Honda Crosstour Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the consensus on taking my 2014 Crosstour to a Honda dealership to do this service vs. some place else like Firestone? I would really appreciate your opinions. I want to keep my car for another 3-4 years so rather have quality over anything at this point. My husband doesn't think I need a new timing belt and says to wait but I've read many horror stories on here and would rather go the safe route. Also, does anyone else have issues after the car has been sitting for 4-6 hours and having a hard time turning over? It starts up perfectly in the morning or when I drive back home after sitting for 8-9 hours from work. If we step on the gas when it's not starting right up, it will turn over. It's never not started but it scares me that is this going to be the time it doesn't. I had Firestone look at it but they couldn't find anything. My husband thinks it's a valve issue. Anyone else had this issue?

·
Super Moderator
339 Posts
Regarding the timing belt replacement, I waited ~10k beyond Honda's recommended interval and had a local shop well known for Acura/Honda work do the job. I'd be leery of having Firestone or other large chain places do the work after hearing horror stories from some friends and family about less than stellar work or trying to up-charge like crazy.

Another option is to obtain a quote from a reputable local shop and see if the dealer will match it or come close on the price. My local Honda dealership has run a very good special on rare occasions.

I haven't encountered any difference with my 2010 turning over after sitting for days vs multiple times per day.

·
Super Moderator
789 Posts
I've worked handling consumer issues for Call4Action (local TV) for many years. One of the biggest problem shops we had to deal with was Firestone. From replacing shocks their own shop replaced the prior year or over charging for work they didn't do. Obviously not all Firestone shops are the same. The way I look at it is: If a tech is good enough to do a good job on a timing belt service on a Honda, he wouldn't be working in a Firestone. He would be making much more in a Honda/Acura shop. Hence, he must not be that good and you should not let him be working on your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your comments! All in all, I think I am more comfortable with Honda doing the work. A quote from another shop is a great idea! Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I see in your last comment you are going to the Dealership. I too did the same thing, I like my 2011 Crosstour and felt the dealership (while expensive) would do the job correctly. My local dealership did the job and did it well, pleased with the service. I had the Timing Belt replaced, Valve Adjustment, Spark Plugs replaced, on valve cover, brake fluid replaced trans flushed, AC evaporator replaced (just started to fail), CV axle replaced and drive axel seal. It was more than I anticipated, did not expect to replace CV but they shown me the issue and I agreed to replace the CV.

Hope all went well with the dealership and your Crosstour!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keith from Buckeye Honda in Lancaster, Ohio works on my 2012 along with my 2000 CRV with just over 300thousand. He recommended the oil additive at oil changes and the inside of the crv engine is clean as a whistle rest of the crv well the Ohio salt has taken its toll but its my commuter. My vehicles will wait on Keith, find a place you like and a mechanic you like more you wont regret it.
I absolutely love my C.T. I did get a 1.25“ hitch installed for the boat and bikes and yes Keith installed take care of our Honda’s and they will more then take care of you in the long run. That’s my take on where to go for the long term.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you mean Water Pump/Timing Belt.
No, you would not want to push past the 105k mark. It's not worth the risk.
Call around to different dealers. Some will cut you a lower price if you ask. Just make sure they replace every part related to the job.
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Tensioner Pulley
Idler Pulley
Water Pump
Coolant Flush

Other parts involved in disassembly but not included that you may want to replace..
Serpentine (Drive) Belt
Serpentine Belt Tensioner.

There should be no labor charge to replace these since they must be removed to do the TB WP job.
If you go to an independent shop.., I'd make sure they use a quality TB WP kit. I have used Aisin for many years with no issues. It is put together with mostly OEM components.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is the consensus on taking my 2014 Crosstour to a Honda dealership to do this service vs. some place else like Firestone? I would really appreciate your opinions. I want to keep my car for another 3-4 years so rather have quality over anything at this point. My husband doesn't think I need a new timing belt and says to wait but I've read many horror stories on here and would rather go the safe route. Also, does anyone else have issues after the car has been sitting for 4-6 hours and having a hard time turning over? It starts up perfectly in the morning or when I drive back home after sitting for 8-9 hours from work. If we step on the gas when it's not starting right up, it will turn over. It's never not started but it scares me that is this going to be the time it doesn't. I had Firestone look at it but they couldn't find anything. My husband thinks it's a valve issue. Anyone else had this issue?
1. I recommend using a Honda dealer you trust for the 105k Timing belt replacement and don't extend it too long. You mentioned horror stories and they are true.
2. I am not sure why you think you need a fuel pump but your Honda dealer can advise.
3. I don't have any starting issues but again your Honda dealer can test battery etc. and advise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just found out from the dealer that the belt replacement is recommended after 105K OR 7 years old. Has anyone else been told this? I have 95K on mine that is 8 years old. I am going to get done as soon as it gets back from the body shop.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just found out from the dealer that the belt replacement is recommended after 105K OR 7 years old. Has anyone else been told this? I have 95K on mine that is 8 years old. I am going to get done as soon as it gets back from the body shop.
That is correct.
I DIY old school. I do all my Honda's at 90k.
I'd make sure they replace every part associated with the Timing Belt Water Pump job.
Timing Belt
Timing Belt Pulley
Timing Belt Tensioner
Tensioner Pulley
Water Pump
If your drive belt has never been changed, it's a good time to do that.
Some replace the drive belt tensioner, but I've gone 180k on my original. If you replace these, they should not charge labor because they must be removed to do the timing belt water pump job.
Also try and negotiate your cost before hand, some dealers run specials.
If your mechanically inclined, and got a day. You can save a ton if you DIY.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts