AC not working, shop says it's the ECU... ??? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:14 AM   #1
Leolo007

Default AC not working, shop says it's the ECU... ???

Is it possible? They want $800 to replace and reprogram ECU because they say it's not sending a signal to run the AC.

Thing is the AC was working sporadically and after I drop it off for their diagnostic now it's not working at all... And how does an ECU signal or command deteriorate? It either works or doesn't right?

Anyone had AC issues and the ECU was the problem?
Leolo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Is the shop you took it to a Honda Dealership? If not, I would suggest that you take the car out of the independent shop and have the Honda dealership take a look at it.

Pretty much everything is tied into the ECU these days including the AC. It does seem odd that after they played with it that it stopped completely. Again, if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a different shop.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Leolo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
Is the shop you took it to a Honda Dealership? If not, I would suggest that you take the car out of the independent shop and have the Honda dealership take a look at it.

Pretty much everything is tied into the ECU these days including the AC. It does seem odd that after they played with it that it stopped completely. Again, if you don't feel comfortable, take it to a different shop.
Hey crashmaster thanks for the reply. The shop says they took the CT to another location where they have a Honda master tech and diagnosed it that way.

They previously saved me $900 because they diagnosed a similar issue to be a bad ground where the Honda dealership wanted to charge $1200 to replace the relay box.

I still think I do need a second opinion but came on here to find out if it was a common issue.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolo007 View Post
I still think I do need a second opinion but came on here to find out if it was a common issue.
Yes, I agree you need a second opinion.

Even Honda Master Techs don't always know everything!

A bad ECU is not a common problem with this car.

A bad ground before? And now an ECU problem?

Are you the original owner? Could this vehicle have been flooded or perhaps partially flooded or previously wrecked?
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:46 PM   #5
Leolo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolo007 View Post
Yes, I agree you need a second opinion.

Even Honda Master Techs don't always know everything!

A bad ECU is not a common problem with this car.

A bad ground before? And now an ECU problem?

Are you the original owner? Could this vehicle have been flooded or perhaps partially flooded or previously wrecked?
We bought with 18k miles and now has 160k miles. It was certified pre-owned so I assume no previous accident/flooding etc.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
ColoradoNordic

Did you check the relay in the fuse box? From what I have read, the factory installed relay is subject to failure. Because my a/c was failing, I replaced mine ($7) and along with a system recharge, got me back up and cooling. See similar thread. But at 160k, anything is possible.
ColoradoNordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
littlepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoNordic View Post
Did you check the relay in the fuse box? From what I have read, the factory installed relay is subject to failure. Because my a/c was failing, I replaced mine ($7) and along with a system recharge, got me back up and cooling. See similar thread. But at 160k, anything is possible.
i agree with this quote. i just replaced the same "relay" in my 2006 odyssey that had 149000. my mechanic said it was a common failure. $6 at Oreilly's and it is guaranteed for life.

i would get on youtube and see if anyone else with an accord of similar year has made a video of it.

in my case i switched it out with a similar one (as instructed in the video) and i got ice cold air. so i swapped it back and headed to o’reillys. when i got there i took out the bad and it was hot....

good luck.
i can't add the youtube link but here is the title of a generic honda one:
Honda A/C Fuse Relay Troubleshooting Problem and Solution

Last edited by littlepilot; 08-23-2019 at 03:59 PM. Reason: added youtube link phrase
littlepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
91kuhndog

Guys. Just a little look back at issues Honda has had over the years. So the ECU controls the ground signal to the compressor, pulling a signal from the high pressure sw, low pressure switch, and the control panel. As far back as 1995, when the Odyssey was introduced, the problem is common. There are vendors on EBay who will take ECU’s, and for a couple hundred dollars, will repair and send back to you. I’ve flipped a few Honda’s knowing the ECU’s were bad, usually x8–10 my money. Just my .02
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #9
Leolo007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91kuhndog View Post
Guys. Just a little look back at issues Honda has had over the years. So the ECU controls the ground signal to the compressor, pulling a signal from the high pressure sw, low pressure switch, and the control panel. As far back as 1995, when the Odyssey was introduced, the problem is common. There are vendors on EBay who will take ECU’s, and for a couple hundred dollars, will repair and send back to you. I’ve flipped a few Honda’s knowing the ECU’s were bad, usually x8–10 my money. Just my .02
Thanks, this is definitely an option. If you have links to the vendors you've used to reflash ECU's that would be great.

Also thought about just hard wiring the fan to a switch inside the cabin, or directly to the ignition, obviously with a fuse, so that it is always running when the car is on.

I think this would prevent this from happening again.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
cjsebes

I had lousy AC in my CT. I knew it had a leak so I stopped off at my local Mavis (used to be STS) and they diagnosed the compressor as being the culprit. At 181k miles they suggested that I replace the condenser too as it's was looking pretty beat up.

They installed the new parts and told me the AC was blowing cold. I picked it up and it was not blowing cold at all. Even warmer, I'd say. They were beyond puzzled and even swapped out a little metal valve/switch that they suspected of dying. That didn't fix it either.

They said that the compressor is "working", but I'm going to do some sleuthing and check myself to see if the compressor is engaging, and also check the relay. So they think that they got a bad compressor. I hope it's not the ECU.

I'm taking it back this weekend since I was leaving for vacation and needed the car. I've been lucky that the weather has cooperated with me this past week.
cjsebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement