Updated build: Sand/Beach Driving and a Lift - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Brizzzey

Default Updated build: Sand/Beach Driving and a Lift

Update on my build towards an overland vehicle:

Back in February my girlfriend and I took a trip to the Outer Banks in NC, stayed on Hatteras Island. Was able to take the Crosstour on the beach driving sections for Bodie Island, Hatteras Island, and Ocracoke Island. Only really got stuck once, there was a another time before I was stopped but hadn't aired down yet which got me out. When I actually got stuck I got myself beached in soft sand trying to follow a Ford Raptor through the beach access point cutting a corner when I should have just driven straight through a more used strip. Was able to air down and dig myself out quicker than expected. Neglected to use my traction boards but probably should have to make it even easier, girlfriend just laughed at me digging. At this point I didn't have a lift on but that would probably have helped a bit too. But it made it all the way to the Cape Point on Cape Hatteras and was the only car out there not a truck, jeep, or full size SUV, got a lot of stares.

If anyone else ever wants to take their Crosstour on the beach I'd say stick to the ruts as much as possible, keep it in 2, and air down to 16-18 psi. Also pay attention to the regulations on the National Park Service website for what to have with you in case you really get stuck.

Onto the first picture attached, that's the only picture included with the lift on, pictures later in the group from the day before it got put on. Just got put on this past Thursday and it feels awesome so far, no suspension ride issues so far.

Eco Hidden Hitch I put on about 2 weeks ago and went on without an issue, costs a bit more than other hit options out there for the Crosstour but is the only 2" hitch I could find for it. Currently has a D-ring in it for recovery purposes but later down the road will have a trailer on for light camping equipment and carry a set of kayaks. Might also put on a dual receiver adapter that will have a D-ring or ball and a spare tire carrier hitch mount on it. Currently have my full sized spare in the trunk, goes on the flat rack on top when space needed inside. Putting it on the back will give me space up top to place jerrycans, waterproof bags, bike, etc....

Trying to put together roadtrips through VT/NH and a separate one up through the Northern Maine Woods. Looking like a 2019 and 2020 trip respectively right now, plan to put on AT tires 245/65/17 by then, 245 is a minimum and shouldn't rub now with the lift on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190316_145137467.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	8597   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20190217_130720065_LI.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	8599   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190303_154947598_HDR.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	8601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190303_154926135.jpg
Size:	2.42 MB
ID:	8603   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20190217_162607661_LI.jpg
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	8605  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190217_162558195.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	8607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190303_154937197_HDR.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	8609   Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20190217_140048444_LI.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	8611   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190313_164135302_HDR.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	8613   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190313_164138424_HDR.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	8615  

Brizzzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #2
Jennifer

Default Thanks!

Awesome. I still don't think I would try it. My husband would really call me crazy (he already does) and I love the car so much I fear I'd mess it up.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:36 AM   #3
Doug67SS

Brizzzey...Great job, she really looks like a terrific beach wagon. Thanks for posting all the photos, as well. When you drove in soft sand, did you leave the traction control on or did you disable it? if so, what differences did you experience with it on or off? Thanks!

2015 Honda Crosstour, EX-L AWD; No Navi
LED headlights, LED interior lights
POR-15 painted calipers (red)
StopTech drilled and slotted rotors
Acura TLX rear sway bar (20mm)
Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings
KartBoy solid rear sway bar end links
K Sport Pro coilovers; lowered to 29"
SPC Performance adjustable rear lower control arms
Doug67SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Brizzzey

Jennifer- If it was stock still I probably wouldn't have done it, and now after with a lift on I can't wait to go back and have it be a bit easier.

Doug- So I found reading somewhere within this forum a post stating that if your tire pressure is below a certain percent of recommended pressure threshold the traction control will lock on and you cannot disable it. I believe the post stated this happens somewhere around 26 psi, don't quote me on that. But most of the time I was running between 18 and 21 psi while on the sand so I was stuck with it on, I did try to disable it but had no luck (no beep or light indication). I did have some time where I was on the sand with the tires up at 35~36 psi (I have big tires and I run them high, have had no issue) and noticed no real difference with the traction control on or off. I didn't really test with it off, tires above that threshold, and in soft sand, I really only turned it off on the more compact sand. If I make it back down there or on another beach up in New England I'll try and test it out at maybe 30ish psi, and bring an extra shovel... But if you go on the beach, bring a shovel and air down, don't have an ego and get stuck...The pickups like to stare
Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
sirdirk2

Default lift kit

how high did you lift it? did you use strut spacers or another method? it looks great!
sirdirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Brizzzey

1.5 in Accord lift from Honda Rescue Garage. Yes they are spacers on top of the Strut-Spring assemblies. Down the road I may try to do a massive conversion to a higher lift using fox coilovers.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:54 AM   #7
Doug67SS

Git it. Great discourse, thanks!

2015 Honda Crosstour, EX-L AWD; No Navi
LED headlights, LED interior lights
POR-15 painted calipers (red)
StopTech drilled and slotted rotors
Acura TLX rear sway bar (20mm)
Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings
KartBoy solid rear sway bar end links
K Sport Pro coilovers; lowered to 29"
SPC Performance adjustable rear lower control arms
Doug67SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #8
sirdirk2

Brizzzey
did you have any alignment issues after installing the lift kit? i know at a certain point aftermarket control arms and possibly ball joints are needed to get the alignment correct after lifting. Any thoughts on this with only 1.5" lift?
Old 04-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #9
Brizzzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdirk2 View Post
Brizzzey
did you have any alignment issues after installing the lift kit? i know at a certain point aftermarket control arms and possibly ball joints are needed to get the alignment correct after lifting. Any thoughts on this with only 1.5" lift?
I have not had an issue as of yet. The guy who makes the lift kits, Honda Rescue Garage, did give a note this may be a problem. But I haven't noticed it yet, I might replace those anyways this summer but right now my issue at hand is joining the group of people replacing the axles do to wobble.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
sirdirk2

Default wobble baby wobble

i am part of that group. had my drivers side replaced under extended warranty a few months ago. they wouldn't replace both at the same time since the driver side replacement resolved the issue. now a few months down the road i am getting a low speed wobble from the passenger side.
thanks for the input on the lift kit. thinking i may go the same route you've gone. the Honda Rescue Garage kit looks very nice.
please keep us updated if you experience anything weird or alarming.

p.s. did you do the rear sway bar upgrade? i did mine as soon as i got the car and wondered if it had any effect with the lift... just thinking out loud at this point LOL
Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #11
Brizzzey

I have not swapped it, that's on my summer to do list as well but at the moment I'm occupied by a move and job change.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #12
Brizzzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdirk2 View Post
Brizzzey
I've done some research after some wobble at high speed. Having alignment issues but only at 60+ but comes and goes. Ordered adjustable ball joints for + or - 1.5 degrees of camber. Getting them put in on Wednesday. Wasn't my axles going but this, my axles are theoretically good but I'm still getting them replaced in about 2 weeks since I worked a deal. Will update on if this fixes on or not. Until then I'll be staying under 60
Old 04-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #13
sirdirk2

Default Stay safe

Thanks for the update. curious to know how the camber ball joints work out for you. Stay safe out there
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #14
Brizzzey

Ball joints have been swamped, even with adjustable upper ball joints I still get the shudder from time to time, usually its totally smooth. Getting the front axle replaced monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement