Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1st Road Trip 2200 miles

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Army Dad 
#1 ·
Just a few observations, took a road trip to Rhode Island last week. Mom real sick, not what I planned and I was mentally distracted most of the ride. Anyway, just wanted to give forth a few thoughts.

First, did nor burn any oil, thought it was a 1/2 quart down but remembered that someone said make sure it is real flat. Just checked it in the garage at home and it is still full. So, no oil consumption in the first 5k miles. Build date July 2010.

Mileage for the trip was about 29mpg, all highway driving. Found the trip calculator in the Navi was about 1.5 mpg higher than the pencil and paper real math. Found that I got about 31 true mpg friving 60-65, and about 29 driving 70-75. No surprises there.

Found that above 70 there is a very noticeable vibration, smooth as glass below 70. The vibration was very noticeable and tried running it up to 85 to get rid of it. Under acceleration it was ok but as soon as you planed off it came back. Steering wheel jumping about an ince left and right if you let go of it. Also, vibration was quite noticeable from the back also. This is a 2WD model. Sound like wheel balance guys?

Sun roof did not shatter or blow up, no real squeeks or rattles appeared and it was a pleasure to ride in, sans vibration.

As far as comfort, the seats really do their job for a long ride. I go about 230, felt supported all the way and really felt good getting out after a 5-6 hour stretch with no break.

My wife and daughter filled the back with luggage, (Why did we need a boogie board in New England in November?) With three of us in the vehicle, the back full of luggage, and a full tank of gas the car was loaded down to about capacity and maybe a little back heavy.

Overall, she's a keeper. If I can get rid of that vibration this car may be an all time best.

See less See more
#2 ·
Overall, she's a keeper. If I can get rid of that vibration this car may be an all time best.[/quote]

Let’s hope for out of balance! Out of balance can occur at higher speeds and not lower, for I found this out with troubles I had with my 3000GT Mit. I bought a set of wheels after my local tire store said my wheels were the problem, after $1K on wheels it turned out to be a bad tire...but made a great excuse for me to buy them since my wife didn’t want to previously. Yes, it’s sorta odd how an inch or two on level can make difference on dipstick. Glad to hear you find CT up top on best cars owned considering lots of stuff on forum being small negatives.:)

#3 ·
Just a few observations, took a road trip to Rhode Island last week. Mom real sick, not what I planned and I was mentally distracted most of the ride. Anyway, just wanted to give forth a few thoughts.

First, did nor burn any oil, thought it was a 1/2 quart down but remembered that someone said make sure it is real flat. Just checked it in the garage at home and it is still full. So, no oil consumption in the first 5k miles. Build date July 2010.

Mileage for the trip was about 29mpg, all highway driving. Found the trip calculator in the Navi was about 1.5 mpg higher than the pencil and paper real math. Found that I got about 31 true mpg friving 60-65, and about 29 driving 70-75. No surprises there.

Found that above 70 there is a very noticeable vibration, smooth as glass below 70. The vibration was very noticeable and tried running it up to 85 to get rid of it. Under acceleration it was ok but as soon as you planed off it came back. Steering wheel jumping about an ince left and right if you let go of it. Also, vibration was quite noticeable from the back also. This is a 2WD model. Sound like wheel balance guys?

Sun roof did not shatter or blow up, no real squeeks or rattles appeared and it was a pleasure to ride in, sans vibration.

As far as comfort, the seats really do their job for a long ride. I go about 230, felt supported all the way and really felt good getting out after a 5-6 hour stretch with no break.

My wife and daughter filled the back with luggage, (Why did we need a boogie board in New England in November?) With three of us in the vehicle, the back full of luggage, and a full tank of gas the car was loaded down to about capacity and maybe a little back heavy.

Overall, she's a keeper. If I can get rid of that vibration this car may be an all time best.

well' don't ya love your CT i'm sure you injoy the ride ha!!
still don't get where is vibration came from,,, mine so far so good.

#4 ·
Sorry to hear of your Mom's illness. I hope she's doing better soon. She's in my prayers.....

Wow, so many issues with vibrations in the CT...
I sure hope it's something as simple as out of balance tires or wheels. That sort of thing can ruin a decent ride and be very aggravating.
Let us know what the dealer comes up with.

Sounds like the 'Bean' did stellar duty........sorry it couldn't have been in happier circumstances.

Cheers, keep the chin up,

Colin.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear of your Mom's illness. I hope she's doing better soon. She's in my prayers.....

Wow, so many issues with vibrations in the CT...
I sure hope it's something as simple as out of balance tires or wheels. That sort of thing can ruin a decent ride and be very aggravating.
Let us know what the dealer comes up with.

Sounds like the 'Bean' did stellar duty........sorry it couldn't have been in happier circumstances.

Cheers, keep the chin up,

Colin.

Thanks Colin

#8 ·
First of all, I wish all the best for your mom.

As for the vibration, it sounds like it may be a wheel balance issue. Ask for Road Force balancing. My vibration is steady, sort of like what you would feel if you put your hands on a speaker with booming bass. And my steering wheel does not shake as yours does. It just "tingles" my hands.

#10 ·
Thanks for the good wishes, it helps.

I'm leaning on balance also. Appreciate the description on your vibes, felt that before I bought the car. They got rid of it, the response was that it was one tire . Really didn't ask further at that point or even ask exactly what they did. Thought it was unique to my car. Little did I know, lol.

It will be a while but I'll report back aafter I get it in. And I've made a note on the Road Force balancing. Thanks.

#13 ·
Every vehicle I've owned really. Ford, GM, Toyota, Lexus, Nissan, etc. Problems in the first year, i.e., 12mos./ 12K miles have never been a problem. It's obvious that the manuacturer pays for it.

Also, any issues with tires, make sure that you speak to the tire manufacturer in the first 12/12. I've had several complete sets of tires replaced, tires pulling, rough ride, etc. Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, all of them were very responsive. After 12 months, sorry Charlie.

#14 ·
Glad you got rid of the vibration. I put about 1,000 on my CT last week and it was smooth at all speeds. I drive a buch for work, usually at or above Interstate speeds. Best I have done is 25 MPG but I am frequently up and down the hills of western MD.
Road Force measures vibrations by placing a spinning meausrement wheel in contact with the tire. It can detect vibrations caused by out-of-round conditions, as well as normal weight distribution problems. Consequently, a tech can even move the tire around on the rim to try and establish the smallest amount of out-of-roundness, in addition to balancing via weights. That's why road force balance can be more time consuming and expensive.

#17 ·
During my road trip I felt like my car was pulling a little to the left as well? And I had to really keep my hands on the steering wheel or I would find myself running off the road almost. I took it in today and ask them to check it out, they couldn't really find a problem. Then they call me back and said they did an alignment because the computers found a problem. I took it home today and I still feel like it pulls to the left if I let go of the steering wheel. I don't know if that's because I'm not use to a front wheel drive car???

#15 ·
Thanks for the explanation, gmcc. I've looked at the ads for the machine but couldn't quite get it. This manager can obviously operate the machine and used the due care to make things work out. I trust he minimized the vibration and then rebalanced the tires?

I'm sold on this process.

#16 ·
I'm glad Road Force worked for you, Army Dad. Mine were 16 lbs. all around, which they said was within acceptable parameters, but they worked on them anyway, and got them down to 6 lbs., which is fantastic. And the vibe I felt is gone.

#19 ·
I am glad you got them down to 6lbs because 16 is no good, anything more that 17 is garbage ! we throw them out after that !

#18 ·
First long trip in my wife's 2011CT, 550 miles to and from Chicago. What a great ride. Very smooth, comfortable and quiet. The car felt substantial and handled well. Everything worked flawlessly, NAVI, XM Radio, cruise control, everything. Very pleased with it so far.

#21 ·
usually it can be balenced but it would take a lot of weight to do it ! when you see a lot of weight it means something is not true (as in round) if done properly when you road force it sould take little to no weight, you measure the hight and low spots of the rim and match them to the high and low spots of the tire. if yours were balenced to 6lbs that is good unless you see a lot of sticky weights then they just did a balence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.