Honda Crosstour Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a 20 hour road trip from Andeson, Indiana - Omaha, Nebraska and back this weekend. My wife and I went to pick up a grand-daughter to stay with us for a couple of weeks.:)

Total Distance =1,400.6 miles
Total Gas Used= 59 Gallons
Avg. Speed -75 mph / with cruise control on.
Temp's : on the way there: 30-60 Degree's F, on the way back 25-35 Degrees.
Filled up with no ethanol, and with 10% ethanol (didn't seem to make much noticable difference).
Oil Life: 70-80%

Overall Trip - 23.73 miles per gallon. :confused:

Here are the individual fill up stats:
14.55 gallons - 360 miles (fairly flat land, easy driving thru Illinois)
15.47 gallons - 354.3 miles (Going through Iowa can be hilly so, eco mode would go on and off fairly often)
13.48 gallons - 308.8 miles (a bit of local driving, then back through Iowa)
15.50 gallons - 377.3 miles (through Illinois back to home.. )

Other impressions:

Comfort was great, but after driving so long, no car is going to be comfortable - 20 hours driving within 48 hours is hard on the body (especially if your gett'n older :eek:).

Climate Control was decent, wife going through menapause - so would be hot, then cold.. then hot... she could vary the temps to her .... um.. needs. One thing though it did seem to only work in varying the temp's to say within 5-7 degree's + or - of the drivers temp. Didn't do well with greater differences between the two.

Cruise Control worked great, through flat terrain and hilly, smooth acceleration and decelerations.

Only saw 1 other CT, a red one that was parked while driving through Indy. Otherwise not a another CT in 1400 miles.

XM - satellite was great to have for the trip, as well as the easy to use Ipod dock. The extra car charger ports came in handy on the way back for the grand-daughters portable DVD player.

Overall... I'm dissapointed in the gas mileage, My old pontiac V6 got better gas mileage... yes.. it probably didn't weigh quite as much as the CT does, but it also didnt have Active Cylinder Control either. I expected more from that feature. Happy otherwise with the rest of the performance though. So, if I have to eat the mpg a bit for overall comfort, performance and reliabilty, I guess that is what I'm going to have to do.:p

So there you have it.. my first long road trip impressions... Great car other than gas mileage, in town or highway... 18/24 is my final mpg rating.

·
Registered
124 Posts
That mpg actually doesn't seem so bad considering I can't think of another car in its category that has that much power, weight, and can manage such a high mpg with only 5 gears. The Venza cant even manage that with a 4 manger! LOL. Still, though, it would be cooler if 26mpg hwy could be achievable...maybe cruising at 65?

·
Registered
123 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think your speed is pulling you down on mileage. I just did an Atlanta to Pensacola last month. 650 miles R/T. Three people and the girls packed for 4 months rather than the 4 days. I was about 28.5, all highway and 65-70 most of the way.

Took a longer New England trip last November and was about the same, maybe 27 or 27.5. I've noticed after 65 it really starts to drop.

Now that you're home try some driving around 65 where you can hold it steady and compare.

And thanks for the report.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think your speed is pulling you down on mileage. I just did an Atlanta to Pensacola last month. 650 miles R/T. Three people and the girls packed for 4 months rather than the 4 days. I was about 28.5, all highway and 65-70 most of the way.

Took a longer New England trip last November and was about the same, maybe 27 or 27.5. I've noticed after 65 it really starts to drop.

Now that you're home try some driving around 65 where you can hold it steady and compare.

And thanks for the report.
Looks like we won't be getting any good MPG numbers. It's my wife's car and she doesn't know how to drive 65 - 70 on an interstate. Oh well, she loves the car!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seat comfort is great... the first ten hours ... but after 20 hours in the saddle... no seat is great!

In regards to the mileage... sure.. I think overall its ok.. considering the weight of the vehicle, power, speed at which I drove... etc.. etc... Just hoping for a bit more is all. I'm sure I could get some great mileage if I just drove highways... at 55mph.. and no interstate travel at 70+. But I'm willing to sacrifice mpg for time gained on that long of a road trip.

I just wanted to report my impressions.. and stats.. for those with similiar driving habits. So in town I get 18 on the Interstate at 75mph I get 24.

Still overall I'm happy with my car... now if Gas prices would just come down ... to say.. under $3 a gallon... LOL - paying $3.65 at the pump now...bluh!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nice review

I think they rate the hwy mpg at 65. I live in Montana and the only time my CT sees 65 is in my lane (you call it a driveway in the big city). If you have awd that will suck some off too. Ironically, I had an 89 Pontiac GP v6 and got 30+ on the highway. We need to heap loads of thanks on the folks we send to DC for such crummy mileage....they keep mandating more and more emission reductions and I wonder if they have long since reached the point that the gains are far offset by greater fuel consumption, cost factors, reliability issues, etc. On the other hand, as one who goes to China frequently, I can tell you for sure cars and industry need comprehensive pollution control........most Americans have no idea what real air pollution is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts