashua, NH. I didn't buy my CT there b/c they didn't have what I wanted, but I do plan to service it there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
service in general

It has been my experience that most (notice I say most) Honda service is terrible.
It took me 5 years and 3 Honda's to find a Honda dealer I could trust, (I've bought my last two Honda's from them), and if it weren't for the service manager alone going above and beyond to correct mistakes and oversights I wouldn't go back.
Even though the service guy has been excellent, chances of me returning to buy another Honda are slim.
I deal with a rural Honda dealership and am glad I do, because the horror stories I hear from other Honda owners who attend to the "larger" dealerships for service are amazing.
Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I go to Ancona Honda here in KC, they have really good service and the Service Techs are pretty friendly. They always stop in and keep you updated and even walk you out to your car after you pay your bill. If the car is dirty they also wash it for you. The waiting area is fare nothing great. I normally get there in the afternoon so all the children that have been before me have destroyed the place.
The issues you bring up is Customer service and its virtual disappearance from our society. It use to be the customer comes first but it seem now a days its not. Companies are so geared to productivity they have forgotten about the customer and how important they are to the viability of their business.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wildwilly - I'm not sure about Grappone. I just bought mine at Gerrish Honda in Lebanon. Everything went very well with my CT purchase and I know that their service seems to be top notch as we bought a Pilot there in '04 and have had it serviced there ever since.

- Tim

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
First service was good for me (no charge)... 15% oil life @ 6900 miles. While I was sitting there waiting, a tech came in to tell another Honda owner that a replacement battery would be $169.00 (and the guy said okay) [email protected]#$%^&*

Going to the dealership for service is like swimming w/ hungry sharks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My first service was great. Tires rotated in a modified X pattern like I want, genuine Hoda oil filter and new drain plug crush washer. Any residual drain oil properly wiped of the under carriage. And proper torque values applied to the wheel studs and drain plug. All fluid levels checked and topped off and the oil remainder properly reset. Work done as soon as I showed up.

That's what happens when you do it yourself.:)

PS; I had a first service for free from my dealer but declined.

·
Super Moderator
345 Posts
That's what happens when you do it yourself.:)

PS; I had a first service for free from my dealer but declined.
Yup- I figured since this one was free I'd take advantage of it :D

The ultimate DIY oil change story: when I was in high school a friend of mine was changing the oil in his mother's Mercedes. He thought he'd save time and not use a jack and went inside to get a soda while the oil was draining. His mother blew out of the house to run and get something from the grocery store quickkk... She made it ~2 1/2 blocks. I helped transport and replace the seized motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts