Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spending 20 hours and 1400 mile in our new CT in the last 3 days, I thought I'd offer some thoughts. I know when I was looking at this site to see if we wanted to buy a 2011 CT, this kind of review was very helpful.
First and foremost this car is AWESOME!!! After owning an Audi A6 Allroad for 6 years, this car is better than it in almost every measure!
1. I'm frustrated that the Navi system doesn't have Maritme Canada in it when even the cheapest Nuvi does, but otherwise it is an excellent system with good graphics and ease of use.
2. Our fuel economy was excellent for a car this heavy and powerful. We got a round trip average of 27.4, but if you look only at the highway consumption, we got 29.2. We used cruise control at 70MPH.
3. I went one way with 35lbs. of tire pressure and returned with the factory rate of 33lbs. The fuel consumption did not vary enough to notice but the ride comfort was much better at 33lbs. as was the straight line handling/tramlining. Overall, the ride quality was excellent, much more comfortable than the German.
4. The cruise control is excellent and seems to work well with the ECO/VCM systems. I wondered if, when the cruise control demanded more power and the VCM was at 3 cylinders, there would be a bit of "lag" before it would catch up to the set speed. There is but it is was never more than about 2 or 3 MPH. Fine with me.
5. All our worries about rear visibility were unfounded. The odd split window works just fine and it is not distracting. Our daughter's cat traveled on the return trip with us and delighted in sleeping on the rear cargo cover and watching out the lower back window. A happy in-car-cat is a wonderful thing!
6. The seats were very comfortable and easily adjustable when you needed a change. The strong lumbar support was a nice way to "change-up" every now and then when I got stiff.
7. The smart key/memory system is great as long as your using "your" key. If like us, you use only one key most of the time, go get the other key and use it.
8. The little shelf/ledge below the Navi screen reflects up onto the windshield at night, so I cut up a piece of black rubber drawer liner mat to fit and put it in there. Works perfectly to eliminate the glare and holds the phones nicely will traveling.
9. This may sound like a bit of real stretch, but, compared to a wagon style car, the CT didn't even suck up that much dirt on it's butt. Good areo I guess?
10. The little flat area in front of the shifter hold 2 medium sized McD's fries. Our honda Ridgeline's giant console wins the "Where do you put the food while driving" contest but the CT did just fine.

Well there you have it!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great trip review, Skitour!

I'm getting really anxious to do our yearly trip down to southern Pennsylvania, in a month. About 1,000 miles round trip should be a good test for my new CT.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Great review Skitour.

I agree, my Ridgeline does win the food holding contest, you can have a full buffet in arms reach. And the CT is adequate, LOL.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm envious of you getting 27-29 mpg doing 70mph... I only got 24mpg doing 75 mph.. I wouldn't think that doing 5mph faster than you would translate to a difference of 3-5 mpg in savings.. Going to do another road trip and will have to lower my speed to 70 and see if it translates into that much of a difference on my CT.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'm envious of you getting 27-29 mpg doing 70mph... I only got 24mpg doing 75 mph.. I wouldn't think that doing 5mph faster than you would translate to a difference of 3-5 mpg in savings.. Going to do another road trip and will have to lower my speed to 70 and see if it translates into that much of a difference on my CT.
Depending on gear ratios, engine characteristics (RPM sweet spot) and aerodynamics, 5mph can make a *huge* difference in MPGs.

(And don't even get me started on tire types!)

;)

Although with that said, when I drove across country (out and back, MA to AZ) when I first got the Crosstour, with cruise control set between 75-80 I was getting 29mpg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts