Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - quick question - does anyone know an "easy" access point for a 12V connection on the left-hand side of the driver dash area? I have a power line from the small LCD monitor for my aftermarket backup camera connected to the cigarette lighter - by running it along the underside of the dash. But, I want to get it out of the lighter socket and just hard-wire it (with an inline fuse) into a switched 12V line under the dash. This is more for appearances than anything else. But as we all know - looks matter. :)

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - except I don't know which wire is which. I'm not really interested in taking apart the console to find it. Not a big deal either way - I'll do some spelunking under the dashboard this weekend and figure it out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Would you post a picture of your aftermarket camera and display when you can, and mayhap a link where you got it? How easy was it for you to install? How well is it working for you? If you purchase again, what would you do differently if anything? I'm interested in getting one as well, just do not know alot about them.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a picture of it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig the info up - the purpose of this thread was to *get* info - not give it.

:)

I'll see what I can find and post a few comments after dinner.

·
Registered
237 Posts
well pardon me for asking for information regarding something you may know about.. regardless of thread location... I'll not ask ye another.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aw come on - you didn't see the smiley?

:D

I looked around and couldn't find the photos I had taken (and I somewhat remember putting up a thread about it - perhaps it was all a dream) so I'll take some fresh pics and post them - probably this weekend. It'll give me the excuse to re-post when I find the 12V lead I'm looking for and show how it's "dressed to impress".

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you have a volt meter, you simpley need to find the harness for the ignition switch, under the dash at the column. Check the blue(ignition) red(acc) or orange(acc) wire. You want the one that only works when the key in is the "Run" position, not turned backwards. It won't hurt if it's hooked to that, but it really only needs to come on when the car should be running. Make sure you use a fuse and a solid ground.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know it is not near the left side of the consol, but if you tied into the back up light circuit wouldn't the camera come on when you shifted into reverse?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, if you tie into the reverse-lights circuit that should work. I think that's how most of them are done. But where's the fun in that?! My buddy had a backup camera installed in his truck when he had an aftermarket Kenwood/Garmin head unit put in and you could turn it on whenever you wanted. I kept his truck at my house for 15 months or so while he was in Iraq and I always got a kick out of using the camera while driving.
Now if you could still get the backup lights to come on when you flipped on the camera (even without being in reverse) that could be even more fun, plus give you good lighting for your camera!

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK - so to clarify. I don't need to wire in the rear unit. That was a day 0 mod I did right off the bat. It is connected to the reverse lights and works perfectly.

The challenge is that the 12V power for the screen takes up the "lighter" socket in my center console, and doesn't look neat. That's what I'm going to solve this weekend (as long as weather cooperates).

I've *finally* attached a photo that I took a while back - which shows the location of the screen relative to the side view mirror, which is in auto-angle mode showing the painted lines for the parking spot in my garage.

Notice that the 12V line is running along the edge of the dash next to the door. I don't mind that - as I'm not sure that this is going to be a permanent (or even mid-term) install. But the wire run and plug into the center console is a bit of a distraction that I'd like to "clean up" visually if at all possible.

I bought the unit on a lark at the local Pep Boys auto parts store - on clearance for around $50-60. I like it - seems to work well enough, though it goes through this interesting "flicker phase" after switching on - about four or five seconds - then clears up and I have a good view. I suppose a higher quality unit would perform and look better, but it's not been a major priority.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted all the info for the wiring in post #8
Understood - just didn't get to it this weekend - weather notwithstanding. I had a studio errand that took up all my free time, and so it goes. Maybe next weekend I'll get a window. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
534 Posts
lol, no problem I know how it is, I was just worried you may have skimmed over the post

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As my favorite line from "Rome" goes: you have me complete!

:D

I still haven't done the honors yet, though I have a long weekend coming up (taking a personal day around my birthday) and may well get to it by the time the my "time away" is done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Is that a VR3 backup system? I bought one like that, but just haven't had the time to connect it to a power source yet. I Put the 2.5" screen inside the sunglass holder, and ran its line through the top of the front left A-pillar. Will figure out what to do with it over the weekend probably. How did you connect the back of the camera? Did you hard wire it in? I would love to see some pics man!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts