Timing Belt Maintenance - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Maintenance

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #1
illingworth56

Default Timing Belt Maintenance

So I'm working towards my timing belt Maintenance, Im at about 101500 miles and I know the recommendation is 90-10500 miles, do you think it would be okay to push a little past that? I'm going through about 450 miles a week and need to extend it a little so that I can get all the maintenance done at once, I'm looking at doing the following.

Timing belt & water pump
New Valve Cover Gaskets( Currently Seeping Oil )
New Plugs, Valve Adjustment
Power Steering Flush
Brake Fluid Flush
Transmission Service

So about $2000 in total. Thoughts?
illingworth56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 03:47 AM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

I've known people who have pushed it to 160K 170K and 180K; all without a problem. The issue is that nobody has a crystal ball and can predict when something is going to break. Yes, it is nice to bring your vehicle in and get it all the maintenance done at one time, but you might consider getting the Timing belt & water pump done first, and then bring it back for the rest of the work. Nothing else on your list is as time/mileage necessary as the Timing belt and water pump work. Car repairs cannot always be convenient to our own schedule.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
pshivers

"Car repairs cannot always be convenient to our own schedule", I had to laugh a little to myself... My Better Half feels I should be able to perform all maintenance on her car while she is driving it.... -lol-
pshivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #4
edubfromktown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
I've known people who have pushed it to 160K 170K and 180K; all without a problem. The issue is that nobody has a crystal ball and can predict when something is going to break. Yes, it is nice to bring your vehicle in and get it all the maintenance done at one time, but you might consider getting the Timing belt & water pump done first, and then bring it back for the rest of the work. ...
My 2010 CT is at ~90k miles and I'm starting to think about the timing belt on occasion. So far it and the water pump are doing fine so I may let it ride into the 120k range. If the belt snaps, what are the chances of doing real damage to the motor? I'm assuming these days, it is less likely with smarter design decisions by many auto manufacturers- don't know about Honda in particular though...

My brother-in-law had a VW GTi years ago that ended up with bent valves when his timing belt snapped.
edubfromktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
sulkair

Not worth the risk IMO because even if you don't damage the engine (which it could) you'll be stranded on the side of the road.

It's going to need done anyway, why not play it safe?

This is coming from a guy who waited too long on a 1984 accord and it broke on me one afternoon on the expressway. Majorly late for work. Had to have it towed to shop. I was lucky no valve damage, but not worth the extra 20K miles I got.
sulkair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #6
skicrosstour

OK.
To keep going on timing belt, my 2010 EX-L crosstour has 182000 miles, and I am wondering if I need to do timing belt and water pump for 800 bucks, or timing belt, idlers, gaskets and related parts for 1600 bucks when it reaches 200000 miles? I did it at 1005000 miles already.
Should I have OEM or generic parts installed?
should I go to my local guy or Honda dealer?
Can I get that car to 300000 miles?
Thank you for all your answers.
skicrosstour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #7
Castle

Although you can be really good at repairing your car, but you can`t be completely sure about quality of your work.
In my opinion, you always should trust your car only to professional. Ecpesially if it had some customized details or was lowered - smtng like that.
Castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #8
Doug67SS

Default Timing Belt Musings

So, at about 70xxx miles on my 2015 CT with the J35 engine, the timing belt tensioner decided it was time to begin to fail. With the help of YouTube, I correctly diagnosed the faulty part, largely determined by clattering noise at cold start up. Technically, it IS possible to replace only that part, but partially removing a cover but it's dicey. So, rather than scrape my knuckles, I decided to have my dealer install the tensioner, the timing belt idler pulley and a new timing belt. I bought the parts myself, using my 15% off Costco Coupon then paid about $500 for the labor.
All is well, but they pressed me hard to do the water pump at the same time, which isn't necessary. As a matter of fact, we only do the water pump at 105,000 miles because it's convenient to change it while doing the belt. Rarely does a water pump fail catastrophically, it will usually leak.
So, to make a long story short, I'm good on my belt until 170,000 miles or until my water pump fails.
Seems the dealer service advisors get a little discombobulated when you have them perform service at intervals other than that which is specified by the Honda Maintenance Minder.

2015 Honda Crosstour, EX-L AWD; No Navi
LED headlights, LED interior lights
POR-15 painted calipers (red)
StopTech drilled and slotted rotors
Acura TLX rear sway bar (20mm)
Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings
KartBoy solid rear sway bar end links
K Sport Pro coilovers; lowered to 29"
SPC Performance 3 piece adjustable rear lower control arms
Doug67SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:45 AM   #9
navybrat02

My 2010 EX is sitting around 114k and still has all original parts from when I got the car. Not sure what the previous owner had done up to the 30k mark though. Considering putting mine in sometime soon to get the timing belt, water pump, tensioner pulleys, serpentine belt, all fluids, and a couple others done. Wife keeps freaking out about the possibility of it going...
navybrat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
RoyfromTroy

My 2013 CT has 90,000 miles so the timing belt replacement according to Honda is approaching. I replaced the belt on my 2008 Accord (both vehicles with VTEC V6 engine) a 100,000 miles after warning from my service advisor. When I examined the replaced belt, I could not see any sort of wear or potential damage. Did not use a microscope. There has to be a reason that Honda wants the belt replaced at 100,000 miles, but.......I suppose $1,000 insurance??
RoyfromTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #11
navybrat02

So I took my car in mid March and got the timing belt, water pump, serpentine belt, power steering pump, oil seals and coolant flushed. Well 2 weeks ago my wife and I were leaving a restaurant and I lose all steering and the battery light came on. I've had my car back for 3 weeks by then. Well I pop the hood and the serpentine belt had come off the pulleys. Thought to myself this is an easy fix and start getting tools from the storage compartment. Well I go to stick the socket on the tensioner pulley and it falls off... WTF!!!! So after 3 hours waiting on a tow truck I was able to get it taken to the dealership. Well push come to shove they found the bolt had sheared off causing the tensioner pulley setup to spring out. Well i get a call that Saturday and they are telling my wife (I was in the shower) that I needed a new alternator costing $400 (aftermarket) because it was already damaged... Instead of calling back we went up there and inspected the pulley. I questioned them as to how they did not see it when they had it for 4 days working on the car and they tried to blame myself and bro-in-law for doing it 2 years ago when installing it... BS...... So he tried to tell me I had to get a new alternator and I was like no. The alternator is new and only needs a new pulley and nut which HONDA sells for $80. He didn't like that the little scam he tried pulling didn't work.

HAS ANYONE HAD THEIR TENSIONER PULLEY BOLT SHEAR OFF? Beware of the possibility after getting your timing belt stuff done and they have to remove that bolt. I've read on other forums about it happening.
navybrat02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:09 AM   #12
grants351

Honda quoted me $1200 & tax for the timing belt & water pump service. I found a Honda mechanic through a coworker, and he moonlighted on the weekend for $500. I bought a Gates Timing belt/water pump kit and a gated serpentine belt and tensioner kit for $250 from Rock Auto. He had it done in about 4 hours. The belts looks real good, water pump wasn’t bad. He did say he found a crack somewhere in the WP, but I haven’t found it yet. 2010 CT EXL V6, 95,xxx miles
grants351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
10act

YES 2 BOLTS IN 9 DAYS! 2010 exl 4wd 105k miles, just purchased over a month ago. Since then I've done all fluids and all maintenance dealing with timing belt etc. Super clean car except for the interior of the engine so it's had flushes and fuel induction, which improved things. Now it's eating tensioner bolts! All work being done at a Honda Dealership. Installation error highly unlikely, we are all stumped. Bad batch of tensioner? Could there be strain placed on tensioner when vehicle is operating on an incline or a decline? No seized pulleys. Anybody have any thoughts? I hope we can find answers I love this car.
10act is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement