Tranny Drain and Flush - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Maintenance

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Huntha10

Default Tranny Drain and Flush

2012 X-tour EX 2WD 3.5L

Does anyone know which hose coming from the trans-cooler is the supply and return? Going to flush the system, so i can get the ATF out of the torque converter

Thanks
Huntha10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Honda does NOT recommend flushing their transmissions or the use of any additives. The pressure in some flush machines can be excessive and do damage. Instead, I would just change the transmission fluid on a more frequent basis if you have a concern. I would make sure to ONLY use the Honda DW-1 fluid (much cheaper to purchase on Ebay) see:

More information about doing a transmission fluid change can be found here.

https://www.crosstourownersclub.com/f...t=transmission

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crashmaster; 07-16-2015 at 11:17 PM.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Huntha10

Im not talking flushing with a machine. Im talking about disconnecting the line and have another hose that fits on to the return side running into a bucket while the engine is running and pouring ATF back into the case via the tranny dip stick. Thus getting all the ATF out of the torque converter. Ive done it on older hondas I've had. Im just not sure what line i need to disconnect.
Huntha10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
itsmejakub

Hello.

This is a good question. I want to do my first ATF change. I have a 2010 EXL CT with 85,000. I don't know if the previous owner ever did it. I never did this on the CT, so I have a few questions.

How do I get as much fluid out of the transmission?

Should I use Luckas Transmission Additive? - i used it on all my older hondas before and it worked wonders.

I want to change the Differential and Transfer-case fluids also. How do I go about doing that?

I also, read about magnetic drain plugs. Should I (or can I) get them for all? Tranny, Diff and Tansfer-case.
itsmejakub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Hope this helps.

This is a good question. I want to do my first ATF change. I have a 2010 EXL CT with 85,000. I don't know if the previous owner ever did it. I never did this on the CT, so I have a few questions.

How do I get as much fluid out of the transmission?
The difficulty and risk is high compared to just remove 3 quarts, by just removing the drain plug. If you remove 3 quarts at each oil change after 5 or so oil changes you will have in essence changed most all the fluid. The transmission holds a total of 8.3 quarts.

Should I use Luckas Transmission Additive? - i used it on all my older hondas before and it worked wonders.
Honda does not recommend any type of additives. I don’t know if you have an extended warranty or not, but if you do, you take the risk of having Honda deny your claim. Lucas makes both an Automatic Transmission Fluid Conditioner and a Semi-Synthetic Automatic Transmission fluid. Again, best to use only Honda DW-1 Fluid.

I want to change the Differential and Transfer-case fluids also. How do I go about doing that?
This service is very easy. Remove drain plug, drain fluid, reinstall drain plug. Then remove the fill plug. Add fluid. Reinstall the fill plug. See, very easy.

I also, read about magnetic drain plugs. Should I (or can I) get them for all? Tranny, Diff and Tansfer-case.
I’m a big believer of The Gold Plug for magnetic drain plugs. There are cheaper, but when the magnet falls out, or the threads start to cross thread, you will appreciate a heavy duty drain plug. For a 2012 with V6 engine here are the various Gold Plug Part Numbers. I would recommend that you check the part numbers against their application guide on their website:

Oil Drain Plug MP-02
Rear Differential AP-07
Automatic Transmission MP-10 (Thanks UCDScott for the correction!!)
Transfer Case AP-07

Last edited by Crashmaster; 07-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #6
Bob Fillare

Question Trans fluid change to Mobil 1 synthetic ATF

Good morning

This is an Auto Trans issue, any feedback is welcome.

I put Mobil 1 Syn ATF in my Pilot, a huge difference in shifting, much smoother, and that alone
increased pickup and mileage. It was a measurable amt, 1-2 mpg.

I want to do this in the Crosstour, anyone see any issues.

Appreciate the feedback

Thanks

Bob F
Bob Fillare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 05:05 PM   #7
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

There are even some Honda dealers who do not use DW-1 fluid. Instead they will use Valvoline’s MaxLife that meets or exceeds the requirements of Honda DW-1 fluid. As long as the specs meet or exceed DW-1 and work well enough to be defensible in a warranty claim situation, you will find even some dealers moving to different brand fluid.

I know of people who use Redline, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Mobil 1, Amsoil, or anything else which meets or exceeds the specs of DW-1. The most common response after changing to one of these aftermarket brands of ATF is that the transmission shifts differently. Not as much slippage, shifts felt firmer and more positive.

NOTE: Keep in mind that Honda DW-1 is a full synthetic ATF.

We all want the best fluid for our vehicles and nobody really cares if a quart of fluid is $5 or $8 per quart. It’s a small investment considering the cost of the transmission and vehicle. Personally, I always want the very best fluid in my vehicle and don’t really care what it costs. Since my vehicles don’t tow or get driven real hard, I tend to use Mobil 1 for my engine oil and DW-1 for the other fluids while the vehicle is under warranty. Once it goes out of warranty, I might consider switching.

The bottom line is that you can use ANY ATF fluid that meets or exceeds the Honda DW-1 spec.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:04 PM   #8
CrosstourNM

After getting a quote for $119 for a transmission fluid change, which MM alerted me to, I decided to change the fluid myself. Went online and bought genuine Honda DW1 and new crush washers. The hardest part of the job was finding a funnel that would fit the dipstick spout. I never found anything adequate so I had to improvise. As many have stated, the drain plug was very tight and it took some muscle to break it loose. I measured the amount of fluid that drained, and was surprised to see that 3 and a half quarts had drained- was expecting 3 or slightly less than 3. I was conservative when replacing the fluid so as not to over fill. All seems to be good and I saved myself $100. The dealer really is gouging customers on this service.
CrosstourNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
CanadaCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosstourNM View Post
After getting a quote for $119 for a transmission fluid change, which MM alerted me to, I decided to change the fluid myself. Went online and bought genuine Honda DW1 and new crush washers. The hardest part of the job was finding a funnel that would fit the dipstick spout. I never found anything adequate so I had to improvise. As many have stated, the drain plug was very tight and it took some muscle to break it loose. I measured the amount of fluid that drained, and was surprised to see that 3 and a half quarts had drained- was expecting 3 or slightly less than 3. I was conservative when replacing the fluid so as not to over fill. All seems to be good and I saved myself $100. The dealer really is gouging customers on this service.
I considered doing the tranny, and both diffs myself, but the prospect of rolling around on my back at my age made me reconsider. I will say that the rear diff needed two changes before the noise-on-hard-lock disappeared.
Many 4Runners -gone
CanadaCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
ucdscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post

Automatic Transmission AP-07

Gold Plugs website lists the MP-10 for the automatic transmission plug on my 2010 CT.

Last edited by ucdscott; 07-05-2019 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Incorrect copy and paste
ucdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucdscott View Post
Gold Plugs website lists the MP-10 for the automatic transmission plug on my 2010 CT.
You are absolutely correct. The MP-10 is the correct plug for the automatic transmission. I'm going to correct it in my response above as someone might not read to the end of the thread to get the correct part number. Good job!

I went ahead and gave you credit for the correction above in my now corrected thread.

Last edited by Crashmaster; 07-06-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement