Lug Nut torque? - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Wheels, Tires & Suspension

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
sulkair

Default Lug Nut torque?

Rotating my own tires 2015 v6 4wd Crosstour.

Found honda accord (not crosstour) torque on internet to be 80 ft/lbs.

Man this does not seem tight enough at all!

Last edited by sulkair; 01-18-2020 at 05:22 PM.
sulkair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #2
sulkair

Well I called 3 different Honda Dealerships. 80lbs was the answer all 3 times. So I went with 83lbs Lol. Still feels not tight enough, but I remember thinking that many times when torquing bolts to spec on Navy SH60s too.
Old 01-18-2020, 05:45 PM   #3
Crashmaster
Super Moderator

Love the Seahawk reference.

If you are sure your torque wrench is accurate then 80 should be sufficient. Perhaps check it again with a second torque wrench? I remember setting the torque with a click type wrench and like you, it did not feel tight enough. I went to Harbor Freight to get a beam type wrench and rechecked. It was off by quite a bit. Now I always use either a beam or my Kent-Moore J36660 Torque Angle Electronic Meter. I like to be very accurate.
Crashmaster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2020, 02:54 PM   #4
Slightshadow

80 ft/lbs is what the factory service manual states for my 2012 fwd 4cyl. Keep in mind, over-tourqe on the lug nuts could result in warping your rotors.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
sulkair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster View Post
Love the Seahawk reference.

If you are sure your torque wrench is accurate then 80 should be sufficient. Perhaps check it again with a second torque wrench? I remember setting the torque with a click type wrench and like you, it did not feel tight enough. I went to Harbor Freight to get a beam type wrench and rechecked. It was off by quite a bit. Now I always use either a beam or my Kent-Moore J36660 Torque Angle Electronic Meter. I like to be very accurate.
Haha, did you work on them too?

Sounds good! I went with 83 ft/lbs for fun, brand new Husky torque wrench. I also remember using the same exact type of wrench in the Navy (maybe not Husky.) Anyway I put 107 miles on the car since and everything checks good. So I guess I'll trust it.

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #6
sulkair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightshadow View Post
80 ft/lbs is what the factory service manual states for my 2012 fwd 4cyl. Keep in mind, over-tourqe on the lug nuts could result in warping your rotors.
Thanks, yes they were over torqued somthin' fierce from Schwab. They promised they'd use a torque wrench, which I saw them do, but after they put 6 gazillion ft/lbs with the impact wrench, the torque wrench set to 80 also goes "click"

That's why I'm doing it myself from now on.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:18 PM   #7
L8Apex

80 lb-ft of torque is the specification for all Honda wheel lug nuts. I have done thousands of laps and mounted and dismounted wheels for wheel change and brake pad change at numerous race tracks east of the Mississippi with 80 lb-ft of torque. It is entirely safe and accurate.
L8Apex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #8
royhug

Default Wheel Torque

Over tightening lug nuts can quickly lead to warping disks which you will discover the first time you apply your brakes. Don't do it.
royhug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #9
sickkid

realize this is an old post but 80lbs is well enough. many people overtighten lugs way to much. ive seen some vehicles that only recommend half that torque on a factory wheel
sickkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement