Towing - Honda Crosstour Forums
     Honda Crosstour Forums
Auto Insurance

Go Back   Honda Crosstour Forums > Honda CrossTour Forums > Crosstour General Discussion

CrossTourOwnersClub.com is the premier Honda Crosstour Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #1
acp2g99nm

Default Towing

Hey everyone, I am considering getting a hitch installed on my 2011 Honda Crosstour, as it will be cheaper to install the hitch and borrow my friends trailer than to pay for storage for some toys I own. So, is U-Haul still the best place to install the hitch on my vehicle and do they perform the wiring as well? Also, does anyone know the gross weight that a 2011 Crosstour can haul? I have to determine what type of trailer I will need and if it is worth getting this done to my car or if I should consider a truck instead. I sincerely appreciate the direction in advance.
acp2g99nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Jennifer

I went through U-Haul to add a hitch to my 2012 V6. U-Haul did not do any wiring and did a crappy job cutting the heat shield. I had my mechanic clean the cut up so that it would not rattle. The hitch does not have the two-inch opening so I just remove the adapter for my 1 1/4 inch bike carrier. There is a 200 lb tongue weight and 2k lb towing. I carry two and sometimes three full-size mountain bikes, so not getting to that weight. BUT I can feel their weight when driving. The carrier also sticks out a good bit so I have to take the entrance to one of our favorite trails at an angle to avoid scraping the road.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #3
Brizzzey

I've got a 2" EcoHitch hidden hitch on my 2010 I got off etrailer.com. It was the only 2" hitch I could find for my 2010 and I'd imagine that's the same for your 2011. Uhaul would probably only have 1.25" hitches. The hitch was very easy to install on my 2010, took maybe an hour at most, no need to cut the heat shields, it just bolted to the rear of the frame.

The wiring is not hard to do at all, I'd recommend getting the Honda OEM wiring kit since the kit I got off etrailer.com gave me the wrong size fuse. Otherwise everything is plug and play in the rear of the car to get the wiring harness installed. Wiring takes maybe 30 minutes depending on how delicate you are and how much you want to run the wiring to the hitch.
Brizzzey is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2020, 11:29 PM   #4
Pagan Wizard

I also have the 2 inch EcoHitch for my 2012 (from TorkLift Central https://torkliftcentral.com/2010-201...stour-ecohitch ), but I haven't installed it yet...........it's too cold out and I don't have a garage to work in.

Here is video showing installation

Last edited by Pagan Wizard; 01-16-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Pagan Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #5
Brizzzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagan Wizard View Post
I also have the 2 inch EcoHitch for my 2012 (from TorkLift Central https://torkliftcentral.com/2010-201...stour-ecohitch ), but I haven't installed it yet...........it's too cold out and I don't have a garage to work in.

Here is video showing installation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEC4F0l4EQg&t=122s
Pagan, when you do get the chance it goes pretty quick, hardest part is getting the rear bumper off without ruining it. Since you'll have the bumper off just do all the wiring at the same time if you want to run the connection down to the hitch. I did this after a few months of the hitch wiring coming out from under the cooler storage.

Just make sure you have the right fuse to put in the fuse box, the harness I got off etrailer came with the wrong value fuse.
Brizzzey is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement