Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Surge when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Russ 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm new here:). Just purchased a 2013 ct v6. 100k miles, about a month ago. and sometimes the car lunges when shifting gears. It was barely noticeable at first but now it's more prominent. I did have the transmission fluid and deferential fluid replaced. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

#5 ·
I have a 2012 v6-l version. With a similar issue from a dead stop it would lurch before it would engage into the next gear. We were thinking it was engaging but the transition was the issue. It was use tribotex with the last oil change which help smooth out the transition. The lurch became less aggressive with time.

#9 ·
So, Dealer mechanic could not feel anything and neither could I after about an hour drive to the dealer. But i do still feel it in the morning and after work everyday. So, i guess, it only happens when the car is cold, or maybe only when not at the dealer :)

#12 ·
I have a 2014 EX-L 4WD that did this. I had them change the transmission fluid and update the car's software. It still did it periodically after that.= but only when it was cold outside.

I've come to the conclusion that the transmission fluid needs to warm up. Once the car comes up to temperature, it stops.

Go read technical service bulletin 16-062. Then take it to your dealer and tell them you want the transmission fluid changed. It should help.

#13 ·
Finally, got my S-VCM controller and installed it. Only drove about 200 miles with it on. eco light is gone and i like the smoother ride but it did not help the original issue. So, VCM is not the culprit.
I've learned how to live with it now and even prevent it most times but i have not given up yet and will continue trying to figure it out :)

#14 ·
I had my 2010 in to have the timing belt replaced and brought up the transmission issue, shudder shifting at 20-25 mph. This was at a Honda dealer, they changed the trans fluid and said the problem was with the torque converter. The fluid was changed and I was told it might take another fluid change to correct the issue. So far the issue has been fixed.

#15 ·
With the V TEC engine and the economizer function it is important to use the OEM recommended engine oil. Some people, even mechanics, will put a heavier viscosity oil in thinking it's better for the engine. It's not, and it will affect or even negate the V TEC function on the engine. While V TEC only kicks in at 4200 rpm, the performance of the transmission is monitored and controlled according to the performance of the engine. We have a 2010 EX 4WD and we did have the transmission reprogrammed per the recall bulletin, but we were not having any issues with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.