Honda Crosstour Forums banner

Q: Your solution for covering dash/trim panels (black interior)

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Busaboyjd 
#1 ·
Fellow CTers - I have a black interior, and have ALWAYS been annoyed with the burlwood trim pieces in the car. I'm scouting for dash trim kits, and am a bit overrun with the options of colors and finishes.

I'm not a big fan of heavy contrast (see: burlwood and black) but I'm also a bit hesitant to simply go with a black carbon fiber or similar pattern/finish. This is complicated by the number of finish/pattern combos available from different vendors - I hesitate because of fearing instant "buyer's remorse" as soon as the kit is delivered.

So I'm looking for two things: 1) examples of your awesome trim mods, and 2) recommendations on manufacturers/kit parameters to make sure I *avoid* the cheap stuff. The only thing worse than annoying OEM is cheap aftermarket. ;)

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
FYI - started to answer my own question - for now. I just covered the cap of the shifter (which was scuffed up after the car was stolen and later returned by LAPD). I'll likely cover the burlwood trim pieces with the same material and then make a decision of how/whether to go forward to extending to use the same material in other places.

Shifter cap re-dress (VViViD brushed black metallic)

#3 ·
ALWAYS been annoyed with the burlwood trim pieces

I hear you, I have the ivory interior and it's getting on my nerves as well. The wood trim makes it look like an old lady car to me (no offense to old ladies x.X).

I really liked that brushed black, looks better than cf imho. I think I'm going to cover mine with a brushed gun metal or brushed aluminum. I'll have to get a few samples to see what will best blend with the ivory.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

#8 · (Edited)
Being the son of an interior painter & decorator, I can tell you that with an Ivory interior, if you go with a black or gunmetal color for wrapping the trim, it will make the trim really pop out and make it very noticeable. If you were to go with a brushed aluminum color, it would be very subtle and more sophisticated. I have a black interior and am using a black carbon fiber wrap on my trim pieces, I put a link in another response I made on this thread. There are several other carbon fiber colors you can choose from as well. It all really depends on what look you want for the car. Post up some pics on what you decide please!!!! I will do the same when I am finished.

EDIT......Another option would be to use PlastiDip. It can be found at www.dipyourcar.com You can get many different colors in rattle cans, and it applies very much the same way spray paint applies. The nice thing about it though, is it is easier to apply than vinyl wrap, and removes just as easily if you don't like it or change your mind. With spray paint, once you apply it, you own it.

#4 ·
Nice. I would have loved a light interior, but that would have sent me scrambling for a replacement cover for the trim pieces sooner. I'm on a bit of a delay, as the front panel trim pieces just "pop" off with the help of a tool. But the door trim pieces require you to completely remove the interior door panel, and unscrew the trim pieces from the inside of that panel. So I'll do that next weekend after I get back from my road trip.

Heck - I'm thinking of covering *every* piece of chrome on the Crosstour (starting with the grill) with this finish of vinyl to see how it "takes". I see so many car projects where the entire exterior is wrapped in this material, I'm starting to get ideas. But that's a thread for another time. :D

#10 ·
I recently bought some VVIVID vinyl wrap on eBay, and had been having a considerable amount of difficulty in trying to wrap my trim pieces. I was just browsing videos on YouTube and found this. Turns out, I bought some FAKE VVIVID. I then went to VVIVID's website and ordered some vinyl from them direct, and it actually cost me LESS than what I spent on eBay.

#13 · (Edited)
You need to take a serious look at this product. I've used it to totally refinish gauge bezels and trim pieces that come out looking as new. Amazing product.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-plastic...MI2eXBmeee4wIVxkXVCh3lag52EAQYASABEgJf-vD_BwE

I already have a black interior, that would just make my trim pieces disappear. I am actually waiting for some better weather where I live, and I will be hitting my (thin horizontal) trim pieces with Ultrasonic Blue PlastiDip, and PlastiDip Glossifier. I will post some pics when I am finished. I am just doing the dash trim for now, but will spray the wood grain trim on the doors when I open them up to upgrade the speakers.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/products/ultrasonic-blue-aerosol?variant=5631654340

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.