Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Subwoofer

38K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Ang 
#1 ·
Either the subwoofer in my CT is very weak or it is broken. Even with the sub volume turned all the way up and the fader pushed all the way to the back, I can't tell the if the sub's doing anything.

Anyone else have this issue?

-fred

#37 ·
Most music on the radio, and even a bit on satellite lose those frequencies. Fading to the rear won;t do anything to increase the output, it's not like and old 4-channel system from back in the day. The sub has it's own channel and the sub control is all that controls it seperately from the main volume.

Mine thumps pretty good, especially for a factory sub. In most cars you never know it's there. I used to work in car stereo when I was younger, and still have some ghetto subs in my mustang, that never get turned up anymore lol, so I think I'm a decent reference on the subject. If you're not hearing it at all, run by the dealer and have them check it out.

#38 ·
The rear speakers suck! I have to turn the fader almost all the way up and volume really turned up to even hear them. I have heard several accounts about how bad the system performs. I have a 10 CT so Im in that category. Any new suggestions for a fix? If I was to replace the rear speakers with something good, is there something that I can just exchange into the existing space w/o any mods?...

#39 ·
Does anyone know how to connect to stock subwoofer because I'm using a 12inch kicker and want to use the stock one as well but have no idea how I get too much noise interuption plus I'm out of Ideas. Plus I want to change the door speakers for better ones any ideas wants good.?

#40 ·
My last car, an `06 Ford Freestyle LTD had WAY better audio reproduction than my CT does. Not that my CT audio isn't good... I still think it's better than most.

With that said - I once heard that speakers are 80% of the stereo... and Good quality speakers will sound 20% better.

Now my question is this... with car audio starting to be so high in quality... Can just simply chainging the speakers (direct swap) improve the audio w/o adding amps, crossovers, or disabling ANC?

#42 ·
That opens up a new question:

What speakers can I replace (ie. tweeters up front, front door speakers, etc.)that won't affect the ANC?

Somehow I wish there was a speaker upgrade package - specific to our vehicle.

#43 ·
I believe it was somewhere on this board (maybe even this thread) where someone inquired and was informed by a knowledgable source, that changing out speakers would adversely effect the ANC.

Although my simple brain tells me that it can't be that much of a difference because if the stereo (or ANC) wishes to produce a certain frequency of noise, it will be able to produce it regardless of the quality of the speaker (presuming the speakers aren't junk).

So therefore, would new, better speakers work just as well with the ANC (if not better)?

It's not like if you swap out poor speakers for better speakers all of a sudden the recordings sounds worse... infact, they sound closer to what they "should" sound like.

Right?

Any audio engineers in there that feel like helping me make sense of this?

#44 ·
I have tried to find out how to remove the liner to get at subwoofer. Then I finally found a document that outlines the steps. steps 1 thru 19. (it takes some work to do it)

do a google search for 13hitch.pdf. it will bring you to a PDF on installing the hitch. the sets thru 19 will show you how to remove liner.

#46 ·
My main problem with the sub is that it is only felt when you are in the trunk area. It does not resonate throughout the entire car. I was looking into replacing the sub, so I took it to a shop. The installer did not take the panel off completely because other panels have to be removed but there is not much space behind the sub because that's right next to the wheel well. Also, replacing the sub without an amplifier is pointless. No matter how powerful the new sub, the most you will notice is about a 5 to an optimistic 10 percent difference if you are running it directly from the factory wiring. Problem with adding an amp is that it messes with the Active Noise Cancelling, which consists of mics placed around the car. You can disconnect it from the back of the head unit but one of the mics that the ANC uses is the one used for the Hands Free Link, so it will not function optimally. And you will then need to replace the speakers and get an amp for those so they do not get over powered by the sub. And that point you might as well swap out the head unit for one that allows you to control the sub and the amps, which requires a new dash kit lol. In a very detailed way I am basically saying, if you're not willing to change it all its not worth changing lol. Had to do this in the accord coupe. First, I started with the sub (pioneer 12 in), a 2 channel amp, and 4 pioneer 4 ways. I had no real control over anything due to the stock head unit so I went back. I then got 2 pioneer tweeters to replace the stock ones, a 4 channel amp for the speakers, a capacitor, and ended up getting a pioneer double din head unit to be able to control it all with ease. Also had to buy an adapter to still be able to use the steering wheel controls and a bypass switch was placed in a hidden spot to allow the head unit to play movies while driving (I know its illegal... don't care lol). You do lose the factory clock and Handsfree Link by replacing the radio. I can take some pics of the set up if you want since they're basically the same. Just gotta wait till 2mro when there's light lol.
There is an option to set the noise cancellation level by low, medium, and high, or turn it off completely.