Honda Crosstour Forums banner

New tires wearing out too soon

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm new to the forum and have already found a lot of great info. here. Thank you all!

I have a 2012 EX-L 4WD and love it. I replaced all 4 tires Jan. 2018 with Michelin Premier LTX All Season Luxury SUV 225/60R 18 100H tires. as per recommendation/talking to the Costco tire technicians, research, etc.

Currently the car has just over 89k miles and the tires have just over 22k miles on them. I have rotated the tires 4 times since the install. Twice at Honda and Twice at Costco. Also had the wheels aligned Summer 2018. I maintain the pressure at around 33 PSI. Also, no extraordinary driving conditions, almost all paved roads.

When at Honda this past Summer, they noted the wear after rotation and that got my attention. I took the car in for the 4th rotation during this past Thanksgiving holiday week and requested they re-purge with nitrogen, rotate and verify the wear. They show the current tread as such: LF=4/32", RF=3/32", RR=4/32" and LR=3/32". Wow! The care rides wonderfully, straight down the highway, no noise or any noticeable discrepancies...other than wearing so quickly. I have talked to diff. mechanics who have told me that X-Tours "go through tires more quickly than other vehicles"....hmmm. Not sure what to think or do at this point. I wasnt able to find a specific thread regarding this so apologies if repeated. Thanks again for and constructive feedback!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think those tires have tread wear warranty. to 60000 miles. I would ask Costco on how to get that warranty, since you got tires from them. You have followed all the recommended maintenance guidelines, there is no reason for them to deny your claim, unless there is uneven wear which would indicate suspension problems and void the warranty. I love when ppl make claims like "cts go through tires quicker than others", without any substantiation. I mean yeah a 4wd will probably go through tires faster than a 2wd just because it uses all 4 of them to pull, sometimes. but did they do like a real world comparison test to backup their claims? What vehicles are they referring to? Anyways, sorry for rambling on, i would try to claim warranty.

#4 ·
Honestly, i think they either rated them wrongly for mileage or there must be a defective batch or something. Look at the reviews for this particular tire on Michelin site:

https://www.michelinman.com/tires/premier/premier-ltx.html

I do not think that there is anything wrong with your car, if that's what you are getting at. The tread wear is even and no vibrations. If you had any suspension problems the car would not drive smoothly and there would be tell tale signs in the way the tires wear as well. Unless you do burnouts all the time I would blame it on the quality of the tires. Actually, if you did burnouts it could also be told from the tire wear.

#6 ·
I have used Michelin over the years and have found they aren't as durable as they used to be and the price is no longer worth it. They are good, but not great. The CT recommends 32psi on all tires and that is where I keep the pressure. I live in the Chicago area and last year I installed Goodyear Ultra Grip Winter tires on our 2010 CT EX 4WD. They are by far the best tire I have ever put on a car, and I have used GoodYear in the past without much accolade so I was hesitant to install these tires. We got our 2010 CT with 30,000 miles on it, with the original Michelin OEM tires, and they had good tread left but were old, and Michelins harden after a couple of years. The tires looked good but rode hard and were very noisy. I put Uniroyal Tiger Paws on the car and it rode great, handled better, and was MUCH quieter. But Tiger Paws are softer and wear faster, and aren't too good for winter driving. The Ultra Grip tires provide outstanding traction in all weather conditions, and the superior performance is quite noticeable in snowy and wet road conditions. They do cut into the mileage by about 1.5 to 2 mpg but it is well worth it for the results. I do put the Tiger Paws back on in the summer. We love the CrossTour!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.