Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Subwoofer

38K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Ang 
#1 ·
Either the subwoofer in my CT is very weak or it is broken. Even with the sub volume turned all the way up and the fader pushed all the way to the back, I can't tell the if the sub's doing anything.

Anyone else have this issue?

-fred

#3 ·
Dam, Fred, that thing should be shakin' the car........:eek:

unless your source is shy on lows.....

Time for a visit to Mr. Dealer.
G/L
C.

You have the factory subwoofer too right? And it really shakes your CT?

#7 ·
Has anyone accessed the subwoofer compartment? I was thinking of changing the sub, 2 speakers and the tweeters since I still have a set of Dotech speakers, tweeters and a 12" Dotech sub that was going into the RL but then I got ill. Photos and instructions would be welcome. Thanks

#10 ·
I am lost when people talk about radio stuff. I would have no idea what a subwoffer even does (although I do know my wife set the base and the subwoffer at its highest setting....have no idea if that is right or not, but with certain music the base is very noticable).

When I drive, I use the radio for background noise.

#11 ·
I am lost when people talk about radio stuff. I would have no idea what a subwoffer even does (although I do know my wife set the base and the subwoffer at its highest setting....have no idea if that is right or not, but with certain music the base is very noticable).

When I drive, I use the radio for background noise.
yes and with some of the garbage on the radio these days that's about all it's good for ......... :D ---just kidding......I'm showing my age here so take no notice.;) -- Thankfully there are many stations out there that cater to just about any music taste and genre.

But about your statement about radio stuff -- It's all about personal taste, really.
I've noticed in recent years the accent on bass and that the systems now are set up more for that purpose with the use of more power and 'woofers' to reproduce the low frequencies (low notes that typically 'thump' or drone)

Along with that, tho, is the ability to accent the trebles, as well, with the use of good tweeters and midrange speakers, which helps me in my more senior years regain my ability to hear the highs as well.:p

Enjoy. These days the radio and music experience is a whole lot better than what it used to be...:)

C.

#14 ·
Rob and anyone else that doesn't have enough low-end coming through....check or have your sub (in the cargo area) checked for it's connection. You should have ample bass being put out ....(unless you're an 18 yr. old gangsta in which case you've got to modify the whole system)

#16 · (Edited)
My main problem with the sub is that it is only felt when you are in the trunk area. It does not resonate throughout the entire car. I was looking into replacing the sub, so I took it to a shop. The installer did not take the panel off completely because other panels have to be removed but there is not much space behind the sub because that's right next to the wheel well. Also, replacing the sub without an amplifier is pointless. No matter how powerful the new sub, the most you will notice is about a 5 to an optimistic 10 percent difference if you are running it directly from the factory wiring. Problem with adding an amp is that it messes with the Active Noise Cancelling, which consists of mics placed around the car. You can disconnect it from the back of the head unit but one of the mics that the ANC uses is the one used for the Hands Free Link, so it will not function optimally. And you will then need to replace the speakers and get an amp for those so they do not get over powered by the sub. And that point you might as well swap out the head unit for one that allows you to control the sub and the amps, which requires a new dash kit lol.

In a very detailed way I am basically saying, if you're not willing to change it all its not worth changing lol. Had to do this in the accord coupe. First, I started with the sub (pioneer 12 in), a 2 channel amp, and 4 pioneer 4 ways. I had no real control over anything due to the stock head unit so I went back. I then got 2 pioneer tweeters to replace the stock ones, a 4 channel amp for the speakers, a capacitor, and ended up getting a pioneer double din head unit to be able to control it all with ease. Also had to buy an adapter to still be able to use the steering wheel controls and a bypass switch was placed in a hidden spot to allow the head unit to play movies while driving (I know its illegal... don't care lol). You do lose the factory clock and Handsfree Link by replacing the radio. I can take some pics of the set up if you want since they're basically the same. Just gotta wait till 2mro when there's light lol.

#21 ·
Problem with adding an amp is that it messes with the Active Noise Cancelling,
what about tapping in line level to acquire the signal from the sub? i had to do this (with my rear speakers) in my 01 civic and while the line level converter approach is never ideal, it works. you'd just need to feed power to the trunk (or possibly tap into the power line in the back?) to power it all. just a thought.

#18 ·
Lol I had to do so much to the coupe to make it sound the way I wanted I just left the CT alone... If you have a good experience with the sub and there is a noticeable difference please let me know the model number for the sub.

#20 ·
My sub is almost non-existant as well. From the driver's seat I'm not getting any more base than my Grand-Prix had and that car didn't have a sub (although the sound quality is better the bass isn't) I set my radio to full rear, full bass and full sub but unless i'm in the trunk compartment I can't hear any bass to speak of. Can a wire problem cause the subwofer to be really weak?

#22 ·
I will throw this idea at the installer and see if he can try that... I rather not lose the ANC but I have survived without it until now lol...

#23 ·
I'm really dissapointed. I brought my car to the dealership today for my courtesy 3 month check. I had them check the sub (because I can only hear it work when I'm in the cargo area) and they told me that that's normal. When I play with the radio settings I can turn the sub all the way up and all the way back down again and I notice ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE from the driver's seat. WTF?!?!?!?!?! Am I missing something? I don't wantto shake the car next to me but I would like to notice the sub.

#24 ·
I'm really dissapointed. I brought my car to the dealership today for my courtesy 3 month check. I had them check the sub (because I can only hear it work when I'm in the cargo area) and they told me that that's normal. When I play with the radio settings I can turn the sub all the way up and all the way back down again and I notice ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE from the driver's seat. WTF?!?!?!?!?! Am I missing something? I don't wantto shake the car next to me but I would like to notice the sub.
it is the sub produce less Bass?? that is it are you missing?

#25 ·
Basslink ???

Thought i'd add this here.

1st, new here, hello all just got the CT and love it!!!

now the revevent part, I have the basslink from my TL and was wordering if there's a way to hook it in so that it won't get F@#$^& up by the ANC. On the TL we would just disconnect the ANC mics (front and rear) and it worked perfectly. The basslink can take speaker or line inputs.

hoping i can use this (or it's off to ebay)...

Thanks

#28 ·
I agree the sub woofer on the CT is.. rather weak. I have noticed though that when in XM mode on the radio, I am getting twice the amount of bass as I do when in FM / Aux/ Cd etc, etc. mode. The settings are the same levels for all the modes, it is just an appreciable difference in the amount of bass that is coming through when in XM mode. Anyone else notice this?

#32 ·
Well thanks for verifying I'm not just hearing things... I still find it odd that the bass is stronger from a digital source, I've not heard that in any other car or audio I've listened too.

#33 ·
What audio settings are people using?

Maybe this should be a separate thread, but it seems related to the sub and bass settings people are describing. CNET's review of the Crosstour had praise for the sound quality. I've been pretty happy with the sound quality, but I would've appreciated a cheat-sheet from CNET to know what they set the bass, treble, etc at.
Mine is like this:
Bass*+6
Treble*+4
Fade R3
Balance Ctr
Sub*+6
SVC Mid

I don't feel like the sub is doing much, either. Any suggested improvements?

#34 ·
Family Guy, your setting are very similar to mine except I keep the sub on 4 or 5. From a good digital source, Ipod or CD, I can hear and feel the sub woofer, from the FM radio, not so much.
Is the sub woofer like my son's 12" Kicker in the trunk of his car, where you can fell him driving down the street, no, but it works for me.

#35 ·
Thanks for the reply! I'm happy with the sound quality and there is enough bass for me, but I honestly can't tell any difference when the sub is at -6 or +6. I have to stand by the open hatch to tell that it's doing anything.
That, and I'm just curious if any stereophiles want to share their setup tips!

#36 ·
Same here all of the bass I hear is coming out of the front speakers. If I fold the seat down its slightly more noticeable but I can't drive around with the seat down when I'm not using the trunk lol. The coupe has a crazy sound system so I've been lazy with the sound system on the CT smh...