Alignment Issues: Dealer vs Local Mechanic - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #1
ucdscott

Default Alignment Issues: Dealer vs Local Mechanic

2010 CT cannot be aligned. Having both camber and caster issues on the front right and camber on both sides in the rear.

Local mechanic suggested a camber/caster adjustable upper ball joint (Northstar 41-532) for the front right?

Dealer is telling me that the front control arm must be replaced for $624 and aftermarket adjustable upper control arms should be installed in the rear for $239 each.

Please advise.
ucdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 03:44 AM   #2
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Is the car un-alignable due to worn parts or damage (wreck)? I have found that the dealer has the latest Technical Bulletins and updated parts, alignment specs, and tend to go dealer in these type of situations. Too often an independent shop will do their best, but will have a problem and will need to return to the dealer. I realize the dealer is always going to be higher than an independent shop, but I want the job done right the first time.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Brizzzey

The dealer should be able to just swap the balll joint inside the control arm. That's what I had done with adjustable upper front ball joints from CarId: https://www.carid.com/2010-honda-acc...parentsubmodel[]=WHEEL+DRIVE|AWD+%28All+Wheel+Drive%29

I got the ones for + or - 1.5 degrees of camber but there's also a version for - 1.5 to - 3 degrees. That's just what I had to do to accomodate my lift in the front since it couldn't get aligned right for 60+ mph without the adjustable abll joints that are set to -1.5 both.

I haven't had anything done in the rear besides the lift, haven't had an alignment issue there. The only thing I would suggest would to be look on CarId for adjustable rear control arms.
Brizzzey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Doug67SS

Hi ucdscott. Unless your car has suffered a collision, or you have somehow changed the geometry with different wheels, tires, struts, etc. or your control arms and upper ball joints are just worn out, this seems odd. How many miles and what type of miles are on your car...city streets can take their toll.

Are you off on positive or negative camber and by how much? Did they give you a print out that you can post for us?

Those of us who have changed the geometry of our cars usually replace the unadjustable stock parts with aftermarket, adjustable, parts...that's just part of the game. If you plan to keep your car, and maybe do some modifications down the road getting the adjustable control arms and upper ball joints is a good way to go, but I'd do all of them, on all four corners.
If you plan to keep your car and keep it stock, I would replace every wearable item on all four corners and begin from scratch.

2015 Honda Crosstour, EX-L AWD; No Navi
LED headlights, LED interior lights
POR-15 painted calipers (red)
StopTech drilled and slotted rotors
Acura TLX rear sway bar (20mm)
Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings
KartBoy solid rear sway bar end links
K Sport Pro coilovers; lowered to 29"
SPC Performance 3 piece adjustable rear lower control arms
Genuine Honda JDM badging front, rear and steering wheel
Doug67SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:00 PM   #5
ucdscott

I believe my wife was in one fender bender early on but nothing serious.

Recently replaced the OEM struts with KYB after failure but no intentional geometry changes.

136k normal combination of highway and around town miles.

Alignment report attached.

We plan on keeping the car indefinitely without any modifications - only the necessary repairs. I would like to resolve this issue and bring the car into alignment.

Your guidance is very much appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf _0010.pdf (559.6 KB, 6 views)
ucdscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement