A/C System - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Maintenance

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-11-2016, 07:59 PM   #1
navybrat02

Default A/C System

Drove 3 hours today. About 2/3 way through the trip my ac decided to stop blowing cold and fan didn't sound so good. The first part of the trip it was blowing great and cold. This isn't the first time this has happened and usually goes back to normal after awhile. Had this happened to anyone else?

I'm an old member but not sure what happened to my account.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
navybrat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 03:25 AM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Not an uncommon problem. Being low on refrigerant will cause the coils to freeze up and create a blockage for your fan motor. After a while, when the ice melts, it will go back to normal. I would suggest that you check the readings (both low and high) on your A/C system or take it in for service. I believe you have a 2010 model and now being about 6-7 years old, it would not be uncommon for some refrigerant to leak out.

Your account is active showing a join date of August 2013 with 192 posts.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
navybrat02

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to go get the system read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
Jennifer

@navybrat02
Was the refrigerant your issue? I've had my Crosstour almost four years and this has happened to me twice. What's strange is it happened at the same place and time of year.

I've driven from the Atlanta area to D.C., Outerbanks, Little Rock, MS Delta, Destin, Memphis, and Green Bank WV with no issue. But the two times I drove to Wintergreen Resort in Virginia and on the way back in eastern TN the AC freezes up. Both times were the first week in October (Octoberfest on Brew Ridge Trail). Both times I just turned the AC off and ran fan only, when the car got too uncomfortable I turned the AC back on and it would be working again.
I'm still covered under warranty through Carmax so I'm thinking about taking it in before the warranty expires.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
navybrat02

Surprisingly yes it happened around the same area. Can't remember where exactly though. But I did the same thing as you. Turned off and sweated for a good 30 mins (during the summer) and then turned back on.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:29 AM   #6
joao

Quote:
Originally Posted by navybrat02 View Post
Surprisingly yes it happened around the same area. Can't remember where exactly though. But I did the same thing as you. Turned off and sweated for a good 30 mins (during the summer) and then turned back on.
Same situation has happened to me during this summer heat in Texas.
I was in a 2-hour trip, and about 2/3 of it AC stopped blowing cold air. Turned it off and back on and worked again.

But only happened when driving or using AC for more than 1.5hours continuously.

Did you get to know what happened? Didnt take to service as I didnt drive longer than 2hours again and kind of forgot.

Mine is a CT 2011 EX model 78k.

Thanks
JP
joao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #7
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

I might suggest that you try running more fan and perhaps a slightly higher temperature. Running it very cold and putting the fan on low creates less circulation across the coils causing it to freeze up quicker. Also, make sure your inside HVAC filter is clean. If it is restricted, this can also cause less air flow and easier to freeze up.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #8
joao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
I might suggest that you try running more fan and perhaps a slightly higher temperature. Running it very cold and putting the fan on low creates less circulation across the coils causing it to freeze up quicker. Also, make sure your inside HVAC filter is clean. If it is restricted, this can also cause less air flow and easier to freeze up.
Thanks. I will try that. I do run most of the time in auto and normally not below 70F.
joao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
Jennifer

Well, it happened again this weekend - This time the drive was from the Atlanta area into the Mississippi Delta. Entering Birhimgham AL it began which is less than three hours into the drive and 90-degree temps. My Carmax warranty is 120k or 5 years. Guess who has another year to bug the mess out of them to get it perfect? Appointment set for Friday, May 17th.

(2012 EX V6 81k miles)
Old 05-17-2019, 06:29 PM   #10
Jennifer

Default Expansion Valve -

The outcome of today's visit was ordering a new expansion valve. It seems everyone has gotten a different answer to the same complaint.

I should have my Crosstour back on Tuesday and will make a drive to Savannah in June. I plan to not stop going there and will do the same on my return drive to see if that fixed the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement