intermittent starter problems - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
chester

Default intermittent starter problems

Hi, new to the Forum with a very strange and intermittent problem starting the Crosstour. Every once in a while, even though my foot is firmly on the brake pedal and the car is solidly in Park, the car won't start. The power comes on - the fan blows, wipers wipe, lights in the instrument and navigation panels light up - but the starter doesn't kick in. No particular rhyme nor reason to the problem; sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes after the car has been used to run start-and-stop errands. Doesn't happen every day, either. My dealer's repair shop seems baffled and so am I. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was done to correct it? Thanks for any help you can offer.
chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2015, 09:59 PM   #2
MACrosstour64

Quote:
Originally Posted by chester View Post
Hi, new to the Forum with a very strange and intermittent problem starting the Crosstour. Every once in a while, even though my foot is firmly on the brake pedal and the car is solidly in Park, the car won't start. The power comes on - the fan blows, wipers wipe, lights in the instrument and navigation panels light up - but the starter doesn't kick in. No particular rhyme nor reason to the problem; sometimes first thing in the morning, sometimes after the car has been used to run start-and-stop errands. Doesn't happen every day, either. My dealer's repair shop seems baffled and so am I. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what was done to correct it? Thanks for any help you can offer.

What year and model is your Crosstour? Push button start? Or key?

MACrosstour64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #3
friedrice19

This happened to my car, too a few month ago. I put the key in, seatbelt chime is heard, light in instrument cluster come on, A/C blows, but when I turn the key nothing happens.

The issue is the wiring harness located at the base of the drivers side left foot rest. For what ever reason, the wiring harness comes loose (it the big fat wide white one) and the instrument cluster gets disconnected in such a way that the starter will fail to turn. Granted I have a 2010 w/o push button start, but the wiring harness and placement is similar.
Also, being that your issue is intermittent, I would first check the grounds on your car. Since your car is still under warranty, I would ask the dealer to check the grounds and wiring harness in the left drivers kick panel and trying wiggling it a bit to reproduce the symptoms.

Hope that helps
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 50W D2S, 4300K
Fogs-35W H11, 3000K

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Slotted brake rotors
OEM Cargo cover
Acura TL Swaybar

-turns

608C, front
Pioneer TS-CX7, center
OEM, rears (to keep Active Sound Control)
Sound deaden floors + doors
Color matched fog light surrounds

in wheel wells

Lloyd Mats
friedrice19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
chester

Default Intermittent starter problem

Thanks Friedrice - it's a 2014 Crosstour with the push-button start. Since I last posted, my dealer managed to reproduce the problem in the shop and replaced the starter, thinking that would fix it. A week later, the problem reoccurred. The dealer is now talking with Honda Canada, where they seem to be aware of the problem and (I'm told) are working toward a fix.
Your wiring harness solution makes sense to me, given the intermittent nature of the problem (it hasn't reoccurred in the last two weeks), and the chance that a good bump could jiggle the harness back into its happy place. I'll get them to look at the grounds as well.
I'll post if either fix works, or if Honda comes up with something else.
Other than this annoying problem, it's a great car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friedrice19 View Post
This happened to my car, too a few month ago. I put the key in, seatbelt chime is heard, light in instrument cluster come on, A/C blows, but when I turn the key nothing happens.

The issue is the wiring harness located at the base of the drivers side left foot rest. For what ever reason, the wiring harness comes loose (it the big fat wide white one) and the instrument cluster gets disconnected in such a way that the starter will fail to turn. Granted I have a 2010 w/o push button start, but the wiring harness and placement is similar.
Also, being that your issue is intermittent, I would first check the grounds on your car. Since your car is still under warranty, I would ask the dealer to check the grounds and wiring harness in the left drivers kick panel and trying wiggling it a bit to reproduce the symptoms.

Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
chester

Default update on problems starting

Well, we found out it's not the starter on my 2014 Crosstour. Dealer replaced it, and while the car behaved well for a week or so - which included a 1300 km road trip where I held my breath every time I started the car - it acted up again. Dash lights lit up, fans blew, wipers wiped, and the nasty grating noise from under the hood. Turned it off, tried again, started like a dream.
Dealer has discovered Honda is aware of the problem and is trying for a fix. So if this happens to you, let 'em know it's a Honda corporate problem.
Two other glitches that developed on that long road trip: cruise control wouldn't set from time to time, and sometimes the accelerator wouldn't respond when I touched the gas pedal.
Dealer found an error code that pointed to a problem with a switch in the brakes which affected both cruise control and acceleration. (If the system thinks you're touching the brakes, it won't let you accelerate, and won't engage cruise control.)
The offending switch has been replaced. The car is performing well as I wait for a fix on the starter problem.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #6
mdh7830

Default same issue

my 2014 is having the exact same issue. did you find out the problem?
mdh7830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 02:51 PM   #7
RoyfromTroy

I experienced this on my 2013 CT. After several visits to dealer, I was able to record failure on my phone. Honda found the issue on service bulletin having to do with rotating starter.
Service Bulletin 16-002 seemed to fix the issue, three years after.....
RoyfromTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
[email protected]

I have a 2014 Crosstour and started experiencing the intermittent starter problem at 40k. If I wait at least 10 seconds after trying to start the car and press hard on the starter button, it will usually start. But I notice that the problem is more persistent in colder weather. My mechanic, who only works on Hondas/Acuras, is puzzled.
c.stertzer@sbcglobal.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement