2010 crosstour 40mph acceleration wobble - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:39 AM   #1
G9803

Default 2010 crosstour 40mph acceleration wobble

Hey all,

I have a 2010 Honda Crosstour with 102,000 miles on it. I just recently put it up for sale and not even two days after doing so I'm now noticing a vibration.The vibration only occurs at 40 mph and stops around 45mph, this vibration only occurs under throttle. If I let go of the throttle between 40 and 45 the vibration goes away.

I took it to a local shop and they checked the axles, rotated and balanced tires and did everything they could and they weren't able to find the issues. Any ideas?

This is the only speed it's noticeable, not sure what else I can do besides taking it to the Honda dealer where they'll charge me a couple thousand to fix it. Any advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as we're looking to fix it and sell it for a new owner to enjoy. It's a solid car outside of this mystery vibration that just started. Thanks all!
G9803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Not quite sure how the shop checked the axles for out of balance??

Last time we had a vehicle like this in the shop, we put it on the lift and accelerated to the vibration speed. With a tech both in the car and under the car (with a vibration analyzer) we were able to detect a slightly bad axle. The great part of doing it this way is that you can remove all the wheels to eliminate them while on the lift.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
G9803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
Not quite sure how the shop checked the axles for out of balance??

Last time we had a vehicle like this in the shop, we put it on the lift and accelerated to the vibration speed. With a tech both in the car and under the car (with a vibration analyzer) we were able to detect a slightly bad axle. The great part of doing it this way is that you can remove all the wheels to eliminate them while on the lift.
Hey thanks for your reply! They supposedly swapped out the axles for some generic version, he did claim Honda axles were the most expensive and our best bet. I'm curious if I put the car on Jack's and tested it without the tires in, if it'll still wobble. I'm at a loss and not sure what to do at this rate but I'd sooner fix it myself.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:44 PM   #4
2010BlackPearl

Hi,

I recently obtained a 2010 Crosstour with almost 120,000mi on it and had the same “wobble” around 20-30mph. It was worse upon acceleration and uphill. It was more of a front end wobble. I read through multiple threads on this forum that really helped me diagnose the problem. It was a front end vibration around 20-30mph and then around 65-70mph, more exaggerated going uphill.

It was not alignment, wheel balance, shocks, or transmission shudder. I had all these items checked and recently had transmission fluid changed and computer checked and updated for transmission shudder. I had an alignment, wheel rotation and balance, and all 4 strut assemblies replaced. I have a 2WD.

What ended up fixing the problem was Honda OEM L front axle, R front axle, and intermediate shaft. I ended up buying them from an online Honda dealer that was about 25% cheaper than the local dealer.

I first had a rebuilt L axle, then aftermarket R axle, then both L and R aftermarket axles. This slowly improved the problem, but the “wobble” was still there. Possibly an OEM Honda L and R axle might have fixed the problem, but because I was so deep in the issue, I just added the OEM Honda Intermediate shaft while the axles where already off. Apparently there is a bearing on the intermediate shaft that can go bad also. It was probably about $1,000 for parts without labor, but they were all OEM Honda.

I instantly noticed the fix and no wobble. So far so good after about 5K mi on it. I ended up having the front motor mount and side motor mount replaced also because they were bad, probably because of the axles and VCM activation.

Hope this helps, but from my research Honda OEM axles are the way to go if it is in fact an axle problem. I even tried 2 different aftermarket axle companies and Honda OEM was the only fix.

Good luck!

Last edited by 2010BlackPearl; 05-18-2019 at 11:16 PM.
2010BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #5
G9803

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackPearl View Post
Hi,

I recently obtained a 2010 Crosstour with almost 120,000mi on it and had the same “wobble” around 20-30mph. It was worse upon acceleration and uphill. It was more of a front end wobble. I read through multiple threads on this forum that really helped me diagnose the problem. It was a front end vibration around 20-30mph and then around 65-70mph, more exaggerated going uphill.

It was not alignment, wheel balance, shocks, or transmission shudder. I had all these items checked and recently had transmission fluid changed and computer checked and updated for transmission shudder. I had an alignment, wheel rotation and balance, and all 4 strut assemblies replaced. I have a 2WD.

What ended up fixing the problem was Honda OEM L front axle, R front axle, and intermediate shaft. I ended up buying them from an online Honda dealer that was about 25% cheaper than the local dealer.

I first had a rebuilt L axle, then aftermarket R axle, then both L and R aftermarket axles. This slowly improved the problem, but the “wobble” was still there. Possibly an OEM Honda L and R axle might have fixed the problem, but because I was so deep in the issue, I just added the OEM Honda Intermediate shaft while the axles where already off. Apparently there is a bearing on the intermediate shaft that can go bad also. It was probably about $1,000 for parts without labor, but they were all OEM Honda.

I instantly noticed the fix and no wobble. So far so good after about 5K mi on it. I ended up having the front motor mount and side motor mount replaced also because they were bad, probably because of the axles and VCM activation.

Hope this helps, but from my research Honda OEM axles are the way to go if it is in fact an axle problem. I even tried 2 different aftermarket axle companies and Honda OEM was the only fix.

Good luck!
Hi, thanks for the update, much appreciated! sounds like an expensive fix when we're trying to sell the car but unfortunately I don't think we have much of a choice. I've been putting off the axles I might just have to buy them and give it a try. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress once we get it fixed.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 AM   #6
G9803

Are there any special tools needed for this job if I were to do it myself? I don't have any presses if there's any bearings that need pressed in or out. Thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
2010BlackPearl

I was planning on keeping my car, so I ended up just having a mechanic do it. If you’re going to sell it, I would just try to negotiate and come down on the price.

Unless it’s really noticeable, some people might be fine with it and negotiate instead. I was considering selling, but once I itemized all the things needed for maintenance, it was not worth it and selling it ‘as is’ was a much better option.

I first replaced 2 motor mounts, did a transmission fluid change, then tried rebuilt/aftermarket axles. My problem was still there, so it wasn’t worth the time and money if I were to sell it.

I think the axles are doable, there are videos online and you need some mechanical knowledge. You need tools like a breaker bar, hammer, jack stands, etc.
Hopefully, the axles are the only problem causing the vibration though.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:29 PM   #8
G9803

Hey thanks for the reply, sounds like a fairly doable job to take care of on the weekend. I might try to source the parts this week and try it this weekend. I will keep everyone posted on the progress.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
2010BlackPearl

Hey,

I forgot to mention that when I got my OEM L axle, it was on National back order. This was in January 2019. It took about a month to get. I’m not sure if it is still on back order, but I know the past few years it has been. Kinda makes you wonder why it wasn’t recalled. There are several threads about this. You can see if the dealer can put a critical back order request in to hopefully get it sooner.

This was the reason why I tried a rebuilt and aftermarket axle first. It ended up not fixing the problem, so I would just wait on an OEM.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
ucdscott

Question Part Numbers for 2010 Crosstour Wobble

Many CT owners, myself included, are experiencing this 'wobble.' Wish Honda would recall the vehicles.

What are the OEM part numbers for the 2010 Crosstour L front axle, R front axle, and intermediate shaft?

Thx
ucdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement